The Student Room Group

Procrastination :(

I find it really hard to motivate myself to do uni work. I do end up doing it at the end really close to the deadline. But this usually means I don't put in all of my effort because I'm stressed and anxious about meeting the deadline.
Has anyone got any tips on how I can tackle this during the summer so I'm ready for the next academic year?
Many thanks.
Anon,

Do you find the work boring? Difficult?

Did you have the same problem before uni?

Depending on what it is, it is easy to feel more or less motivated. It might just be the modules or the assignments this year.

Try not to worry too much over the summer, but it's good that you are reflecting.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I find it really hard to motivate myself to do uni work. I do end up doing it at the end really close to the deadline. But this usually means I don't put in all of my effort because I'm stressed and anxious about meeting the deadline.
Has anyone got any tips on how I can tackle this during the summer so I'm ready for the next academic year?
Many thanks.

Its not just you. I have experienced this multiple times. It all boils down to your goals. Are you happy with a so-so passing grade? Or are you aiming to be on the top? People are driven to finish their task depending on things they prioritize.
Reply 3
Many thanks.

Hello Anon. :smile:

I can relate (me replying to you right now could be viewed as procrastination lol). I think your issue fundamentally comes down to a few factors:

1. What type of course are you doing? And how are you assessed? i.e. do you have to memorise a ton of facts, or is it more about analysing things in the exam? if it's analytical, particularly open-book, then I can defo understand procrastination as in a way you don't even need to revise for it. For memorising facts, maybe ask your peers for tips, or even look on here (TSR).

2. Your living situation during term time. As, if you're at home with parents who financially provide for you, having a part / full time job will be less important than if you're in accommodation or renting. If you have a part / full time job, this will mean that you'll fundamentally have less time to procrastinate.

3. Knowing how to balance study time with your free time, (e.g., going out with mates, and gaining work experience etc.) . According to one YouTuber, we're only capable of concentrating on studying for 4-7 hours each day, meaning you shouldn't exceed this and push yourself too far. I.e. have reasonable expectations of yourself.

4. Health and sleep. I'm a neurologically disabled, autistic student and can personally say that not starting or getting stuck in the process of work can be down to a simple thing called Executive Dysfunction. Neurodiverse people (e.g., those with autism / Asperges, or ADHD) face these conundrums on a daily basis. This may not be your issue, but I'd look into the support methods anyway.

5. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, are you procrastinating because you're facing larger issues? With the cost of living crisis, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the factors required to just live on a day-to-day basis are problematic for you.

If points 4) or 5) are the case, I'd recommend asking your uni for help.
Many thanks.

Hi there,

It is a great starting point that you are reflecting, and willing to do something about it. First thing I would suggest is set goals for your upcoming academic year, and have a brief plan in mind on how you will achieve those goals. As an example, if you set a target to achieve a First Class in each module, then be sure to set a revision/working on assignments personal timetable, as soon as your timetable for next year is released. This way you will be able to block out time everyday to do uni work. A good practice is to stay on top of the content from day one of term. Make sure you have top engagement levels with your course. You then won't have to struggle to catch up with lecture material.

You could engage in professional development activities over the summer to improve your motivation levels. This could be short online courses, webinars and podcasts, volunteering, short term work experience etc. Finding a part time/full time summer job can also be a great way to improve time management skills, alongside earning some cash that can be very useful for your upcoming academic year.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Juzer
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending