The Student Room Group

A- Level Maths!!

I can't find any Squared paper notebooks that I can buy for a levels next year so if anyone knows any high quality, reasonably cheap notebooks, Pleaseee comment them below
Reply 1
I haven't started A-Levels yet either, but from what I've gathered from others, you don't really need square paper
They sell some in Paperchase (at least they did a few months ago), they're brown on the outside and A5, but really good quality. They probably also sell them online

Though being honest, I'd advise going for A4 plain paper, it's how your exams will be and the questions are much longer than GCSE so you can still easily keep it neat.
Reply 3
Type "squared paper notebook" into ebay and get one with good reviews.
Original post by robertgallacher
They sell some in Paperchase (at least they did a few months ago), they're brown on the outside and A5, but really good quality. They probably also sell them online

Though being honest, I'd advise going for A4 plain paper, it's how your exams will be and the questions are much longer than GCSE so you can still easily keep it neat.

Thank you, do they also sell them in A4?
Did a-levels maths and dint use squared paper. Nobody in my class used it either. We just used regular lined paper, it’s a bit of change from using squared but you get used to it quickly. No need to bother with it tbh.
Original post by Bill V2
I haven't started A-Levels yet either, but from what I've gathered from others, you don't really need square paper

oh right okay, are people just using regular lined?
Original post by Anonymous17!
Did a-levels maths and dint use squared paper. Nobody in my class used it either. We just used regular lined paper, it’s a bit of change from using squared but you get used to it quickly. No need to bother with it tbh.

oh right okay, thank you. What notebook did you use?
Reply 8
Original post by TravelElephant06
oh right okay, are people just using regular lined?

Yeah I think so - that's what I'm planning on using.
oh right okay, thank you. What notebook did you use?

Just a regular a4 lined paper notebook that you can buy from Poundland. Trust me, you’re going to go through a lot of paper at a-level, you don’t need it to be ‘high quality’, more like high quantity. You can thick A4 lined paper notebooks from Poundland that contain about 300 sheets. If not Poundland, then WHSmith is a good place to go. Don’t get cute looking, small dainty notebooks and don’t bother with overpriced notebooks either. Won’t be worth it.
oh right okay, thank you so much
Original post by Anonymous17!
Just a regular a4 lined paper notebook that you can buy from Poundland. Trust me, you’re going to go through a lot of paper at a-level, you don’t need it to be ‘high quality’, more like high quantity. You can thick A4 lined paper notebooks from Poundland that contain about 300 sheets. If not Poundland, then WHSmith is a good place to go. Don’t get cute looking, small dainty notebooks and don’t bother with overpriced notebooks either. Won’t be worth it.

Thank you so much, ill have a look online now :smile:
This is why you get a surface or an ipad if you can. I have a surface pro, haven't paid for paper for like a year. I was going through the paper way to quickly and organising them is so much hastle.
Thank you so much, ill have a look online now :smile:

No problem :wink:
I struggled finding reasonably priced squared paper. You will go through loads so you’ll probably just get the cheapest A4 notebooks you can find. There was a Poundland next to my college, so most people ended up writing on the same cheap refill pads from there.
After a bit I stopped caring whether it was squared, lined or just plain.

I wouldn’t go smaller that A4 though, it makes your working out messy and problem solving gets harder on long questions.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dancer2001
I struggled finding reasonably priced squared paper. You will go through loads so you’ll probably just get the cheapest A4 notebooks you can find. There was a Poundland next to my college, so most people ended up writing on the same cheap refill pads from there.
After a bit I stopped caring whether it was squared, lined or just plain.

I wouldn’t go smaller that A4 though, it makes your working out messy and problem solving gets harder on long questions.

Thank you so much. Most people are saying to use cheapish lined paper so i think ill buy a refill pad for the start of my day folder
I can't find any Squared paper notebooks that I can buy for a levels next year so if anyone knows any high quality, reasonably cheap notebooks, Pleaseee comment them below

Lined paper is fine but at times (well from own experience) when doing graph transformations teachers have said to use squared paper
Original post by CurryCurry2468
Lined paper is fine but at times (well from own experience) when doing graph transformations teachers have said to use squared paper

So do you reckon I should bring in two types just tp be safe? Im planning on doing Biology and Chemistry anyway so ill already be bringing in lined
So do you reckon I should bring in two types just tp be safe? Im planning on doing Biology and Chemistry anyway so ill already be bringing in lined

May as well just bring in lined, but take in some squared paper if you know that you'll need it for a certain lesson, and that the teacher won't have any to give out.
Original post by Bill V2
May as well just bring in lined, but take in some squared paper if you know that you'll need it for a certain lesson, and that the teacher won't have any to give out.

Okie dokies. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest