The Student Room Group

What's the Best Discount(s) Youve Gotten On Games?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ozzyoscy
In both scenarios they rob the developers and publisher of a sale because of one's own delusional sense of entitlement and isn't taken kindly to.

The only difference is one route is illegal, the other's plain sad but can tell oneself it's morally ok because of a loophole.

Yes agree, both short the developer.

I wouldn’t return a game had I completed the entire thing but I don’t think it stacks up like for like with piracy.
Original post by mnot
Yes agree, both short the developer.

I wouldn’t return a game had I completed the entire thing but I don’t think it stacks up like for like with piracy.

Presumably they're against piracy because it's taking money from the developer.
Presumably they're against piracy because it's taking money from the developer.

Yes, but one is propping up the whole trade of illegal copyright pirates & IP theft, which is far more extensive than returning a game, which retailers allow customers to do.

I get your point about returns, I think it’s valid. But piracy is a different ball game & I can see how it’s possible for someone to be ok with one & not the other
Original post by mnot
Yes, but one is propping up the whole trade of illegal copyright pirates & IP theft, which is far more extensive than returning a game, which retailers allow customers to do.

I get your point about returns, I think it’s valid. But piracy is a different ball game & I can see how it’s possible for someone to be ok with one & not the other

So they support not giving money to developers, but is against not giving money to developers if that supports a whole trade of not giving money to developers. :biggrin:
You buy games, collect all the trophies, then send them all back for a refund and you're telling me to grow up?

And because I questioned the contradiction?...

...Grow up.

the way retail works is that amazon buys the games from the wholesaler / publisher for far less than the retail price (general rule of thumb in the UK is that RRP is 1.8 times the cost of product). consumer buys game from amazon and after they complete the game, they return it or sell it depending on how long they have spent playing the game and whether or not they have further use for it.

put it this way, if youve finished playing a game far earlier than expected, and have no further use for it, wouldnt you want to get rid of it. if it just so happens that a lot of the time it tends to be well withinthe return policy period (I tend to finish games within a week or 10days), is it wrong to return it for a majority of your money back from amazon, who lets face it, arent starved for cash and wil lresel lthe game afterwards (also how is this different to say selling a game to cex and game after finishing / not having a need for it?).

how is this the same as stealing or pirating a game, which robs the people who make the games of their hard earned money. At the same time, is it my fault I tend to complete games far earlier than expected (prime example, playing watch_dogs 2 for 3-4 hours a day resulted in me getting a platinum trophy in 6 days, this involved exploring every nook and cranny at my own pace, doing all side missions and doing all main missions whilst enjoying myself. Similarly, the 2018 spidey game took me 4 days to complete fully on hardest difficulty. after you finish a game, and have nothing left to do, why do you want to keep it? If i want to relive the game, I just have to watch my recordings of it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by quasa
the way retail works

I don't need to read a short essay on how 'retail works' which is just you finding excuses for your abnormal behaviour and hypocrisy.

You finish a game and even every Achievement and don't want it any more, sell it, don't act like you didn't get what you paid for.
I don't need to read a short essay on how 'retail works' which is just you finding excuses for your abnormal behaviour and hypocrisy.

You finish a game and even every Achievement and don't want it any more, sell it, don't act like you didn't get what you paid for.

at the end of the day, the game maker gets money, amazon gets money and I keep most of my money. I cant complain
Original post by quasa
at the end of the day, the game maker gets money, amazon gets money and I keep most of my money. I cant complain

Your logic is the same one pirates use it. "I'm just one guy, it won't make a difference."
Your logic is the same one pirates use it. "I'm just one guy, it won't make a difference."

dont you have anything better to do? some of us have to work multiple 12 hour shifts this week and are fed up of having to deal with pointless arguements clogging their notifications. at the end of the day, the developer and publisher gets paid by amazon for my game, amazon makes a profit from from the game I purchased and return, and I enjoy myself. how is it the same as getting something without paying for it, copying it it and then flogging it to random people at a profit? by anychance, do you view game streamers as pirates as they share IP of games they play, viewers dont pay a single penny to enjoy experiencing a game and a lot of the time, the streamer tends to get the game for free (so profiting of something they didnt pay for) or ends up getting rid of it via returning it to seller or flogging it
Original post by quasa
dont you have anything better to do?

You said before writing yet more paragraphs. If you're only replying just to make comebacks, I rest my case.

But seeing as you play games, let alone 100% them, and then constantly go back to the store or go to the trouble of posting them back to get a refund for your fully completed games... it's a bit rich for you to ask "don't you have anything better to do?"
Reply 50
@quasa

tbh, If I pirate it, and you use your legal loophole and complete the game and return it it's basically the same thing.

If you return it to amazon and they manage to resell it new (which is debatable as the game is no longer sealed and you may have used any free DLC codes), that is one less copy they need to re-order from the developers when stock runs out. If 100,000 people do that trick then that's 100,000 less copies that amazon buys and millions of pounds of missed profit for the developers.

Arguably I could argue piracy is doing less harm than your legal loophole as a great many of the games i've pirated I wouldn't have bought them anyway if I couldn't get it for free, whilst you bought that game ....and returned it, so it was a true lost sale to the developers.
Reply 51
Biggest discount was copping the FF12 PS4 Remaster for £6 in hmv, I noticed a copy at the back of the shelf must have been mispriced so I took it to the cashier that looked the most clueless and voila.

Quick Reply

Latest