The Student Room Group

Is Cass Business School good enough for FO IB?

I am considering my options for applying to uni this September and I really like the look of Cass for IFRM. It doubt i'll get into LSE and Cambridge - although I'll be giving it a shot, but so far I reckon Cass will be my third choice - none of the other targets (Warwick, Imperial and UCL) particularly appeal to me. I gather Cass is a semi-target, however, most of these threads are a few years old. So I would like to know whether it is still considered a semi-target and whether it'd be enough to get me to me into FO IB (obviously along with strong ex's, experience, AC and performance at interviews). And if there are any current students who can please provide information on how successful people have been with applying for spring weeks, summer internships etc?. TIA
Original post by lilyjonex
I am considering my options for applying to uni this September and I really like the look of Cass for IFRM. It doubt i'll get into LSE and Cambridge - although I'll be giving it a shot, but so far I reckon Cass will be my third choice - none of the other targets (Warwick, Imperial and UCL) particularly appeal to me. I gather Cass is a semi-target, however, most of these threads are a few years old. So I would like to know whether it is still considered a semi-target and whether it'd be enough to get me to me into FO IB (obviously along with strong ex's, experience, AC and performance at interviews). And if there are any current students who can please provide information on how successful people have been with applying for spring weeks, summer internships etc?. TIA

"So I would like to know whether it is still considered a semi-target and whether it'd be enough to get me to me into FO IB" -> Statistically unlikely.

"none of the other targets (Warwick, Imperial and UCL) particularly appeal to me" -> if you have offers for these, go to them.
If you know your long-term goal is FO Finance, your personal opinion on these unis are irrelevant. Go to them.
yes, but would need a good profile to back your application. the uni alone won't help much
It's not about your Uni, it's about your experience and you as a person.
Pretty sure Cass is removing its name. It'll now just be part of City Uni.
Reply 5
Original post by Buttmuffin
"So I would like to know whether it is still considered a semi-target and whether it'd be enough to get me to me into FO IB" -> Statistically unlikely.

"none of the other targets (Warwick, Imperial and UCL) particularly appeal to me" -> if you have offers for these, go to them.
If you know your long-term goal is FO Finance, your personal opinion on these unis are irrelevant. Go to them.

Thank you so much for response. Do you know by how much it is statistically unlikely?. According to Efinancialcareers 7% of the graduate analyst class at GS came from Cass in 2017. So would be interested to know why it has changed in recently.
And regarding Warwick, Imperial, UCL - you certainly have a point and I know that choosing Cass over any of them would be considered a stupid move by virtually everyone. However, I feel that I would perform better and develop so much more at a place I'm happy at and if I'm not getting good grades then it doesn't even matter what Uni I'm at.
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
Pretty sure Cass is removing its name. It'll now just be part of City Uni.

Yep it's removed it's name but they're renaming it. Apparently lots of people at Cass like to disassociate themselves from City (imo with reason) and wouldn't settle for 'City' in the name - although it is part of city aha. If it were to keep city in its name I would even consider ruling it out.
Original post by lilyjonex
Thank you so much for response. Do you know by how much it is statistically unlikely?. According to Efinancialcareers 7% of the graduate analyst class at GS came from Cass in 2017. So would be interested to know why it has changed in recently.
And regarding Warwick, Imperial, UCL - you certainly have a point and I know that choosing Cass over any of them would be considered a stupid move by virtually everyone. However, I feel that I would perform better and develop so much more at a place I'm happy at and if I'm not getting good grades then it doesn't even matter what Uni I'm at.

Majority of Cass students at GS, will be their master's students - and it's because they have a lot of finance master's students.

Also, a breakdown of FO/MO/BO split would likely display a disparity of Cass @ GS, vs Imperial, etc.

"However, I feel that I would perform better and develop so much more at a place I'm happy at" -> Getting a 2:1 at those other places is not difficult (achieved by >70%). And a 2:1 at those places is certainly better than a 1st from Cass.
Reply 8
Original post by Buttmuffin
Majority of Cass students at GS, will be their master's students - and it's because they have a lot of finance master's students.

Also, a breakdown of FO/MO/BO split would likely display a disparity of Cass @ GS, vs Imperial, etc.

"However, I feel that I would perform better and develop so much more at a place I'm happy at" -> Getting a 2:1 at those other places is not difficult (achieved by >70%). And a 2:1 at those places is certainly better than a 1st from Cass.

The finance masters has student numbers in same region as the other targets. As much as I agree it’s not quite on the same level as imperial etc, it is still a very highly regarded university - however this regard seems mainly towards the masters rather than undergrad; as much of the cass undergrad is actually taught with and at city university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending