The Student Room Group

How important is reference letter

Hi, I am an IB student with 44 PG applying for LSE BSc management. I went through LSE website and it asks a lot from reference letter regarding my selected course. I only can get from my Math and Econ teachers as Business Management teacher refused to write one for me, meaning my reference cannot have no business components at all.

Would this significantly affect my result? If so, I am willing to literally beg for him to write one.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by s8minlee
Hi, I am an IB student with 44 PG applying for LSE BSc management. I went through LSE website and it asks a lot from reference letter regarding my selected course. I only can get from my Math and Econ teachers as Business Management teacher refused to write one for me, meaning my reference cannot have no business components at all.

Would this significantly affect my result? If so, I am willing to literally beg for him to write one.

Don’t think it will make much difference. Your personal statement is all about your interests and why you would be perfect for the management course. The references is more about what you are like as a student, and how you compare to other students in your school. The specific subjects are less important with references, especially as many do degrees that are not directly related to the subjects that they studied at A-level or IB.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2

Surely your school has a policy for this? Go to the Head of Year.
Reply 3
Original post by lalexm
Don’t think it will make much difference. Your personal statement is all about your interests and why you would be perfect for the management course. The references is more about what you are like as a student, and how you compare to other students in your school. The specific subjects are less important with references, especially as many do degrees that are not directly related to the subjects that they studied at A-level or IB.

Thank you for your reply. But wouldn't it look weird for the admissions to see if I am taking Business Management HL but yet has nothing related to it in my reference letter?
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply. But wouldn't it look weird for the admissions to see if I am taking Business Management HL but yet has nothing related to it in my reference letter?

Yes possibly.

Hey, I don't think so. I am an IB 2021 graduate and I am currently studying Biomedical sciences. My HL subjects were Bio, Chem, and Econs. My references were from HL Bio and HL Economics. The reference letters are more for how you are as a person and the qualities you have, etc. So it shouldn't make too much fo a difference.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending