The Student Room Group

this year people got lucky?

ok so here goes,im just wondering,but isnt it law + medical schools allowed more student than it normally would?And like,grades were originally downgraded and then they gave some students higher than they expected??what do y'all think im not sure
Reply 1
Law maybe but there is a hard limit for medicine they cannot cross.
Original post by Mojmeer
Law maybe but there is a hard limit for medicine they cannot cross.

The government got rid of the cap on medical students.
Next year’s year 13s have missed 3 months of proper learning, have been off for 6 months and still have to sit the exact same exams next year. Many year 13s are applying for next year’s courses which will affect our likelihood of getting into university as we are competing against predicted grades compared to actual grades. I’d say this year were definitely luckier.
Reply 4
Original post by Lazarevic

when?
Reply 6

Doesn't mean uni's will want to take more than a certain number though.
Some people have been unlucky and screwed over by their school, to be fair. And private candidates that were not given a grade.

But considering the rate of A/A*s has increased by a lot, it's safe to say a lot of people have received results that they wouldn't have received from the exams. These people (obvs you can't know who they are) can be counted lucky.
Original post by Bio 7
Doesn't mean uni's will want to take more than a certain number though.

A large number have.
tehsers someone i know who isnt that smart but got accepted into law beacause the govermnet were letting more people do law + her grades were higher then she felt she would actually get
I definitely agree. Year 10s and particularly Year 12s are generally in a much worse position rn, even though no one wants to acknowledge that.
Reply 11
A large number have.

I'm not saying they will stick to the previous figure but it's likely they have their own limit they've decided on even if nobody knows.
Original post by _gcx
Some people have been unlucky and screwed over by their school, to be fair. And private candidates that were not given a grade.

But considering the rate of A/A*s has increased by a lot, it's safe to say a lot of people have received results that they wouldn't have received from the exams. These people (obvs you can't know who they are) can be counted lucky.

Everyone should’ve sat their exams like they did in most other countries. Schools have enough classrooms for social distancing during exams
Everyone should’ve sat their exams like they did in most other countries. Schools have enough classrooms for social distancing during exams

Don't think it was most other countries but yes
Original post by milliejayne19
I definitely agree. Year 10s and particularly Year 12s are generally in a much worse position rn, even though no one wants to acknowledge that.

yeah thats true,do u mean this year year 10,like the ones going to year 10 or the ones in year 10 going to 11?

That doesn't mean that unis can all of a sudden take in more medical students. The government needs to provide around £163,000 per medical student so if each medical school took on just a few extra students, it would cost the government millions to train them all. https://fullfact.org/health/cost-training-doctor/ (and this was from 2016 so it's most likely even more now)

And med schools are limited in other ways. They need to have enough doctors who are willing to teach the med students, they need enough anatomy facilities/ lab places, they need enough places on clinical placements, etc. But most of all, there need to be enough foundation doctor training posts and specialty training posts to accommodate all of the extra students who will graduate in 5/6 years time. We don't know how much funding the government is willing to provide so we don't know how many extra students can be taken on this year.

Of course, if someone got the required grades, their offer will be honoured so they would get a deferred place if the uni couldn't give them a place this year.

Original post by x_lalalisa_x
ok so here goes,im just wondering,but isnt it law + medical schools allowed more student than it normally would?And like,grades were originally downgraded and then they gave some students higher than they expected??what do y'all think im not sure

Some people would have gotten into medicine because of their teacher predictions but if they had sat the exams, they wouldn't have met the grades to get in. The medical schools council said that there could be more people failing because of this so those who wouldn't have gotten in if exams were held might end up failing.
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/news/a-statement-on-admissions-to-medical-and-dental-schools-in-2020
thats acc rlly interesting to see u guys views + facts
Reply 17
Original post by milliejayne19

I agree starting year 11 this September and it seems as were not really getting the support we need right now. Were not even getting clarity from the government if our exams are really going to go ahead or not.
Original post by x_lalalisa_x
yeah thats true,do u mean this year year 10,like the ones going to year 10 or the ones in year 10 going to 11?

The year group sitting their GCSE exama in 2021
yes, i definitely think i was lucky this year. feel a bit sorry for the new year 11s and year 13s tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest