The Student Room Group

Sitting A level as a private candidate

Hi

I was just wondering if i was sitting my A levels as a private candidate what would be the procedure?
Reply 1
Being a private candidate just means that you are entered for exams at an exam centre where you are not enrolled as a student.

What are you doing at the moment? Attending a sixth from? Teaching yourself? Studying through a distance learning provider?

If you decide to study A level without enrolling at a sixth form then you would need to decide your subjects, your exam board(s) and the specification you want to use. Then you do all the learning. In the Autumn before you want to take the exams, you start looking for an exam centre (=any secondary school or college, plus a few private places) that accepts private candidates for the subjects you want to take. Everything is then dealt with through them - exam boards don't deal directly with students. Taking Sciences or any subject with NEA (coursework) is difficult and expensive for private candidates -what subjects are you (intending to) study?
Reply 2
Hi,

I'm taking them as a private candidate, too! (CIE upcoming in October)
I don't know your country's procedure, but in mine, you contact British Council, pay them ridiculous amounts of money and they arrange the exams for you. Pretty simple tbh
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Being a private candidate just means that you are entered for exams at an exam centre where you are not enrolled as a student.

What are you doing at the moment? Attending a sixth from? Teaching yourself? Studying through a distance learning provider?

If you decide to study A level without enrolling at a sixth form then you would need to decide your subjects, your exam board(s) and the specification you want to use. Then you do all the learning. In the Autumn before you want to take the exams, you start looking for an exam centre (=any secondary school or college, plus a few private places) that accepts private candidates for the subjects you want to take. Everything is then dealt with through them - exam boards don't deal directly with students. Taking Sciences or any subject with NEA (coursework) is difficult and expensive for private candidates -what subjects are you (intending to) study?

I currently just finished my Second Year A level and with the COVID situation this year im not happy with my grades. I would have liked to sit in Autumn but its too much pressure and therefore would like to sit the exams in summer. My subjects: Biology, Chemistry and maths. So what would happen with predicted grades and all.
Reply 4
Original post by ahamed_ans
I currently just finished my Second Year A level and with the COVID situation this year im not happy with my grades. I would have liked to sit in Autumn but its too much pressure and therefore would like to sit the exams in summer. My subjects: Biology, Chemistry and maths. So what would happen with predicted grades and all.

Being a private candidate means that the exam centre just provides you with the facilities to sit an exam - no tuition, no help with UCAS. It's up to you to obtain there elsewhere if you need them. Your 6th form should be prepared to help out with the UCAS reference, including predicted grades. They're also the best place to ask if you can re-sit there next Summer as it's likely to be much the cheapest place if they will let you. I reckon about half of centres will let 'Year 14s' resit A levels even though very few schools (1 in 50?) accept private candidates in other circumstances.

Yo I can help. This really depends the predicted side. So in my case I was 1 mark off a grade and bc i wanted to reply to Oxford i wamted to retake it since I pretty much got the A*. So my old college allowed me to sit the exam as an external candidate, they only did this for retakes, during my gap year. Obviously I never got the chance to achieve my goal bc of covid but I will say my college was funny about it. The predicted grade I mean. My tutor allowed it through i think, im not even 100% sure. U should be given a predocted grade but if your college r a bunch of A holes they won't give it and considering the circumstances I think they will be willing to help u out. Did u appeal your grades? Do u have grounds to appeal it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Muhammad Razak
Yo I can help. This really depends the predicted side. So in my case I was 1 mark off a grade and bc i wanted to reply to Oxford i wamted to retake it since I pretty much got the A*. So my old college allowed me to sit the exam as an external candidate, they only did this for retakes, during my gap year. Obviously I never got the chance to achieve my goal bc of covid but I will say my college was funny about it. The predicted grade I mean. My tutor allowed it through i think, im not even 100% sure. U should be given a predocted grade but if your college r a bunch of A holes they won't give it and considering the circumstances I think they will be willing to help u out. Did u appeal your grades? Do u have grounds to appeal it?

Yes i have tried appealing my grades but whats happened is that my college have made an admin error and that means i have to wait for them to fix this error before i can appeal or anything.
Yes i have tried appealing my grades but whats happened is that my college have made an admin error and that means i have to wait for them to fix this error before i can appeal or anything.

Well that's shite. My mate got given a C coz her teacher was racist despite getting an A in her mock for bio 🙄 she was like 5 marks off A* too 💀. If u feel u should've got better try and appeal. Wish u all the best for that. What grades do u want/ need for uni and what degree u doing?
Original post by Compost

Hi, I'm also in a sticky situation. I want to re sit my exams for Chemistry Biology and English Lit so how do I go about this. Going to a private centre would cost me about 3000 for each subject. Could be cheaper elsewhere but that's the main figure I'm getting. And my sixth form denied me going there and sitting my exams sadly.

How will predicted grades work, my sixth form seems pretty non willing to help me so who will give my reference and predicted grades to UCAS. Thank you for reading.
Original post by Compost

Hi there, I'm also in a sticky situation. I need to re sit my A Level exams for Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. How do I go about this please. Going to a private institution would cost me 3000 pounds for each course subject. That is too much money for me. My school won't help me even after pleading. How will I get my predicted grades because I'm not too sure my school teachers would help in that and how can I re sit just my A Level exams because I'm guessing that's the cheapest.
Original post by Muhammad Razak

Hi there, I'm also in a sticky situation. I need to re sit my A Level exams for Biology, Chemistry and English Lit. How do I go about this please. Going to a private institution would cost me 3000 pounds for each course subject. That is too much money for me. My school won't help me even after pleading. How will I get my predicted grades because I'm not too sure my school teachers would help in that and how can I re sit just my A Level exams because I'm guessing that's the cheapest.
Original post by obsolentbutcool
Hi, I'm also in a sticky situation. I want to re sit my exams for Chemistry Biology and English Lit so how do I go about this. Going to a private centre would cost me about 3000 for each subject. Could be cheaper elsewhere but that's the main figure I'm getting. And my sixth form denied me going there and sitting my exams sadly.

How will predicted grades work, my sixth form seems pretty non willing to help me so who will give my reference and predicted grades to UCAS. Thank you for reading.

Sorry for sending you too many messages I thought they weren't sending that's why I sent two. Sorry again.
Reply 12
Original post by obsolentbutcool

Hi, what did you do about predicted grades my sixth form is also not willing to help me out

Quick Reply

Latest