The Student Room Group

Going to miss my contextual offer

Had an offer from Exeter for neuroscience, only requirement is a B in chemistry. Unfortunately, I only started self-teaching chemistry around xmas time so I am nowhere near a B. I've also been resitting bio and psych, which I think I've done fairly well in. But I'm almost certain, even if I did very well in paper 3 tomorrow, that the most I can get for chem is like a D. What should I do? Already stayed back a year to resit bio and psych so cannot stay again.
Original post by jh324812
Had an offer from Exeter for neuroscience, only requirement is a B in chemistry. Unfortunately, I only started self-teaching chemistry around xmas time so I am nowhere near a B. I've also been resitting bio and psych, which I think I've done fairly well in. But I'm almost certain, even if I did very well in paper 3 tomorrow, that the most I can get for chem is like a D. What should I do? Already stayed back a year to resit bio and psych so cannot stay again.

If you dont hit your grade this time you could either try clearing for a different uni if Exeter dont let you in or you can try Chem again next year as a private candidate
Reply 2
Original post by user123456324
If you dont hit your grade this time you could either try clearing for a different uni if Exeter dont let you in or you can try Chem again next year as a private candidate

Hi, unfortunately I just cannot sit exams as a private candidate again. As I've already done it this year as a private candidate, it would just be far too expensive to do again. I think my best route is clearing if Exeter reject me. Due to it being a contextual offer will they potentially be more/less lenient do you know?
Reply 3
Original post by jh324812

If you miss the offer requirements and and are rejected
1. Rethink where you want to study - see what is available in clearing
2. Rethink what you want to study - see what is available in clearing or take a gap year
3. Consider a course with a foundation year
4. Retake chemistry as a private candidate next year

Don't rush into the first option that you can find, consider carefully what is best for you and take a year out from education if you need to.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
If you miss the offer requirements and and are rejected
1. Rethink where you want to study - see what is available in clearing
2. Rethink what you want to study - see what is available in clearing or take a gap year
3. Consider a course with a foundation year
4. Retake chemistry as a private candidate next year

Don't rush into the first option that you can find, consider carefully what is best for you and take a year out from education if you need to.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think clearing is my best option, or maybe med with foundation. Like you say, I would just re-sit, but after resitting this year for biology and psychology I just can't stand the idea of staying home another year. If I do another year of re-sits it will mean I've spent 4 years on A-levels, and I just cannot bare staying another year.

Quick Reply

Latest