The Student Room Group

International Students Graduate Entry Medicine 2021

Hey guys
I noticed there wasnt much information regarding international students for GEM. It would be nice if we could all have a discussion about our GEM options and how different universities look at our applications.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by star77
Hey guys
I noticed there wasnt much information regarding international students for GEM. It would be nice if we could all have a discussion about our GEM options and how different universities look at our applications.

Hey! I am international graduate as well, but I have a very low UCAT unfortunately, and I don't think I can apply to GEM now. I think my best chance is with some of the low UCAT unis for standard entry medicine via UCAS. But i'll also be applying to the non-ucat unis such as UCLan :redface:
What about you? :smile:
Good luck with your application!!:smile:
Hi, I'm currently deciding which universities to apply to as an international graduate. Which of my UCAT or GAMSAT do you think is more competitive?
UCAT: 2730 (SJT: 600 (UCAT ANZ gives SJT as a raw score rather than a band))
- VR: 580
- DM: 680
- QR: 720
- AR: 750
GAMSAT: 65 (weighted)
- Section I: 60
- Section II: 78
- Section III: 60

Personally, I think my GAMSAT might be a bit stronger, so I'm currently thinking of applying to Dundee with my UCAT, but then Plymouth, Swansea, and Exeter with my GAMSAT. What do you think?
Thanks for your help!
Original post by vk0109
Hey! I am international graduate as well, but I have a very low UCAT unfortunately, and I don't think I can apply to GEM now. I think my best chance is with some of the low UCAT unis for standard entry medicine via UCAS. But i'll also be applying to the non-ucat unis such as UCLan :redface:

Hey, I'm going to be applying to UCLan too. Are you going to apply to Buckingham as well? It might sound silly, but I'm not sure if I want to apply to Buckingham because I'd rather see if I can get into either UCLan or a UCAS uni but Buckingham starts in January, so I wouldn't even have the chance to have an interview at any other unis if I got into Buckingham.
Reply 4
Original post by DuncanMyBiscuit
Hey, I'm going to be applying to UCLan too. Are you going to apply to Buckingham as well? It might sound silly, but I'm not sure if I want to apply to Buckingham because I'd rather see if I can get into either UCLan or a UCAS uni but Buckingham starts in January, so I wouldn't even have the chance to have an interview at any other unis if I got into Buckingham.

Hey yeah i'm gonna apply to Buckingham as well...Obviously I wanna make my options wider. I have a low UCAT score as well, so I'm not very confident with my UCAS options that I have at the moment. I really like UCLan, so hopefully I get an offer there :smile:
well done on your UCAT score! that's really amazing!:biggrin:
Original post by vk0109
Hey yeah i'm gonna apply to Buckingham as well...Obviously I wanna make my options wider. I have a low UCAT score as well, so I'm not very confident with my UCAS options that I have at the moment. I really like UCLan, so hopefully I get an offer there :smile:
well done on your UCAT score! that's really amazing!:biggrin:

Thank you!
I probably will apply to Buckingham as well. I want as many options as I can get, as you said. If I had the luxury, though, I’d definitely prefer to go to one of my UCAS preferences, but they’re obviously far more competitive.
Have you sat the GAMSAT?
Reply 6
Thank you!
I probably will apply to Buckingham as well. I want as many options as I can get, as you said. If I had the luxury, though, I’d definitely prefer to go to one of my UCAS preferences, but they’re obviously far more competitive.
Have you sat the GAMSAT?

No i haven't sat the GAMSAT nor the BMAT actually. I'm really not that good in entrance exams..I feel entrance exams are kind of like my weakness if that makes sense. I would be very happy if I get accepted into UCLan :smile:
I sat the UCAT for the first time, and I was doing great in practice, but things didn't just go the way I wanted to on test day I suppose.
But as I said, eventhough my UCAT is low, I will still be applying to four UCAS unis and just pray and hope for the best:smile:
PS: very glad to meet another international graduate applying to med school :biggrin:, I felt like I was soo alone lol if that makes sense.
Reply 7
Hey guys! I'm an international student applying for GEM + standard entry unis as well! I'm sitting my UCAT soon and will be able to decide between the unis after that. Very scared for the UCAT :'( I still can't get my timings right..

anyways gl to all of you! :smile:
Original post by vk0109
No i haven't sat the GAMSAT nor the BMAT actually. I'm really not that good in entrance exams..I feel entrance exams are kind of like my weakness if that makes sense. I would be very happy if I get accepted into UCLan :smile:
I sat the UCAT for the first time, and I was doing great in practice, but things didn't just go the way I wanted to on test day I suppose.
But as I said, eventhough my UCAT is low, I will still be applying to four UCAS unis and just pray and hope for the best:smile:
PS: very glad to meet another international graduate applying to med school :biggrin:, I felt like I was soo alone lol if that makes sense.

I know what you mean about feeling alone, it’s a pretty tough process, especially as an international graduate. That’s a shame about your UCAT, but you’re still applying to UCAS schools so you never know what can happen! As long as you’ve applied there’s a chance. UCLan seems like a great uni too, I’ll definitely be happy if I can go there.
Reply 9
I know what you mean about feeling alone, it’s a pretty tough process, especially as an international graduate. That’s a shame about your UCAT, but you’re still applying to UCAS schools so you never know what can happen! As long as you’ve applied there’s a chance. UCLan seems like a great uni too, I’ll definitely be happy if I can go there.

Yes I agree with you! But i'm glad I have threads like this and other students in the same positions as me:smile:
Oh yes UCLan seems so amazing tbh! I really love it :smile:
Hi, I'm currently deciding which universities to apply to as an international graduate. Which of my UCAT or GAMSAT do you think is more competitive?
UCAT: 2730 (SJT: 600 (UCAT ANZ gives SJT as a raw score rather than a band))
- VR: 580
- DM: 680
- QR: 720
- AR: 750
GAMSAT: 65 (weighted)
- Section I: 60
- Section II: 78
- Section III: 60

Personally, I think my GAMSAT might be a bit stronger, so I'm currently thinking of applying to Dundee with my UCAT, but then Plymouth, Swansea, and Exeter with my GAMSAT. What do you think?
Thanks for your help!

Amazing scores!!! GAMSAT is definitely competitive :smile: UCAT scores are also really good tbh! I think you have a good plan :smile: Im interested in applying to Swansea too! Do you have any GAMSAT tips??
Original post by vk0109

Aw dont worry! Im sure something will definitely work out :smile:. I havent explored UCLAN yet but you seem to have a very good opinion of it! Is there something in particular about it that you really like about the course? International students can apply directly without making it one of the 4 UCAS options right?
Original post by star77
Amazing scores!!! GAMSAT is definitely competitive :smile: UCAT scores are also really good tbh! I think you have a good plan :smile: Im interested in applying to Swansea too! Do you have any GAMSAT tips??

Thanks! To be honest, I found the GAMSAT really hard to prepare for because there’s no real guaranteed topics to study for. Being able to read understand a wide variety of graphs is very useful and knowing basic organic chemistry is also very handy. My mark was lifted up by my essay writing in section 2 (my scores were S1: 60, S2: 78, S3:60) but my undergrad was in biomedical science, so I had studied a lot of the science topics in section 3 before.

Definitely get comfortable with essay writing and I find that as long as you have a good structure you’ll be able to write something that’s at least alright, even if you don’t know the topic well. My structure was generally intro, argument 1, argument 2, counter argument with an explanation of why my arguments overrule this, and conclusion. Using that I basically just tried to think of examples (e.g. from current or past news) to back up my arguments.

I don’t have any section 1 tips I’m afraid. Reading comprehension is something that I don’t really know how to study for apart from just reading more often. VR study from the UCAT is probably quite useful, but I did the UCAT much later than the GAMSAT so I can’t say for certain.

Best of luck to you! Hopefully I might see you around Swansea next year!
Reply 13
Original post by star77
Aw dont worry! Im sure something will definitely work out :smile:. I havent explored UCLAN yet but you seem to have a very good opinion of it! Is there something in particular about it that you really like about the course? International students can apply directly without making it one of the 4 UCAS options right?

Hey! I attended one of UCLan virtual campus tour and vitrual open day and I just really liked it tbh :smile:
And yeah!! International students can apply directly here! Good luck with your application!:smile:
Reply 14
Anyone thinking about Brunel?
Reply 15
Original post by Eme223
Anyone thinking about Brunel?

meeee!! :smile:
i have master degree in pharmacology and I want to apply to study medicine as a second degree And I am an international student ; can you help me about this
No, not yet, But I am asking how to join this program ; Because I did not find any university that actually offers this program
thank you so much
Original post by vk0109

Hey there! I'm actually an international graduate student studying standard entry medicine (undergraduate) at the University of Southampton (BM5 program). I didn't do super well on my UCAT but I made the cutoff score and was invited for an interview, and ended up getting a spot! If you're unsure about your scores, I would recommend actually calling the schools/sending emails to the admissions department and asking them if you qualify. It really helped me narrow down my options, especially since I also had international qualifications that I wasn't sure would be accepted.

Which schools are you considering applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending