The Student Room Group

Personal statement

In my PS.
Should I add very few academic topics and go deep into the details?
Or
Should I add many academic topics and go briefly?
Reply 1
What subject are you planning to study
I would generally say the first one. Few academic topics and go in detail, remember to link it back to the course you want to study :biggrin:
Reply 3
for medicine I know it is important to go into detail on what you have learnt from work experience and volunteering
Reply 4
1 paragragh : what u already know and general about ur knowledge abt the course
1 paragraph : why u wanna learn

Or

Both paragraphs : why u wanna learn
I don't think there's a hard rule for this. Include both, maybe combine them in a section by saying that (for example) your passion for this topic you covered at a-level led you to do research/focus an EPQ/coursework piece/read further on ..... so you are combining subject knowledge with what you are passionate about in the course- why you want to do it. This can also help your personal statement flow a bit better. Feel free to ask more on this, it's hard to explain without seeing your statement :smile:
A PS is not about showing off how much you know about a subject (that is an essay) - you should focus on why you are interested in it
Reply 7
Original post by Interrobang
A PS is not about showing off how much you know about a subject (that is an essay) - you should focus on why you are interested in it

I agree. Most people said this altho some said the other way

But I am worried that
If both paragraphs are on some topics, stories about "why I wanna learn", I am afraid that the main idea of it will be repeated.
Reply 8
Is that a problem?
Original post by Aung
Is that a problem?

You can be more broad/brief in the intro and then go into more detail in the following paragraphs/talk about something else that interests you
Reply 10
During my first ever flight
Or
On my first ever flight
Or
In my first ever flight

Cax I'm not sure which word to use
Probably the first, and remove the 'ever' (or maybe the 2nd). Make sure you make it relevant to your interest in the course
Reply 12
Original post by Interrobang
Probably the first, and remove the 'ever' (or maybe the 2nd). Make sure you make it relevant to your interest in the course

And

Learning, designing and working on aircraft landing gears.

Is it mechanical
Or
Aerospace
Or
Both?
Original post by Aung
And

Learning, designing and working on aircraft landing gears.

Is it mechanical
Or
Aerospace
Or
Both?

Do you mean what type of engineering is that? In practice aeronautical and mechanical (and electrical) engineers will work together on the system. But since they are only deployed at low speeds, landing gear is primarily a mechanical engineering concern.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending