The Student Room Group

Personal Statement by AI

I know this is kinda obvious in hindsight but should I use an AI to write me a personal statement? I've been seeing more people starting to use ChatGPT to write them personal statements by inputting what they've done and its generated some pretty impressive ones which get cycled through QuillBot to paraphrase it and it seemingly doesn't appear on any AI writing detectors. I'm told UCAS has an anti AI tool which makes me unsure but can it really do what several others can't? moral objections aside is it worth it to?
At the end of the day, what's the point? Just write your own personal statement. UCAS is an organisation which will have great plagiarism checkers, don't risk your future just because you are feeling too lazy or unmotivated to write a personal statement.

Listen, this isn't a personal attack, I can see you're struggling. If you need any help, let me know. There are lots of supportive communities out there to assist.
If you can't be bothered to write it, why would anyone be bothered to read it?
Original post by JR05
I know this is kinda obvious in hindsight but should I use an AI to write me a personal statement? I've been seeing more people starting to use ChatGPT to write them personal statements by inputting what they've done and its generated some pretty impressive ones which get cycled through QuillBot to paraphrase it and it seemingly doesn't appear on any AI writing detectors. I'm told UCAS has an anti AI tool which makes me unsure but can it really do what several others can't? moral objections aside is it worth it to?

Hi @JR05,

AI is a brilliant tool and we are encouraged to use it at university. However, there are some things we need to keep in mind. Firstly, the guidance we have clearly states that all work must be original. Bearing that in mind there is nothing wrong with using AI such as ChatGPT to help us brainstorm some ideas. It is a great way to get you thinking about what you could include in your personal statement.

Secondly, keep in mind that a personal statement is a personal piece of writing. Although AI is great, it's not as great as you are. Your personal touch is what takes an okay statement to a brilliant one.

But by all means, make use of this powerful tool and don’t be afraid of it. Just remember it still must be your own work at the end of the day.

Learning to use AI effectively will help you go far in life:smile:

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Original post by JR05

You're not entering into a writing competition; a personal statement doesn't need to be an excellently-written novel, it just needs to showcase your knowledge about and enthusiasm for your subject
Original post by JR05

Hi @JR05 :smile:

As others have said, AI can be a great tool as a piece of developing technology, but I definitely would not recommend using ChatGPT to write your personal statement.

Even though you may have seen positive results from others who have utilized this, it does not mean that you should. There is always the risk of it getting flagged and it is not worth jeopardizing an offer or place at university! It is called a 'personal' statement for a reason; it is about you expressing your passion for a subject that you want to study.

If you are struggling in writing your personal statement, there are a variety of threads across TSR to help you! ChatGPT can spark inspiration on what to write about, but do not use it to actually write your personal statement.

Good luck! :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi @JR05 :smile:

As others have said, AI can be a great tool as a piece of developing technology, but I definitely would not recommend using ChatGPT to write your personal statement.

Even though you may have seen positive results from others who have utilized this, it does not mean that you should. There is always the risk of it getting flagged and it is not worth jeopardizing an offer or place at university! It is called a 'personal' statement for a reason; it is about you expressing your passion for a subject that you want to study.

If you are struggling in writing your personal statement, there are a variety of threads across TSR to help you! ChatGPT can spark inspiration on what to write about, but do not use it to actually write your personal statement.

Good luck! :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate

Thanks Estelle. Also worth to mention that Turnitin now has developed an AI detection tool that is widely used by universities. So if students use ChatGPT, they will get caught.
Original post by paulsmith310784
Thanks Estelle. Also worth to mention that Turnitin now has developed an AI detection tool that is widely used by universities. So if students use ChatGPT, they will get caught.

Hi @paulsmith310784 :smile:

Yes, that is true! There are pros and cons to AI and I know it is a hot topic at the moment, but I definitely recommend students to steer clear of ChatGPT as I'd hate to hear of any rejections on this basis!
Original post by JR05

Hi

AI is an amazing piece of technology and can really help in certain situations but I would definitely recommend not to use it for your personal statement.

Your personal statement is meant to show your personal qualities and personality and no AI will do that better than you.

I would also be weary of it getting flagged as being written by AI by universities and UCAS which could jeopardise your application and therefore impact your future career prospects. Your PS needs to come from you as you know you best and know the qualities you want to shine through on your application.

In short, I wouldn't use AI or ChatGPT to write your PS as you don't want to hinder your application and if you are struggling to write your PS, try using some online forums to get some tips. Our university sometimes run online Personal Statement Q&A's on social media so keep an eye out for them!

Best of luck,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending