The Student Room Group

I want a piano keyboard💅🏻...Which one should I get?

I need help choosing the best piano keyboard that doesn't feel like a toy ygm and has weighted keys and is good for a beginner because I have never played piano before.
Everything on Amazon has at least one bad review and I don't want to waste money on it if it is useless.
FYI- I can't really got to a music store cause of corona and my strict parents✌🏻so I need to buy it online- preferably Amazon...
Also, I obviously can't get a grand piano cause we on budget like that😭

This video made me want to play the piano; also I don't know what piano keyboard he has but its incredible!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I have a Casio CDP-S100. My mum got it for me though, so I’m not sure where exactly she did (it was definitely online- maybe Argos? I don’t know if you can find it on Amazon) It was also home-delivered, which is helpful considering the pandemic.

It’s got weighted keys and a detachable pedal (it’s connected with a wire) and I believe it was around £300-£400. I’ve had it for nearly a year now and I’ve loved using it. And I’m sure any piano or keyboard works for a beginner- my piano teacher started me out on her piano. Hope that helps? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pichi
I have a Casio CDP-S100. My mum got it for me though, so I’m not sure where exactly she did (it was definitely online- maybe Argos? I don’t know if you can find it on Amazon) It was also home-delivered, which is helpful considering the pandemic.

It’s got weighted keys and a detachable pedal (it’s connected with a wire) and I believe it was around £300-£400. I’ve had it for nearly a year now and I’ve loved using it. And I’m sure any piano or keyboard works for a beginner- my piano teacher started me out on her piano. Hope that helps? :smile:

That's really helpful! I'll look for it!
It is a bit pricy tho -_-
But I really appreciate your help <3
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Maria_Cherry
That's really helpful! I'll look for it!
It is a bit pricy tho -_-
But I really appreciate your help <3

I understand the price struggles, but this was honestly one of the cheapest ones that my mum could find that also was good quality. It is really worth the investment though- I also started out on a little keyboard with no weighted keys or pedals, but being able to sustain notes and play around with dynamics opens you to a whole new world of piano and fun pieces that, in turn, really helps you improve overall. Good luck- it’s such a satisfying hobby to have :smile:
Original post by Pichi
I understand the price struggles, but this was honestly one of the cheapest ones that my mum could find that also was good quality. It is really worth the investment though- I also started out on a little keyboard with no weighted keys or pedals, but being able to sustain notes and play around with dynamics opens you to a whole new world of piano and fun pieces that, in turn, really helps you improve overall. Good luck- it’s such a satisfying hobby to have :smile:

slr but I rlly like the quality of it; it looks rlly good. I'll beg my mum to buy it for me hehehe
thanks <3
I'm afraid you won't get anything too good for the price.

I had more expensive Yamaha Arius, YDP 120 I believe. The sound was nicer than that of very cheap acoustic pianos like Samick or even cheap acoustic Yamahas, but then it heavily lacked breath and depth of an acoustic piano. Even pretty poor communist Calisia was very superior to that.

If I could get an old acoustic piano of even not too good brand, that had tolerable keyboard and could be tuned properly, I would always prefer the acoustic.

Not to mention the weighted keyboards in digital pianos tend to be terribly overweighted.

It is be ok for learning basics of the technique, you need weighted keyboard for that, but if you make good progress they're gonna take away your stamina away double quickly when you move to playing things like Bach's three voice inventions or fast tempo sonatinas. Even if your technique is correct, you can make all the ornaments with ease, and have no tension in hands
In Arius I solved this problem by cutting off half the weights from the keys with grinder. The keys were still heavier than in any acoustic piano I played on, and I played on like 20 different makes and models but at least I could finally reach the right tempos with the right technique (and I know what the right technique is, as one teacher taught me bad, I got injuries from that, then changed a teacher, found a guy who was very good at biomechanical aspect and we solved all the issues)
(edited 3 years ago)
Oooou I wish I could go into detail but I'm too tired to actually think :frown: aaanyways @Rufus the red
Original post by PTMalewski
I'm afraid you won't get anything too good for the price.

I had more expensive Yamaha Arius, YDP 120 I believe. The sound was nicer than that of very cheap acoustic pianos like Samick or even cheap acoustic Yamahas, but then it heavily lacked breath and depth of an acoustic piano. Even pretty poor communist Calisia was very superior to that.

If I could get an old acoustic piano of even not too good brand, that had tolerable keyboard and could be tuned properly, I would always prefer the acoustic.

Not to mention the weighted keyboards in digital pianos tend to be terribly overweighted.

It is be ok for learning basics of the technique, you need weighted keyboard for that, but if you make good progress they're gonna take away your stamina away double quickly when you move to playing things like Bach's three voice inventions or fast tempo sonatinas. Even if your technique is correct, you can make all the ornaments with ease, and have no tension in hands
In Arius I solved this problem by cutting off half the weights from the keys with grinder. The keys were still heavier than in any acoustic piano I played on, and I played on like 20 different makes and models but at least I could finally reach the right tempos with the right technique (and I know what the right technique is, as one teacher taught me bad, I got injuries from that, then changed a teacher, found a guy who was very good at biomechanical aspect and we solved all the issues)

WOW!
you must be a piano expert
I honestly want to learn it but is it too hard...

In conclusion, I should get...
WOW!

Unless you have a place, knowledge, and budget to afford buying an old acoustic piano and tuning it, you should buy weighted digital that sounds nice, and then switch to acoustic after a year or two, or better yet as soon as possible as people who train piano playing sometimes burn out, and with nice acoustic piano it is less likely to happen. Also with acoustic piano, you can get to a very high level, while digitals limit you severely.
WOW!

Ah okay, I can actually answer now :lol: So first off, you get what you pay for. If you are really looking for something professional, you are going to end up paying quite a lot. For beginners, I would definitely look for something good quality, but not quite professional as you are just starting out, and cheap. Paying an excessive amount for something you may not even enjoy using would be a bummer. Now I'm a grand piano kind of person, as I love the feel and aesthetic of it, but since you are looking for a digital piano, I can give a bit of insight on that as well. I own a Casio Privia PX-870 and I would say it's pretty expensive, but it's a really nice digital piano. I previously owned the Casio Privia PX-160, which is around half the price of the PX-870, so more affordable, but it can still be above your budget as it is a bit expensive. If you are really just looking for something that is very affordable but doesn't well, suck, then I would look at the Yamaha Piaggero NP12. It is pretty cheap as far as digital pianos go, and it has expert playability while still being around beginner territory. It's cheap, good quality, and portable as well. I have no idea if this helps, but I hope it does, and good luck :biggrin:
Original post by jellybellyb
Ah okay, I can actually answer now :lol: So first off, you get what you pay for. If you are really looking for something professional, you are going to end up paying quite a lot. For beginners, I would definitely look for something good quality, but not quite professional as you are just starting out, and cheap. Paying an excessive amount for something you may not even enjoy using would be a bummer. Now I'm a grand piano kind of person, as I love the feel and aesthetic of it, but since you are looking for a digital piano, I can give a bit of insight on that as well. I own a Casio Privia PX-870 and I would say it's pretty expensive, but it's a really nice digital piano. I previously owned the Casio Privia PX-160, which is around half the price of the PX-870, so more affordable, but it can still be above your budget as it is a bit expensive. If you are really just looking for something that is very affordable but doesn't well, suck, then I would look at the Yamaha Piaggero NP12. It is pretty cheap as far as digital pianos go, and it has expert playability while still being around beginner territory. It's cheap, good quality, and portable as well. I have no idea if this helps, but I hope it does, and good luck :biggrin:

Yes! That is lovely I'll look into them and see which one I should get
I am really excited >"<
Thanks for the help <3
Original post by PTMalewski
Unless you have a place, knowledge, and budget to afford buying an old acoustic piano and tuning it, you should buy weighted digital that sounds nice, and then switch to acoustic after a year or two, or better yet as soon as possible as people who train piano playing sometimes burn out, and with nice acoustic piano it is less likely to happen. Also with acoustic piano, you can get to a very high level, while digitals limit you severely.

okay 'll try that out!
I lke the idea of an acoustic piano- sounds fancy hehe

Quick Reply

Latest