The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Maths Autumn Exam 7357 Paper 1,2,3 7/14/19 Oct 2020 - Exam Discussion

AQA A-level Maths 7357 - Paper 1,2,3 - 7th/14th/19th October 2020

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... It's all here Feel free to add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others

This thread covers the following papers:

7357 Paper 1,2,3 7th/ 14th / 19th October 2020

The official specification:
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...02-SP-2015.PDF

List of Recommeded Resources:

Autumn Exam Megathread - Autumn Exam Thread Directory

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi :smile: is anyone else sitting the upcoming AQA A level maths exam next week? I just did the 2019 pure paper and it’s fair to say I feel like smashing my head against a wall
Original post by riaaav
Hi :smile: is anyone else sitting the upcoming AQA A level maths exam next week? I just did the 2019 pure paper and it’s fair to say I feel like smashing my head against a wall

if it makes you feel any better I didn't do too well either, to be fair though I had a look at grade boundaries and last year for an A it was 61% - 53/100 on paper 1, 62/100 on paper 2 and 70/100 on paper 3 so I think the cohort found paper 1 the hardest last year
Reply 3
Original post by ohidontthinksom9
if it makes you feel any better I didn't do too well either, to be fair though I had a look at grade boundaries and last year for an A it was 61% - 53/100 on paper 1, 62/100 on paper 2 and 70/100 on paper 3 so I think the cohort found paper 1 the hardest last year

Yeah... I only did paper 1 and I got around 63%. I am aiming for an A*/A
Reply 4
did anyone get a nice answer for the last question
These are the topics I don't remember really seeing;
trig, diff from first principles, diff eps, parametric diff and integration, optimisation, binomial, integration by parts/substitution, proof

Wasn’t the last question intergration?
Reply 6
Original post by jxt8989

cause mine was rly jumbled up with lots of e^ln type of terms
Original post by jxt8989
cause mine was rly jumbled up with lots of e^ln type of terms

How did u go bout that question. All I did was my the two make the two e equations equal to each other. And attempt to intergrate
Original post by mhd_hassan
Wasn’t the last question intergration?

Yeah but not by parts or substitution or parametric I don’t think
Original post by jxt8989

I couldn’t get the second limit in exact form, was it the point when the 2 lines crossed?
Reply 10
Original post by mhd_hassan
How did u go bout that question. All I did was my the two make the two e equations equal to each other. And attempt to intergrate

i found the y-intercepts of both curves by putting y=0 for both of them, gave me coordinates 5 and 1 for them. then i found y coordinate for intercept by putting equations equal to each other, it was a weird value like 2ln3/3 or something. Then integrated area under curve y=e^x with boundaries y intercept of 5 and y coordinate 2ln3/3 + integrated area under curve y=6-e^x/2 with boundaries 1 and y coordinate 2ln3/3. and then it came to an equation with like 4 terms that seemed off
how did everyone find it??
Reply 12
that was sooooooo horrible for me :frown: how did everyone else find it?

i was literally the only aqa student out of like 20 other edexcel people, there aren’t that many of us, wonder how that’ll affect the boundaries
Original post by ramzinoo
that was sooooooo horrible for me :frown: how did everyone else find it?

i was literally the only aqa student out of like 20 other edexcel people, there aren’t that many of us, wonder how that’ll affect the boundaries

Don't worry too much. I did terribly and 3 people who I spoke with after the exam said the same. Reckon I got no more than 30/100 and I need an A... Hopefully Grade Boundaries will be VERY low for this one and P2 and P3 are kinder.
I couldn’t get the second limit in exact form, was it the point when the 2 lines crossed?

Yh, I made the two curves equal eachother and ended up with a quadratic with solutions ln9 and ln4 but the answer had ln4 so I used that as the upper limit and it worked out well
What did people think of the Newton Raphson? Does anyone remember how many marks it was? Also the weird hours and days question really threw me off. Anyone remember the number of marks for that question as well?
Original post by ish2000
What did people think of the Newton Raphson? Does anyone remember how many marks it was? Also the weird hours and days question really threw me off. Anyone remember the number of marks for that question as well?

newton raphson was okay i think, i believe x(1) = 0 would never find the root because it would result in f(x) = 0 so 0 - (0/anything) would just remain as 0 forever. I don't think it was that many marks, the question before was just plugging in the values right? I'm really hoping i entered that into my calculator right because those are easy marks. But yeah the days question threw me off, it was either 3 or 4 marks for that consecutive days one, i got 64 days but im pretty sure i wasnt doing the right thing so maybe i'll get 1 mark somewhere for that if lucky.

for the last question i formed a quadratic with a being e^0.5x, so a^2 would be e^x, and that let me find where the graphs intersected (one of the solutions implied e^0.5x was a negative number, so disregarded) and then after messing up on the definite integrals for a bit i finally got 6ln4 - 5, my work was messy but hopefully i should get the marks
(edited 3 years ago)
Also, what did you guys think of the proof question early on? Proof always messes me up but since it was just integer values between 0 and 3 or something, i just did it by exhaustion, but im thinking i mightve been wrong now.
And for the mass of the material, that was just 4 of the trapeziums * thickness * density right?
did you guys manage to do all the questions btw?
Reply 19
Original post by bigfish06
did you guys manage to do all the questions btw?

nope not even close

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending