The Student Room Group

Electrostatic forces, Intermolecular forces, Covalent Bonds and Ionic Bonds

I'm a bit confused about what the first 2 terms in the title mean, and how they relate to Covalent and Ionic Bonding. I'm also confused about what the actual definition of electrostatic forces and intermolecular forces. Are electrostatic forces the same as ionic bonds??
Electrostatic forces are between something that is negativley charged and positivley charged. Intermolcular forces occur between molecules, lets take water for example, the force between two different water molecules are the intermolecular forces (in this case hydrogen bonds), but the forces within the molceule, the forces that keep the Hydrogens and Oxygen together is the intRAmolcular covalent bonds.

Covalent bonds occur between non metal atoms where they share electrons to form a full outer shell, while ionic bonding is between a metal and a non metal, they have alternating positive and negative ions next to each other so the cations and anions are attracted through electrostatic forces.
In metals all the positivly charges ions are lines up with delocalised electrons floating around, the positivley charges ion and the delocalised electrons also have electrostatic forces of attraction. Also the higher the charge of a metal, the stronger its electrostatic forces of attraction, for example Al3+, wil have 3 delocalised ions while Ca2+ will have 2, the higher the number of electrons, the higher the electrostatic force of attraction.
Reply 2
Electrostatic force is the attraction between oppositely charged particles or the repulsion of two particles with the same charge.
Ionic bonds form because of the electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions. They exist in a giant lattice structure ( never as molecules) consisting of many positive and negative ions arranged in a regular pattern.

Intermolecular forces describe the forces in between different molecules ( not between the particles making up the molecules themselves but between separate molecules), they can be linked to covalent bonding as simple covalent molecules, like h2 or O2, only have weak intermolecular forces between their separate molecules in the, which is why they have low boiling points ( hence why most are gases at room temperature).

Intermolecular forces aren’t the same as covalent bonds though, a covalent bond is a shared pair of electrons - usually shared by 2 non metals- (they are very strong because of the attraction between the oppositely charged nuclei and shared electrons of each atom).

Hope that helps a bit I tried to explain in as much detail as I could :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mavs04
Electrostatic force is the attraction between oppositely charged particles or the repulsion of two particles with the same charge.
Ionic bonds form because of the electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions. They exist in a giant lattice structure ( never as molecules) consisting of many positive and negative ions arranged in a regular pattern.

Intermolecular forces describe the forces in between different molecules ( not between the particles making up the molecules themselves but between separate molecules), they can be linked to covalent bonding as simple covalent molecules, like h2 or O2, only have weak intermolecular forces between their separate molecules in the, which is why they have low boiling points ( hence why most are gases at room temperature).

Intermolecular forces aren’t the same as covalent bonds though, a covalent bond is a shared pair of electrons - usually shared by 2 non metals- (they are very strong because of the attraction between the oppositely charged nuclei and shared electrons of each atom).

Hope that helps a bit I tried to explain in as much detail as I could :smile:

Thank you so much, this really helped me to understand it a lot more
Reply 4
Original post by HannahWilson9
Electrostatic forces are between something that is negativley charged and positivley charged. Intermolcular forces occur between molecules, lets take water for example, the force between two different water molecules are the intermolecular forces (in this case hydrogen bonds), but the forces within the molceule, the forces that keep the Hydrogens and Oxygen together is the intRAmolcular covalent bonds.

Covalent bonds occur between non metal atoms where they share electrons to form a full outer shell, while ionic bonding is between a metal and a non metal, they have alternating positive and negative ions next to each other so the cations and anions are attracted through electrostatic forces.
In metals all the positivly charges ions are lines up with delocalised electrons floating around, the positivley charges ion and the delocalised electrons also have electrostatic forces of attraction. Also the higher the charge of a metal, the stronger its electrostatic forces of attraction, for example Al3+, wil have 3 delocalised ions while Ca2+ will have 2, the higher the number of electrons, the higher the electrostatic force of attraction.

Thanks for the reply I genuinely appreciate it, this really helped me

Quick Reply

Latest