The Student Room Group

is oxbridge overrated?

I know its really competitive to get accepted for any course at oxford. But does it make that much difference. like is doing medicine in oxford that much better than medicine in a less established uni? Ive never conclusively heard anything that suggests there is a huge difference. After all, a medical degree is a medical degree, right? Some people have said that it is way more prestigious in oxford but i was interested to hear what other people say
Oxbridge is generally seen as more prestigious, yes. They also have top academics working for them and are often doing cutting-edge research, for instance Oxford are currently working on COVID-19 vaccinations. The teaching methods are second-to-none as well, and the whole learning process is much more intense. Terms are shorter than those of other universities because of how rigorous they are. You're also surrounded by other elite students and so encouraged to work harder to keep up.

I believe Oxbridge would also be good for networking and establishing good connections. Plus some argue the reputation will set you up for life; in any case you get major bragging rights.

Though some people might not want to go (especially for medicine as I think you have to wait a good while to get any practical lessons in comparison to other unis), it isn't overrated in terms of its quality.
Reply 2
A bit, people think if you get into Oxbridge you are set for life, that's not true. Many things can go wrong
Original post by Bvbfan
I know its really competitive to get accepted for any course at oxford. But does it make that much difference. like is doing medicine in oxford that much better than medicine in a less established uni? Ive never conclusively heard anything that suggests there is a huge difference. After all, a medical degree is a medical degree, right? Some people have said that it is way more prestigious in oxford but i was interested to hear what other people say

Lets break this into two:
1) Is Oxbridge overrated?
Well, I guess that depends how much you 'rate' it :tongue: You get a fair few TSR users... mainly 15 year olds... who seem to think its Oxford or death. Obviously stupid. But there's a lot of irrational anti-Oxbridge sentiment about too.
Focusing on the objective: Oxbridge invests far, far more into its selection process, entry standards are objectively higher, there is nothing at any other uni close to the tutorial system (3, 2 or even 1 to 1 teaching multiple times per week), and postgraduate earnings objectively higher than anywhere else. The college system is also completely unique, though if you think that's a good thing is a personal choice I guess.
2) Is medicine at Oxford better?
Depends what measure you want to use. It does exceptionally well in student satisfaction. It does very poorly, if you believe that all med schools should be aiming to produce 50% GPs. It out-performs all other med schools by a big margin in doctor's speciality exams, but it does only average (and Cambridge poorly) when it comes to self-reported preparedness before starting the job.
So make of that what you will.
Original post by Bvbfan

If you want to be a medical practitioner im of the opinion it doesnt make much difference. (but this is not my field)

But Oxford has an excellent medical research department, and if you want to work in academia or in other industries Oxford opens more doors then other unis. Also Oxford offers a unique experience that is very different to most unis (you have to make your own mind up as to if thats what you want or not).

Its a very special university, and its not the only path or consideration but you need to make your own mind up on what you want from university & if you want to apply to Oxford.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Obviously these are only the views of a few people, but from talking to people I know in the NHS, I'd agree with mnot above in the specific case of medicine. Going to Oxbridge for medicine will not really help you as much in getting a job - it's much more about your skills. Especially as some other courses incorporate practical/clinical work sooner (as far as I know, I'm not a medicine expert!), Oxbridge even has some disadvantages. Probably worth applying if you love the place/tutorial system or are thinking of going into medical research, but otherwise another high ranked medical school would be just as good.
Original post by Bvbfan

For a real, bird's eye view of the present Oxford medicine course, here is my son, who is a current 4th year Oxford medic. As Nexttime says, make of that what you will.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6044384

I firmly believe that to really make it in hospital medicine, it does not depend on what you know, but how you interract with the patients and colleagues, and to work hard and learn from each other. To go the extra mile for the patients. No amount of fancy learning can teach you that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending