The Student Room Group

What is so good about russell group unis?

What makes them more favourable than a non RG uni. And will employers see your degree as less valuable than one from an RG uni?

Scroll to see replies

Also I’m aware this is probably in the wrong forum but I didn’t know which other one to put it in!
Think you might find this an interesrting article
https://thetab.com/uk/2020/11/27/the-unis-you-should-have-gone-to-if-you-wanted-to-earn-more-than-russell-group-grads-184395
Some russell group unis are not recognised as any more important than none russell group unis. Take York. Its a russell group, but lancaster which is a non RG is just as good. And employers dont see York as any more important than as Lancaster is.

You have unis that are RG and right up there:
Oxford, LSE, Imperial, Durham, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol and Nottingham.
Then for the rest of the RG, other non RG unis are on a par with them. Places like St Andrews, Bath, Loughborough, Lancaster and Surrey are really good unis. At the end of the day, the students studying there are not thinking ' look at me im at an RG'. They are thinking about getting that first, securing internships, and perhaps futher on to postgrad. Thats the most important bit. No-one wants a uni student thats at an RG thats got just a pass. They want to see a good grade.
Original post by lilbabypenguin
What makes them more favourable than a non RG uni. And will employers see your degree as less valuable than one from an RG uni?

Hi @lilbabypenguin

@Ghostlady has made some really good points. Employers want to see a good degree result and they are also looking for well rounded individuals with experiences outside of the course. The most important thing is to choose a university that offers you the course that you want in an environment where you think you will thrive and be happy. If that happens to be a RG university that's fine, but don't choose based on whether a uni is RG or not - because it really doesn't make a difference.
Good luck with your choices :smile:
Vicky

However if you apply for something where you have a job at the end eg/medicine, midwifery, nursing, paramedic, physiotherapist etc. You are all getting the same NHS job so it doesn’t matter if it’s Russel group or not. So pick based on how you like the uni and its course structure, placements etc. Gd luck! :smile:
Original post by northener_3006
However if you apply for something where you have a job at the end eg/medicine, midwifery, nursing, paramedic, physiotherapist etc. You are all getting the same NHS job so it doesn’t matter if it’s Russel group or not. So pick based on how you like the uni and its course structure, placements etc. Gd luck! :smile:

I’m going to do a maths degree, so would the uni where I receive my degree affect how this degree is viewed?
I’m going to do a maths degree, so would the uni where I receive my degree affect how this degree is viewed?

Aw that sounds amazing but tbh I’m not 100% sure as I am taking a medical degree and I don’t really know about math degrees. I hope you find out and gd luck with everything tho :smile:
Original post by northener_3006
Aw that sounds amazing but tbh I’m not 100% sure as I am taking a medical degree and I don’t really know about math degrees. I hope you find out and gd luck with everything tho :smile:

Thank you and good luck to you too! Congrats on getting into medicine 👏
Thank you and good luck to you too! Congrats on getting into medicine 👏

Thanks and not actually doing medicine, just a medical based degree 😂
Reply 9

Yeah, I think the well known RG Unis are probably a safer bet for Maths.
Maths tier 1: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick
Maths tier 2: Other RG Unis + Well known unis not necessarily in Russel group
Maths tier 3: Non-RG Unis

This is just my take on it, other people may disagree.
Original post by Rarest
Yeah, I think the well known RG Unis are probably a safer bet for Maths.
Maths tier 1: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick
Maths tier 2: Other RG Unis + Well known unis not necessarily in Russel group
Maths tier 3: Non-RG Unis

This is just my take on it, other people may disagree.

Thank you. I chose Southampton uni as the RG uni

I'd say not, no. However, maths at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, and Warwick, etc would be amazing. However, a maths degree from anywhere will be sufficient for most jobs.

What unis are you thinking of?
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
I'd say not, no. However, maths at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, and Warwick, etc would be amazing. However, a maths degree from anywhere will be sufficient for most jobs.

What unis are you thinking of?

I can’t apply there, and not like I’d get in to Oxford or Cambridge even if I had everything they wanted from me. I didn’t do FM and my predicted grades are A*AA/A*A*A (not sure yet) so I’m limited quite a bit. I’ve already applied to Southampton, Portsmouth, Reading and Sussex. They do the course I want, and are in the areas I want. I know I probably should have pushed myself to go somewhere else to fulfill my potential but like I said there was limited options anyway due to my lack of FM
I can’t apply there, and not like I’d get in to Oxford or Cambridge even if I had everything they wanted from me. I didn’t do FM and my predicted grades are A*AA/A*A*A (not sure yet) so I’m limited quite a bit. I’ve already applied to Southampton, Portsmouth, Reading and Sussex. They do the course I want, and are in the areas I want. I know I probably should have pushed myself to go somewhere else to fulfill my potential but like I said there was limited options anyway due to my lack of FM

Oh, don't misunderstand me, I was just stating those exceptional places.

Southampton is obviously a very good uni, but so are Reading and Sussex, and Portsmouth is decent too. So you'll be in a good place no matter where you go. I suppose you've already applied now, but the Engineering Mathematics degree at Bristol looks really good, if you want a good combination of engineering/maths/computer science/AI/programming, etc. Just a thought!

They aren't 'better' in any way - it's a self-selecting club.
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
Oh, don't misunderstand me, I was just stating those exceptional places.

Southampton is obviously a very good uni, but so are Reading and Sussex, and Portsmouth is decent too. So you'll be in a good place no matter where you go. I suppose you've already applied now, but the Engineering Mathematics degree at Bristol looks really good, if you want a good combination of engineering/maths/computer science/AI/programming, etc. Just a thought!

I absolutely hate engineering and programming and computer science! That’s why I’ve chosen the unis I did - they didn’t have any compulsory mechanics, except southampton which was purely chosen for being RG
I absolutely hate engineering and programming and computer science! That’s why I’ve chosen the unis I did - they didn’t have any compulsory mechanics, except southampton which was purely chosen for being RG

Haha, fair enough!

Do note that many maths grads do go into software engineering and data analysis/science, which are very programming heavy (data science is a lot of mathematics and stats too), so don't completely rule out programming! It looks great on your CV and can lead to lucrative jobs. Though, if you want to go into finance, you'll do perfectly fine without it.
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
They aren't 'better' in any way - it's a self-selecting club.

I'm not sure that's true - yes, it's pretty self-selecting, but RGs tend to get more funding and the like, which obviously gives them an advantage. They're also just... more well respected in general. They may not outright say it, but employers tend to look more favourably on RG degrees. I'm not saying that's right, but it's the way of the world.
Original post by Jaegis
I'm not sure that's true - yes, it's pretty self-selecting, but RGs tend to get more funding and the like, which obviously gives them an advantage. They're also just... more well respected in general. They may not outright say it, but employers tend to look more favourably on RG degrees. I'm not saying that's right, but it's the way of the world.

Funding for RESEARCH not undergrads! Thet are less respected in some carrers like Engineering, computing, design ...

Employers don't care what uni you went to - they look at your degree and whather you have any work experience.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
Funding for RESEARCH not undergrads! Thet are less respected in some carrers like Engineering, computing, design ...

Employers don't care what uni you went to - they look at your degree and whather you have any work experience.

Sure, the funding's for research, but A) that money can also therefore go to facilities, which are definitely a factor in quality of your degree, particularly in a subject where you do lots of lab or theatre work, and B) those good facilities and their good research means more people want to go there, which makes them more prestigious, and that means they're considered better because you (generally) need better grades to go there... do you see where I'm going with this?

And I hate to tell you this, but at least some employers will be looking. They can see where you got your degree, and they'll notice that. RG unis (or just more-respected unis in general) will increase your chances. They just don't say it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending