The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Higher rank unis?

Is there rlly a difference in Russell group ranks? For example, im deciding between Sheffield and Cardiff and I adore Cardiff, however Sheffield’s higher rank is swaying me. I heard somewhere that it doesn’t matter since they’re both Russell groups but, do their rank differences really matter?
Ranks mean **** regardless of RG or not. If you are studying law then sure, maybe.
(edited 2 months ago)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
Ranks mean **** regardless of RG or not. If you are studying law then sure, maybe.

What do they even measure the ranks on? Like employability, city, quality of teaching/ resources??
Original post by Anonymous #1
What do they even measure the ranks on? Like employability, city, quality of teaching/ resources??

The complete university guide has their own and so does the guardian.
Is there rlly a difference in Russell group ranks? For example, im deciding between Sheffield and Cardiff and I adore Cardiff, however Sheffield’s higher rank is swaying me. I heard somewhere that it doesn’t matter since they’re both Russell groups but, do their rank differences really matter?

So many rankings rate the Uk universities differently. If you want to work for the golden circle of law firms, then yes russell group would highly matter. However, this is not the end of the world. If you do a law masters degree after uni, it would put you above many other potential candidates, with most masters programmes allowing you to complete the bar qualifying exams as part of the course.

I would go for cardiff and then go to a russel group uni for your masters, as once you achieve a 2,1 or 1,1, many of these would be happy to have you for your year studying an llm after your llb.

Edit: Sorry I completely forgot Cardiff is a russel group university. The rankings of these do not matter unless you are attending one of the top places such as oxford. So you should be good regardless. I would still recomend the llm though 🙂.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by greentiger

So many rankings rate the Uk universities differently. If you want to work for the golden circle of law firms, then yes russell group would highly matter. However, this is not the end of the world. If you do a law masters degree after uni, it would put you above many other potential candidates, with most masters programmes allowing you to complete the bar qualifying exams as part of the course.

I would go for cardiff and then go to a russel group uni for your masters, as once you achieve a 2,1 or 1,1, many of these would be happy to have you for your year studying an llm after your llb.

Edit: Sorry I completely forgot Cardiff is a russel group university. The rankings of these do not matter unless you are attending one of the top places such as oxford. So you should be good regardless. I would still recomend the llm though 🙂.

I don’t do law, so therefore I should just follow what I want rather than be swayed by statistics?
I don’t do law, so therefore I should just follow what I want rather than be swayed by statistics?

Oh yes, sorry, I saw another users comment about how It could matter if it was law and used that within mine!

Yes definitely go for the one you would prefer as russell groups are highly regarded, regardless of which you attend. Rankings are relatively irrelevant for all universities but Russel groups do have that advantage for being globally renounced as good.

If you want Cardiff go for Cardiff!
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #2

Oh yes, sorry, I saw another users comment about how It could matter if it was law and used that within mine!

Yes definitely go for the one you would prefer as russell groups are highly regarded, regardless of which you attend. Rankings are relatively irrelevant for all universities but Russel groups do have that advantage for being globally renounced as good.

Can I ask what they’re ranked on?
Can I ask what they’re ranked on?

This depends which rating you look at as some will prioritise some statistics over others. Generally, it consists of research quality, graduate employability/income, staff to student ratio, industry income, academic curriculums, international recognition, and there are a few others also. So it’s quite a broad spectrum really. Meaning if the university performed high in terms of research output but lower in graduate incomes, it wouldn’t be much accounted for and could be ranked similar to one which has poor student satisfaction but high research volumes. It’s all very broad, hence how it is much better to find a university that suits you, and still has a good rank.

But these days overall, the ranks are fully irrelevant. I know people who went or are currently at universities that are ranked in or near the 100s, and have still walked out with higher paying jobs than some from higher rated universities.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #2

Renowned, not renounced.
Hi!
Both are excellent universities! I think it is really important to get a feel for the environment at each university and decide which one is best-suited to you. For example, I ended up choosing Sheffield as I attended an open day and really liked the friendly atmosphere at the uni and how passionate my lecturers were about what they were teaching. It's also key to think about the city the uni is in, as you will be living there for the duration of your degree. For example, I loved the fact that Sheffield has a great mix of having lots to do but also lots of lovely green spaces to relax in. It is very close to the Peak District, which was very important to me as I enjoy hiking.
I would recommend attending an open day if you haven't done so already. You can find information about open days here: Open days | Undergraduate study | The University of Sheffield.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have! :smile:
I hope this helped,
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry Student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending