The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Hello 👋
Does anyone know if LSE give 4 alevel subjects offer or is it simply very rare to happen?
I planned to drop a subject soon but I haven’t receive anything from LSE yet.
Can someone help?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by anirazgaming
I haven't heard anything

ahh hopefully we will hear from them soon.
Good Luck!
Original post by Yuno2212
Hello 👋
Does anyone know if LSE give 4 alevel subjects offer or is it simply very rare to happen?
Can someone help?

I have heard of 4 subject offers for Economics A*AAE (A* in Maths and E in Further Maths), but usually most courses recieve 3 A level offers. However based on my school statistics and analytics on previous years, there has been cases where LSE did not specify a need for continuation for the 4th A level, but because the student dropped it without letting LSE know, LSE did not follow up on the conditional offer. This is because upon applying, you applied with 4 A levels, so they made that decision on you taking them. Should you drop any, you must contact LSE to inform them of your choice.

Most students tend to wait for their offers, then REQUEST for permission to drop the subject. If permission is granted then by all means you and your offer are safe! But if they don't allow you to drop it, then you'll have to go forward with it, however since your offer will only be 3 A levels, as long as you meet the 3 and fail the 4th, you will still have your offer!

Hope this helps!!
Hello 👋
Can someone help?

Hi! The usual LSE offer for 4 A level subjects is the original for your degree (for example, A*AA) and to pass your 4th subject. Yes, just to pass. So actually they don't care too much about the 4th. However, they give offers to both types of applicants (3 subjects and 4+ subjects).

Bear in mind that the most important thing for them is your PS.

Good luck with your application!
scrolling through the professors in the international history department (why not haha) and just realised I name dropped a professor in my personal statement without even knowing. is that good or bad ?
Reply 1225
Hello 👋
Can someone help?

The “usual standard” offer will, in most cases, be expressed as three A-levels. If you have already applied with four A-levels and plan to drop, you should contact UG Admissions immediately to let them know. If you haven’t applied yet, then I think it’ll be fine to apply with three A-levels given that the fourth was not a required subject for your degree programme. However, I’d still advise you contact Student Marketing and Recruitment to be sure of this because this advice may have changed since I was last updated.
Reply 1226
Original post by andreanavarroo_
Hi! The usual LSE offer for 4 A level subjects is the original for your degree (for example, A*AA) and to pass your 4th subject. Yes, just to pass. So actually they don't care too much about the 4th. However, they give offers to both types of applicants (3 subjects and 4+ subjects).

Just a note on this: LSE do consider your overall academic performance on a wider scale when assessing your application (in other words, it’s unlikely the individual components of your application are going to be considered in isolation). In theory, it is reasonable to assume the fourth A-level can be predicted as low as just a passing grade, but in practice it’s a little more complicated. Being predicted a passing grade in any subject (regardless of whether it was a part of the usual standard offer conditions or not) reflects poorly on your overall academic profile, and this could plausibly affect the decision that the admissions selectors make.
Reply 1227
Original post by dfdfdf1234
scrolling through the professors in the international history department (why not haha) and just realised I name dropped a professor in my personal statement without even knowing. is that good or bad ?

In most cases, it really won’t matter. They’ll probably just read it and move on to the next sentence :wink:
Original post by sarahyee
I have heard of 4 subject offers for Economics A*AAE (A* in Maths and E in Further Maths), but usually most courses recieve 3 A level offers. However based on my school statistics and analytics on previous years, there has been cases where LSE did not specify a need for continuation for the 4th A level, but because the student dropped it without letting LSE know, LSE did not follow up on the conditional offer. This is because upon applying, you applied with 4 A levels, so they made that decision on you taking them. Should you drop any, you must contact LSE to inform them of your choice.

Most students tend to wait for their offers, then REQUEST for permission to drop the subject. If permission is granted then by all means you and your offer are safe! But if they don't allow you to drop it, then you'll have to go forward with it, however since your offer will only be 3 A levels, as long as you meet the 3 and fail the 4th, you will still have your offer!

Hope this helps!!

Hello!!
Thank you for replying. May I know what you mean by "there has been cases where LSE did not specify a need for continuation for the 4th A level, but because the student dropped it without letting LSE know, LSE did not follow up on the conditional offer." because I thought that we only have to fulfill the requirement stated in our offer in order to officially receive a place to study there. And does this happen at other university too?

Hi!
Does that mean I can just drop the subject and inform them or should I wait until the offer come before dropping it?
Reply 1230
Hello!!
Thank you for replying. May I know what you mean by "there has been cases where LSE did not specify a need for continuation for the 4th A level, but because the student dropped it without letting LSE know, LSE did not follow up on the conditional offer." because I thought that we only have to fulfill the requirement stated in our offer in order to officially receive a place to study there. And does this happen at other university too?

I think OP is saying that your offer was made on the basis of the information you have given them. This includes the fact that you submitted your application with the 4th A-level stated on there. If that information changes, then it’s at the university’s discretion to rescind your offer on the basis that the information submitted was inaccurate.
Hi!
Does that mean I can just drop the subject and inform them or should I wait until the offer come before dropping it?

If I were in your place I would call Student Marketing and Recruitment and let them know. Also, ask them what they think about dropping one of your subjects. In case they give you an offer, they will do it based on the information provided on your UCAS application, so don't wait for that. Just ask them what you can do.
Btw, why do you want to drop one subject? Is because it is difficult or something like that? I SUPPOSE that could give them a bad impression on you, but I'm not sure anyway.

Here is their contact info. Call them and they will advise you!!
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Applicants/Secure/Contact-UG-Admissions

Good luck!
Original post by zxvs
I think OP is saying that your offer was made on the basis of the information you have given them. This includes the fact that you submitted your application with the 4th A-level stated on there. If that information changes, then it’s at the university’s discretion to rescind your offer on the basis that the information submitted was inaccurate.

Yeap this is much better phrased! Thanks for explaining it more clearly :biggrin:
Reply 1233
Original post by sarahyee
Yeap this is much better phrased! Thanks for explaining it more clearly :biggrin:

No worries :smile:
If I were in your place I would call Student Marketing and Recruitment and let them know. Also, ask them what they think about dropping one of your subjects. In case they give you an offer, they will do it based on the information provided on your UCAS application, so don't wait for that. Just ask them what you can do.
Btw, why do you want to drop one subject? Is because it is difficult or something like that? I SUPPOSE that could give them a bad impression on you, but I'm not sure anyway.

Here is their contact info. Call them and they will advise you!!
https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Applicants/Secure/Contact-UG-Admissions

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply!
I'm actually thinking of dropping a subject due to current pandemic situation in my country. Right now all colleges and school are required to close and only conduct online learning. Despite that, the International A Level that will be conducted in this country is expected to go on as usual. Taking 4 subjects through online learning do put a lot of strain on me and I find it hard to cope because of that. That's why I'm thinking of dropping a subject.
anyone heard from history and politics yet?
Original post by Hispol8595758
anyone heard from history and politics yet?

Not heard back from history yet
Original post by salviakasana03
I mean if a home student has the same grades as you I’m pretty sure they’ll go with an international one cause you’ll pay more. But the majority are home students so there isn’t any major advantage

Oh, I see. Thanks for this info :smile:
Original post by pippin110
Not heard back from history yet

okay thanks
Original post by idkleo18
Congrats on your other offers! We've actually applied to the exact same universities. I have got offers from UCL, KCL and Manchester, just waiting for a decision from LSE and Edinburgh. I've also applied for Economic History at LSE, and I am an international student.

Do you mind me asking what courses you applied for at the other universities and what you talked about in your personal statement?

Congrats on your offer! Sure! And I am so sorry for replying to u this late, I don’t go on TSR very often.

Latest

Trending

Trending