LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello and welcome to the official LSE undergraduate applicants thread for the 2020-21 academic year!

If you're thinking of applying to LSE this autumn, then introduce yourself! Reply with...

Course(s) you're applying for at LSE
Other universities you're applying for
GCSE grades
Predicted A-level grades & subjects
Home country

I'm Lucy, and I'm the forum helper for the LSE subsection on TSR - I'm just coming to the end of my third and final year at LSE studying Politics and History, so if you have any questions about applying to LSE, my course, or the university in general, feel free to ask. Just please don't ask me what your chances are of getting in, as I simply don't know.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 1 month ago
mozarelladippers
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE Maths and/with econ
Other universities you're applying for i dont quite know yet but probs other russell group unis
GCSE grades 999888A*A*77777
Predicted A-level grades & subjects A*AAA (maths, further maths, physics and econ)
Home country UK
CJStevens
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Law
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, Durham, Kings, and probably Exeter
GCSE grades: 9888888876
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: A*A*A (Law, Maths, English Lit)
Home country: England
alebaja
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Economics and Economic History
Other universities you're applying for: UCL, Warwick, Kings, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol, Durham
GCSE grades: N/A
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: A*A*A*AA [EPQ(A2), Russian(A2), Maths(A2), Econs(AS), Psych(AS)]
Home country: KZ
Last edited by alebaja; 2 months ago
athleticsnstuff
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Course(s) you're applying for: Maths and/with economics
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Warwick
GCSE grades: 9999998887
Predicted A level grades and subjects: A*A*AA (Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Futher Mathematics)
Ruben1206
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: bsc finance/bsc financial mathematics and statistics
Other universities you're applying for: UCL/KCL
GCSE grades: 999D*888A66
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: A*A*A(mathematics, business studies, economics)
Home country: england
sarahyee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Course(s) I'm applying for at LSE: Bsc Acturial Science
Other Universities I'm applying for: Warwick, Bath, Exeter, UCL
GCSE grades: 9A*1A
Predict A-level grades & subjects: A*A*A*A (Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Economics)
Home Country: Malaysia

It would be great if you could advice me on how a four a level subject conditional offer would be. I read somewhere that the usual 4 A level offer is AAAE (pass in fourth subject). However with my further mathematics subject combination, do they usually specify the E requirement to belong to Further Mathematics, meaning AAAE(A in Maths and E in Further Mathematics)? Or is there a case where AAAE (A in Maths) with no specific subject for the fourth a level?

Many thanks in advance!
lauren_dxm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Politics and international relations
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, Warwick, Durham
GCSE grades: 999999888
Predicted A-level grades & subjects A*A*AA (english literature, EPQ, economics, politics)
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Hi Lucy,

needed your inputs please. My A level subjects are Math, Economics, History and Chemistry. The predictions have not come yet but I expect A* Math and A in all the three other subjects (best case I might possibly get A* in one or two of the other three). My GCSE math score was 6 hence though my school has Further Maths at A level but I was not allowed to take it. My GCSE has combination of 9, 8,7 and 6.

What are my chances to get Economics at LSE. I am very keen on Economics hence have worked very hard on Maths and expecting A*. Is there anything else I can do to show that I can handle Further maths with ease. Based on my focus and work ethic, I expect my teacher to mention my commitment to Maths and the extra work as part of the reference. I am a home student.

I will greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you so much for the help
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi Lucy,

needed your inputs please. My A level subjects are Math, Economics, History and Chemistry. The predictions have not come yet but I expect A* Math and A in all the three other subjects (best case I might possibly get A* in one or two of the other three). My GCSE math score was 6 hence though my school has Further Maths at A level but I was not allowed to take it. My GCSE has combination of 9, 8,7 and 6.

What are my chances to get Economics at LSE. I am very keen on Economics hence have worked very hard on Maths and expecting A*. Is there anything else I can do to show that I can handle Further maths with ease. Based on my focus and work ethic, I expect my teacher to mention my commitment to Maths and the extra work as part of the reference. I am a home student.

I will greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you so much for the help
As I don’t have any insider insight into the LSE admissions process (I’m just a student), I’m afraid I can’t answer questions as niche as this.

All I can really tell you is the general fact that without Further Maths, your chances of BSc Economics are less than 5%, while they’d be closer to 40% if you had it.

For a question as detailed as yours, you’d be better off emailing LSE and asking them.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Thank you Lucy. Any suggestion on what I can do more or any additional course to demonstrate my Maths capability.

Thanks again
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you Lucy. Any suggestion on what I can do more or any additional course to demonstrate my Maths capability.

Thanks again
Would self studying AS Further Maths be a possibility?

You could get started over the summer and then take it next summer.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Sure Lucy, thank you. I will explore the idea.

Kind regards
arshakshahr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
SCOTTISH APPLICANT
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE Economics
Other universities you're applying for Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews
GCSE grades 8 A's (National 5), 5 A's (predicted Higher, results coming in August)
Predicted A-level grades & subjects 4 A's (Advanced Higher)
Home country Scotland
ANO-NI-MUS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is this thread still active haha?
Course: Economics and Politics
Other universities: Leeds, Warwick, Manchester, Durham (maybe)
(I)GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*AA D(I want to cry about this)
Predicted A level: Haven't come out yet, will in September (Math, Economics, Psychology, Sociology)
Home Country: India
budumbumtsh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Disclaimer: mature-age applicant here! I'd also love to know what you think of my stats and chances, please!
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, UCL, Kings, Warwick
GCSE grades: 6A* 1A
A-level grades: TANKED IT: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Information Tech at BCCC and AS English at A
Predicted grades: BA in Political Science + Minor in English Lit, predicted GPA 3.75/4 (first class equivalent)
Extracurriculars: teaching assistant at the university level, student government, 3-month long internship with a human rights law chamber, volunteering teaching English to support staff
Home country: India
g.ana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Economics BSc
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Bath (?) Durham (?)
GCSE grades: 9999999998
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: Maths, Further maths, Economics, History, EPQ (all A*-A predictions)
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by g.ana)
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Economics BSc
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Bath (?) Durham (?)
GCSE grades: 9999999998
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: Maths, Further maths, Economics, History, EPQ (all A*-A predictions)
Just to check, is Maths one of your A* predictions?
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by budumbumtsh)
Disclaimer: mature-age applicant here! I'd also love to know what you think of my stats and chances, please!
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, UCL, Kings, Warwick
GCSE grades: 6A* 1A
A-level grades: TANKED IT: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Information Tech at BCCC and AS English at A
Predicted grades: BA in Political Science + Minor in English Lit, predicted GPA 3.75/4 (first class equivalent)
Extracurriculars: teaching assistant at the university level, student government, 3-month long internship with a human rights law chamber, volunteering teaching English to support staff
Home country: India
Are you applying for LLB law? Or for a masters?

If Masters, then you might want to start a postgrad thread, as this is the undergrad applicants thread.

If you are applying to do a second undergraduate degree, and this is the right thread for you, then regarding your chances, all I can really tell you is that the offer rate for LLB Law at LSE is 20%.

I'm don't have any information on which to calculate individual applicants' chances of an offer - I don't work for LSE admissions, and I have no access to their methods or data.

Additionally, anything I do know relates to typical school-leaver applicants applying with their A-level or IB grades (as they form the vast majority of these threads!). Mature applicants such as yourself, applying with non-traditional qualifications (in that you already have an undergrad degree) are assessed by LSE on a case by case basis.
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 1 month ago
budumbumtsh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Are you applying for LLB law? Or for a masters?

If Masters, then you might want to start a postgrad thread, as this is the undergrad applicants thread.

If you are applying to do a second undergraduate degree, and this is the right thread for you, then regarding your chances, all I can really tell you is that the offer rate for LLB Law at LSE is 20%.

I'm don't have any information on which to calculate individual applicants' chances of an offer - I don't work for LSE admissions, and I have no access to their methods or data.

Additionally, anything I do know relates to typical school-leaver applicants applying with their A-level or IB grades (as they form the vast majority of these threads!). Mature applicants such as yourself, applying with non-traditional qualifications (in that you already have an undergrad degree) are assessed by LSE on a case by case basis.
Hey, I'm applying for an LLB, thanks for your help though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (50)
13.66%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (50)
13.66%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (136)
37.16%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (39)
10.66%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (70)
19.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.74%

Watched Threads