The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taranour
Don't let that discourage you; I literally have no CS background either and did a few free online courses. You don't need to have studied GCSE or A level CS to do it in university.
Even if you don't have the grades you need but you narrowly missed the grades you were hoping for, check with your university whether they still will accept you. Sometimes they will, if say, their requirement was AAA but you got AAB. Otherwise I think some universities offer integrated foundation years which might not need A in maths (like Royal Holloway) or you could try to enter Clearing?
Good luck!

Hey I've been looking for some computer science online courses, what website did you use please?
Original post by oliviak121
Hi! Damn you guys are all so smart

GCSE grades: 99998877A
Predicted A level: A*AA in maths, biology, geography
Applied for: Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Leeds, Lancaster

I sent out my application 3 days ago and just got my acceptance from Leeds :smile:
Good luck to everyone applying !

Ayyy congratulations! I have firmed my offer from Uni of Leeds. Maybe we'll meet one day if you do end up firming Leeds l!
Hi! I'm applying to Manchester (BSc), Warwick, Sheffield and St Andrews (all integrated masters).
GCSEs: 9888887777A Predicted A-levels: A*AA in maths, further maths and French
I've had offers from Sheffield and Manchester so far, anyone had any offers from Warwick or St Andrews? (I sent in for early deadline)
Original post by Livlovbee
Hi! I'm applying to Manchester (BSc), Warwick, Sheffield and St Andrews (all integrated masters).
GCSEs: 9888887777A Predicted A-levels: A*AA in maths, further maths and French
I've had offers from Sheffield and Manchester so far, anyone had any offers from Warwick or St Andrews? (I sent in for early deadline)

I applied for St. Andrews too but haven’t heard anything yet unfortunately
Should I firm Durham Warwick or Imperial?
Original post by HopefulApp2020
I applied for St. Andrews too but haven’t heard anything yet unfortunately

One of my friends applied last year and they took a very long time to reply unfortunately
Original post by jduxie4414

In terms of graduate prospects and prestige for the course, it's a no-brainer: Imperial. But with regards to university experience and atmosphere etc, it's all personal preference.
Edit: I thought I'd add that Warwick and Durham are by all means very good universities too and the CS courses there are well respected, but, from what I understand, the Imperial CS courses are very well reputed in industry. In some cases, I've been told, that some companies prefer Imperial CS grads to Oxbridge as they often have more practical ability.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by dharsbars
Ayyy congratulations! I have firmed my offer from Uni of Leeds. Maybe we'll meet one day if you do end up firming Leeds l!

Wow, great! Who is your insurance choice? Did you hear back from Bath? I haven't heard anything yet :/

Difficult decision, they are very different environments. Imperial is obviously the most prestigious, but it's in London, so that could be a good or a bad thing. Their offer will be very high and will require a STEP II - 2 as part of the offer. If you're sure that those requirements won't be a problem, then it's a solid choice.

Durham have a fantastic reputation with CS and Warick is not far behind. Durham has the collegiate system in place, so if you like or dislike that, it will influence your choice.

I have applied to Durham, Bath, Imperial, King's. I have an offer from Durham, which I will firm I'd like to insurance Bath.

Let us know what you decide.:smile:
Original post by anon312
GCSE Grades : 9 A* 2A
Predicted Grades : A*A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry
Applied for: Imperial, UCL, Warwick, Leeds, St Andrews

I haven't applied yet due to my school - has anyone received any news from their unis yet?

I Got into Leeds

that's a difficult one - i was planning to choose between these 3 if i didn't get an offer from my first choice, and my plan was to choose durham
imperial is probably the most prestigious, nationally and probably worldwide too. the only thing is that you'd be living in london, which some people love, but it what personally put me off, as i wanted a campus uni
durham and warwick are both prestigious nationally too - so any choice is a good one, but it really depends on what lifestyle you want to live over the next three years i think :smile: good luck!
My Grades: AAA - 90%

Applying To: Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield and Bristol For Computer Science

Extracurriculars: Android App Developer(Developed 4 Android Apps), Wrote One Research Paper, Founded a Tech Startup, 10 Certifications Courses, 2 Entrepreneurship Programs, 3 Leadership Positions and Won 4 Awards Including Udacity Bertelsmann AI Scholarship.

As of now, I got Leeds, I am currently waiting for others
Original post by dharsbars

hey, even i got into leeds
Original post by BigFawn
Considering taking computer science my predicteds are A*AB with the B in maths unfortunately, what unis would u recommend or do you think I’d struggle too much considering I have no CS knowledge and am bang average at Maths

try applying to Nottingham if you have A In CS, apply to Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool.
Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Hi,

The requirements for BSc Computer Science at UoB are usually AAA, but for September 2021 only these are being reduced to AAB (including an A in A-level maths), to account for the disruption caused by COVID.

I think it would definitely be worth applying! If you want any clarification from the CS department, you can email our admissions team (their email address is near the bottom of this webpage: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/computer-science/computer-science.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab).

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

Zoe :smile:

Hello Zoe, does this applicable for international students also and if I have already received a offer for computer science bsc (AAA) does it automatically changes to AAB as the requirement?
Hey everyone I'd like your opinion on which uni you'd firm & insure and why out of St Andrews, Durham and Warwick!
Original post by it’syuena
Hey everyone I'd like your opinion on which uni you'd firm & insure and why out of St Andrews, Durham and Warwick!

forget the first 2 and apply Leeds, bristol and manchester. they are red brick and they are better for engineering and computer science
Original post by chebbi2003
forget the first 2 and apply Leeds, bristol and manchester. they are red brick and they are better for engineering and computer science

Hm, what are you basing that on? Graduate prospects? Teaching? I know they're red brick, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're the best unis. Just means they have a strong research output -- doesn't say anything about the undergraduate teaching though. Idk, would be interested to hear your thoughts :smile:
yes in graduate prospects and with programs and industry links. Bristol, Leeds and Manchester reach top 10 in graduate prospects in QS Ranking where as others don't. Red Brick unis provide better student quality and they are very strong especially in research which helps the students mind. Honestly, try going for red brick if you're going to engineering and CS. Warwick is also a good choice but don't go with others.
Reply 219
Any UK students still waiting to hear back for St Andrews Computer Science?

Latest

Trending

Trending