The Student Room Group

Redditors cost hedgefunds billions

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who says that Independent regulators might be corrupt are the same people who say that the BBC is biased or that Epstein didn't kill himself. These are dangerous right wing conspiracy theories people!
Original post by Napp

If nothing else comes out of this though, the memes have been, and i cannot put quite enough emphasis on this, spectacular. On the other hand, all of my us holdings are down thanks to the various funds liquidating everything so swings and roundabouts :rofl:

Their song is catchy as hell too:

httpsps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=twhqs3wy-_4

(Wellerman the longest John's GameStop)

Sadly I'm sure all these Hedgies are gonna get bailed out by the Biden Admin no doubt as part of some relief package.
(edited 3 years ago)
Eat the Rich

The end.
Here it is clearly explained in plain English.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1354496683938201600
(edited 3 years ago)
this won't have a long lasting impact on these funds imo. Eventually, the bubble is going to burst and the hedge funds will make a fortune when that happens. Also, they will start taking into account the impact of these reddit and retail investors into their strategies and portfolios, so they will start making a lot of money from these overinflated stocks.
Original post by poohead23
this won't have a long lasting impact on these funds imo. Eventually, the bubble is going to burst and the hedge funds will make a fortune when that happens. Also, they will start taking into account the impact of these reddit and retail investors into their strategies and portfolios, so they will start making a lot of money from these overinflated stocks.

Well it's also an opportunity to think about what those hedge fund people have been doing for the last few decades and whether it's really been a socially beneficial thing... . but probably an opportunity that's not going to get taken.
Original post by Joinedup
Well it's also an opportunity to think about what those hedge fund people have been doing for the last few decades and whether it's really been a socially beneficial thing... . but probably an opportunity that's not going to get taken.

True, but do hedge funds really just benefit the rich. Yeah they make a lot of money, but these funds give other investors, like those who manage pension schemes, a signal on which companies are doing well and which are doing poor, thereby increasing the returns on their portfolios.
Original post by poohead23
True, but do hedge funds really just benefit the rich. Yeah they make a lot of money, but these funds give other investors, like those who manage pension schemes, a signal on which companies are doing well and which are doing poor, thereby increasing the returns on their portfolios.

Well my opinion is it's really difficult to draw a clear line between good activities and harmful activities and something that starts off as benign can end up being harmful when it gets too big. Hedge funds making a steady 10% per annum in a low interest rate economy where people with 'real jobs' find it next to impossible to get a pay raise would seem on the face of it to have found what gamers would call an exploit. That money's got to be coming from somewhere.
https://youtu.be/hzXB9sBjxtw

Jimmy Dore discussing it with Glen Greenwald and mocking accusations of the possibility of Russia being behind the Reddit crowd.
Reply 30
Original post by caravaggio2
https://youtu.be/hzXB9sBjxtw

Jimmy Dore discussing it with Glen Greenwald and mocking accusations of the possibility of Russia being behind the Reddit crowd.

I really am sick to the back teeth of the Americans blaming absolutely every single one of their petty little problems on the scary bogey man of Russia. They really need to accept that their own country is rotten to the core whether or not the Russians might like occasionally stirring the pot.
As far as low grade propaganda goes the Americans are giving the Soviets a serious run for their money (at least when the Soviets were around) for the seriously poor quality of their propaganda war. At least the Russians generally tell the truth in theirs, if with an egregious bit of spin put on it :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending