The Student Room Group

Why does people on reddit always criticizes a 21-23 year old dating someone 18/19?

I have seen people on reddit even calling 22 year old dating an 18 year old predatory and creepy too and assuming that the older one will manipulate the younger one even though both legal adults and only 4 years apart(could be 3 too if she is gonna be 19 soon). Also why do always assume the 18 year old to be in high school? Both 18 and 22 can be in college too like a college freshman dating a college senior. I have also seen some redditors finding even 19 and 22 weird. So would you call me mentally stunted if I am 22 and talking with a 19 year old and don't notice a big maturity gap between us and can get along well even though reddit treats the gap between 18/19 and 22 to be the same as 30 and 18? I can understand people judging and criticizing a 30 year old for dating an 18 year old because even though its legal, the difference is huge but whats wrong with 21-23 dating some 18/19? Yeah I have seen reddit criticizing even 18 and 21 too.
Original post by Anonymous
I have seen people on reddit even calling 22 year old dating an 18 year old predatory and creepy too and assuming that the older one will manipulate the younger one even though both legal adults and only 4 years apart(could be 3 too if she is gonna be 19 soon). Also why do always assume the 18 year old to be in high school? Both 18 and 22 can be in college too like a college freshman dating a college senior. I have also seen some redditors finding even 19 and 22 weird. So would you call me mentally stunted if I am 22 and talking with a 19 year old and don't notice a big maturity gap between us and can get along well even though reddit treats the gap between 18/19 and 22 to be the same as 30 and 18? I can understand people judging and criticizing a 30 year old for dating an 18 year old because even though its legal, the difference is huge but whats wrong with 21-23 dating some 18/19? Yeah I have seen reddit criticizing even 18 and 21 too.

Why are you banging on about redditors? Have you just copied this post from Reddit?
Who cares WHY people on Reddit say what they say? When they are talking a load of narrow-minded nonsense.

Love between 2 consenting adults is a beautiful thing. Anyone portraying love as something that's ugly is a person with a bigger issue than the 2 people in love.
Well the only ones that will shout out about it are the ones who care, otherwise they will basically ignore your Q.

The lower the ages the more a lot of people think an age gap counts due to development and interests, and often the potential for manipulation is there.

Even if you posted here 'I'm 17 wanting to date a 17 year old' You will still have at least half a dozen conservative posters sternly insisting you are too young to be dating and to get on with your homework and/or worship *shrug*
I'm not sure why this concerns you so much that you've stumbled from Reddit (where, let's face it, you can find opinions for all seasons) onto a UK student site when you are clearly from the US. I can only assume it's to seek validation for a relationship you have or may enter into. In which case yes, you're broadly right. The main issue with age gaps is not so much the age gap itself but the gap in maturity and where the two are in life. A 23 year old who is out of university and in work is in a position where they can exert power over an 18 year old who is still in school, and to a degree an 18 year old who has just started university. It doesn't make the relationship inappropriate and doesn't mean that the 23 year old is doing that, but the risk is there and people on the internet will therefore comment on it. But a 35 year old isn't going to be able to do the same to a 30 year old despite the age gap being the same. So the red flags are situational more than anything.
Reply 5
Original post by Crazy Jamie
I'm not sure why this concerns you so much that you've stumbled from Reddit (where, let's face it, you can find opinions for all seasons) onto a UK student site when you are clearly from the US. I can only assume it's to seek validation for a relationship you have or may enter into. In which case yes, you're broadly right. The main issue with age gaps is not so much the age gap itself but the gap in maturity and where the two are in life. A 23 year old who is out of university and in work is in a position where they can exert power over an 18 year old who is still in school, and to a degree an 18 year old who has just started university. It doesn't make the relationship inappropriate and doesn't mean that the 23 year old is doing that, but the risk is there and people on the internet will therefore comment on it. But a 35 year old isn't going to be able to do the same to a 30 year old despite the age gap being the same. So the red flags are situational more than anything.

I am not even from US. I live in Bangalore in India and I am 22 year old now and chat with some girls on Instagram who are all 18-23 year olds and were in the same school as me and I have crush on some of them and one of them is 18 turning 19 in August. What I am trying to say is that whether 18 and 22 is still bad even though she is also a college student and I am also one in the last year of college? And people keep saying there is a big maturity gap between 18 and 22 but I don't feel the maturity gap between me and this girl so does it mean I am mentally stunted? I also never had a girlfriend before. I wanna know whether the age gap is unusual even in India too in the big cities. I have also seen people on Indian subreddits calling a 24 year old a predator for dating an 18 year old so I wonder whether they would say the same for even 18 and 22 which is only 4 years apart.
18 and 22 is fine. Why are you so bothered about what strangers on the internet think?
Original post by Anonymous

America tends to have conservative sexual culture, in some states their age of sexual consent is 17-18 (For sexual consent with adults) which is simply too high for me, and for us in UK.

Especially by radical feminist subreddits by TwoXChromosomes who bash men and think some age gaps are "predatory" and "pedophilia". They claim they want sexual and romantic freedom yet restrict it heavily, how hypocritical and pathetic.

The feminists, especially the radical feminists I despise, are controlling our society more and more. It is the agenda of many females to criticise men for going after younger ladies, even those that are 18, when the man is 23.

It is fine for young adults to date each other. The bottom line is do not date or have sex with anyone under the age of sexual consent (for sex with adults) period. In UK this is 16, in most states in America it's 16 although in some it's 17, or even 18 (including California where they export American culture).

Go to r/agegap and you'd see more positive experiences.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 8
Idk? is it some kind of virtue signal among youngsters to be so concerned with age? legit read people calling someone a paedo for datting a 19 year old (he was 23, she 19). People are weirdly stupid nowadays.
Original post by Kovalensky
Idk? is it some kind of virtue signal among youngsters to be so concerned with age? legit read people calling someone a paedo for datting a 19 year old (he was 23, she 19). People are weirdly stupid nowadays.

It is. Politically correct culture and some problematic parts of woke culture have infected our society nowadays.

Back in the late 20th century these age gap relationships and sometimes bigger were thought of as fine, rules were more lenient those days. We've turned very protectionist (shall we say infantilising) of the youth these days, culturally.

While we can't turn back the clock, and some things in old days were problematic, we both know this infantilisation of youth has gone too far! They're young adults for **** sakes.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by justlearning1469
It is. Politically correct culture and some problematic parts of woke culture have infected our society nowadays.

Back in the late 20th century these age gap relationships and sometimes bigger were thought of as fine, rules were more lenient those days. We've turned very protectionist (shall we say infantilising) of the youth these days, culturally.

While we can't turn back the clock, and some things in old days were problematic, we both know this infantilisation of youth has gone too far! They're young adults for **** sakes.

It's not just back in the 20th century. I remember nobody in say 2012, 2011 being bothered by a 19 year old dating whoever let alone a 23 year old. But nowadays it seems that the louder you are about how a 20 year old is "still a kid", the more moral of a person you are seen to be. Being 20 is very young and that person likely has no real experience with relationships. But how do you get experience at that age? you get into a relationship and a 23 year old isn't going to be worse for you than a 19 year old merely because they're 23.
(edited 11 months ago)
A lot of the posters on reddit's dating and relationship connected threads take very hostile attitudes towards lawful age gap relationships that involve any teenagers or more than 3 years age gap between adults.
Reddit has quite a few toxic cliques that also spend a lot of time together offline and are in the habit of flouting rules against brigading or vote manipulation.
It's not just back in the 20th century. I remember nobody in say 2012, 2011 being bothered by a 19 year old dating whoever let alone a 23 year old. But nowadays it seems that the louder you are about how a 20 year old is "still a kid", the more moral of a person you are seen to be. Being 20 is very young and that person likely has no real experience with relationships. But how do you get experience at that age? you get into a relationship and a 23 year old isn't going to be worse for you than a 19 year old merely because they're 23.

You deserve a rep

Back in 2011-12 you could still gamble at 16, leave school at 16 in England, marry with parent permission in England and Wales. Now our freedoms have been taken away. Many hysterical feminists are trying to take away more of our sexual freedoms. Some girls have also joined in the bandwagon to complain of older men who just wanted to try their luck with youthful ladies (we are talking about those at or over the age of sexual consent, don't misinterpret, TSR mods)

20 year olds are not kids they're young adults. Yet our society latched on to 25 as the "magic number" which our brain is "fully" developed. You don't need a fully developed brain to decide on relationships with adults, you just need a developed enough brain.

If these feminists can band together to gang up on older men going after younger ladies, we should band together to defend these older men, they deserve their freedom to go after younger ladies without the shaming from radical feminists and some hysterical girls trying to take down our reputation.
I've seen some in TSR who advocated for my banning because of my views. This culture has infected significant parts of our society.

Now, how do we fight back?
Original post by londonmyst
A lot of the posters on reddit's dating and relationship connected threads take very hostile attitudes towards lawful age gap relationships that involve any teenagers or more than 3 years age gap between adults.
Reddit has quite a few toxic cliques that also spend a lot of time together offline and are in the habit of flouting rules against brigading or vote manipulation.

You deserve a rep.

Although, these things depend on culture. In California this stuff is less accepted because of their culture and their age of sexual consent being 18.

For TSR and UK, the bottom line is 16. Do remember some people in Reddit come from countries where their age of sexual consent is very high, and thus may react in horror.
(edited 11 months ago)
You deserve a rep

Back in 2011-12 you could still gamble at 16, leave school at 16 in England, marry with parent permission in England and Wales. Now our freedoms have been taken away. Many hysterical feminists are trying to take away more of our sexual freedoms. Some girls have also joined in the bandwagon to complain of older men who just wanted to try their luck with youthful ladies (we are talking about those at or over the age of sexual consent, don't misinterpret, TSR mods)

20 year olds are not kids they're young adults. Yet our society latched on to 25 as the "magic number" which our brain is "fully" developed. You don't need a fully developed brain to decide on relationships with adults, you just need a developed enough brain.

If these feminists can band together to gang up on older men going after younger ladies, we should band together to defend these older men, they deserve their freedom to go after younger ladies without the shaming from radical feminists and some hysterical girls trying to take down our reputation.
I've seen some in TSR who advocated for my banning because of my views. This culture has infected significant parts of our society.

You deserve a rep.

Although, these things depend on culture. In California this stuff is less accepted because of their culture and their age of sexual consent being 18.

For TSR and UK, the bottom line is 16. Do remember some people in Reddit come from countries where their age of sexual consent is very high, and thus may react in horror.

Don't really fight back anything. I just ridicule these people who think at 18 you can sign up to go to war but not date someone MERELY (this is the important thing, they may not be suitable to date for other reasons but they focus solely on age) because they're 4-5 years older.
You deserve a rep

You deserve a rep.

Just a small question for information what type of gambling could you do at 16 in 2011-12?

Otherwise I'm in general agreement that the whole question surrounding age gaps is becoming silly.
Original post by ageshallnot
Just a small question for information what type of gambling could you do at 16 in 2011-12?

Otherwise I'm in general agreement that the whole question surrounding age gaps is becoming silly.

The National Lottery, one of those exceptions back then, before they raised the age to 18 in 2021. I felt like that was an overreaction and dismantling of a fine tradition.

At least we are in agreement. The bottom line is not to date or have sex with anyone below 16, period.

Don't really fight back anything. I just ridicule these people who think at 18 you can sign up to go to war but not date someone MERELY (this is the important thing, they may not be suitable to date for other reasons but they focus solely on age) because they're 4-5 years older.

I agree.

And for Scotland, it's even worse: you're mature enough to marry, but a guy a few years older would be ridiculed for dating you, at 16.

Hypocrisy, and shows the infantilisation of our youth today.
(edited 11 months ago)
The National Lottery, one of those exceptions back then, before they raised the age to 18 in 2021. I felt like that was an overreaction and dismantling of a fine tradition.

At least we are in agreement. The bottom line is not to date or have sex with anyone below 16, period.

Ah, of course! Thanks.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending