The Student Room Group

Maths degree to engineering

How common is it for people with a maths degree to go into the engineering world?
Original post by user342
How common is it for people with a maths degree to go into the engineering world?

If you discount software engineering, probably not very common. Why?
Reply 2
Some of the Engineer Officers in the Royal Navy join with degrees in Maths.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/engineers
Original post by user342

I know someone who did this,
they got a MSc in engineering after their maths undergrad & work in an area of engineering more catered to maths grads.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
If you discount software engineering, probably not very common. Why?

Trying to narrow down uni degree courses, atm I've got medicine, maths or natsci/physics and engineering. Kinda broad... I think my priority is deciding whether to go for medicine or not, then I can focus on which of the others to go for. There's a broad range of careers from maths, and I like maths anyway, so it would be fun. Natsci/physics can go into engineering as well, and all of the non medicine ones can go into maths related careers eg accountant.
You could consider doing a more mathematical engineering degree like engineering maths/physics or control engineering. I'd say the career options from engineering are broader than maths if you take into account ease of getting into those careers e.g. it's easier to do engineering with an engineering undergrad, although maths/physics grads are targeted a bit more for some of those careers.

That said, for engineering you really need to know that you want to do engineering as a career before you choose it otherwise you will struggle through uni.
Original post by user342
Trying to narrow down uni degree courses, atm I've got medicine, maths or natsci/physics and engineering. Kinda broad... I think my priority is deciding whether to go for medicine or not, then I can focus on which of the others to go for. There's a broad range of careers from maths, and I like maths anyway, so it would be fun. Natsci/physics can go into engineering as well, and all of the non medicine ones can go into maths related careers eg accountant.

Like maths degree holders, it is possible for physics grads to go into engineering, but it's also quite rare (again, with the proviso that this does not include software engineering). If engineering is something that you are keen on, an engineering degree is the best way to maximise your options in this field after graduating (although I appreciate you are still at the stage of trying to narrow down options - I'm just offering this as advice).
Reply 7
Original post by user342

If you have already graduated then either a postgrad or undergrad in the branch of engineering you are interested in usually needed. To be CEng usually required MEng or BEng + MSc although they will consider alternatives.

If you want to work in engineering with a Maths degree it is possible but I think for niche roles. I don’t feel well qualified to give u advice. Maybe in simulations for example in F1 with pit strategy that kind of thing. In other branches of engineering maybe in project management or accounting department. Again I do not know.

Quick Reply

Latest