The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

I don’t really care for uni rankings but why is satisfaction so low in uni of Manc?

For example speech and language therapy was 39% and dentistry was 57%.
I think instead of uni rankings people should look at satisfaction rates because they are quite low.
Uni rankings average the score of many different variables. So while it may have low student satisfaction, it may have cutting edge equipment, research and also get some of the brightest people to visit and give talks on their field - something that lower ranking unis may not have.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Fox Hound
Uni rankings average the score of many different variables. So while it may have low student satisfaction, it may have cutting edge equipment, research and also get some of the brightest people to visit and give talks on their field - something that lower ranking unis may not have.

That’s true, but if a student isn’t satisfied and feel like what they’ve learned has prepared them for future careers then there isn’t any point if the the tech is new and amazing.
Original post by SparkleFace
That’s true, but if a student isn’t satisfied and feel like what they’ve learned has prepared them for future careers then there isn’t any point if the the tech is new and amazing.

That's a good point you've raised but satisfaction in itself could mean many things. They might have learned all that they needed to but it could be the case that the workload was unreasonable, the staff weren't helpful, there might not have been many societies or extra-curricular activities going on etc. I'm not picking on any particular uni but it is possible that other factors could have reduced the score.
A lot of top, top universities get the lowest student satisfaction. UCL, LSE KCl come off at the top of my head. For example, UCL's economics course has 57% student satisfaction. Doesn't really mean students don't like the course. I'm sure anyone would rather take UCL than any non-russel group uni which has an 80% student satisfaction. Also, have you ever wondered why Oxbridge never submit their student satisfaction to university league table publishers like the complete university guide? If they did, they would no longer be top (but they always should be top since they have arguably the best teaching in the world). Student satisfaction is meaningless in my opinion.
Original post by Fox Hound
That's a good point you've raised but satisfaction in itself could mean many things. They might have learned all that they needed to but it could be the case that the workload was unreasonable, the staff weren't helpful, there might not have been many societies or extra-curricular activities going on etc. I'm not picking on any particular uni but it is possible that other factors could have reduced the score.

Ahh I see, that would make sense.
Original post by Anonymous
A lot of top, top universities get the lowest student satisfaction. UCL, LSE KCl come off at the top of my head. For example, UCL's economics course has 57% student satisfaction. Doesn't really mean students don't like the course. I'm sure anyone would rather take UCL than any non-russel group uni which has an 80% student satisfaction. Also, have you ever wondered why Oxbridge never submit their student satisfaction to university league table publishers like the complete university guide? If they did, they would no longer be top (but they always should be top since they have arguably the best teaching in the world). Student satisfaction is meaningless in my opinion.

Yep I agree with this - there are many threads on TSR trying to find reasons why Edinburgh ,on average, has very low student satisfaction for their courses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending