The Student Room Group

UCL vs KCL Politics/ IR

Hi, I'm planning to study Politics/ IR at university starting 2024 and am torn between UCL Politics/ IR and KCL IR. I love the course at KCL probably slightly more than at UCL, and I noticed that although many people say KCL has a better reputation for politics and especially international relations due to their prestigious war studies department and also has higher levels of things like teaching etc. However, it has been dropping domestically and internationally in the rankings to the point where UCL ranks above it both in pretty much every ranking system. Given this, are the rankings an accurate reflection of the perceived prestige of the respective unis for the subject (especially internationally), and if so is this something that would make a tangible difference in future for jobs etc, especially given the fact I'd be ignoring UCL's terrible student satisfaction ratings for the course? Also, would UCL's generally better reputation as a uni make a difference in this?
Any help would be appreciated ! :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Have you been or are you planning to go to an Open Day at either of them?

PS. Rankings are total nonsense, and are based on things that have no impact on any undergraduate degree - and they cannot tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni. Remember, its totally possible be totally miserable at any Uni whatever 'ranking' they have. Its no way to pick a Uni.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Have you been or are you planning to go to an Open Day at either of them?

PS. Rankings are total nonsense, and are based on things that have no impact on any undergraduate degree - and they cannot tell you if you will enjoy that course or like being at that Uni. Remember, its totally possible be totally miserable at any Uni whatever 'ranking' they have. Its no way to pick a Uni.

Thank you for your response, I am planning to go to both the upcoming open days although I haven't yet. The thing I wonder about rankings is whether or not employers will care about them when I leave uni? Maybe this won't be important given they are both very highly regarded but I wonder if UCL being generally regarded that level above as a whole institution might be important?
Reply 3
Original post by Lonchik
Hi, I'm planning to study Politics/ IR at university starting 2024 and am torn between UCL Politics/ IR and KCL IR. I love the course at KCL probably slightly more than at UCL, and I noticed that although many people say KCL has a better reputation for politics and especially international relations due to their prestigious war studies department and also has higher levels of things like teaching etc. However, it has been dropping domestically and internationally in the rankings to the point where UCL ranks above it both in pretty much every ranking system. Given this, are the rankings an accurate reflection of the perceived prestige of the respective unis for the subject (especially internationally), and if so is this something that would make a tangible difference in future for jobs etc, especially given the fact I'd be ignoring UCL's terrible student satisfaction ratings for the course? Also, would UCL's generally better reputation as a uni make a difference in this?

UCL
Reply 4
Original post by Lonchik
Maybe this won't be important given they are both very highly regarded

At this level, no employer will actually care.

More important will be 'relevant experience' gained during your degree, how good your job application is, and how you perform at interview. You do not come out of any Uni with a barcode on your forehead that guarantees you a job just because of the name of the Uni.

Go to both Open Days - then make your decision.
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
UCL

Just for reputation or for both course and reputation?
Reply 6
At this level, no employer will actually care.

More important will be 'relevant experience' gained during your degree, how good your job application is, and how you perform at interview. You do not come out of any Uni with a barcode on your forehead that guarantees you a job just because of the name of the Uni.

Go to both Open Days - then make your decision.

Okay, thank you for the advice !
Reply 7
Original post by Lonchik
Just for reputation or for both course and reputation?

Reputation. I am not familiar with both courses but they seem to both be strong. My personal view is when two courses are about the same in strength, go for the better reputation.
Original post by Lonchik

Generally, you shouldn't notice a difference in career prospects and whatnot. Nevertheless, if you truly want that competitive edge, I'd go for UCL. I can't speak for the course content or structure, but I can't image they're worlds apart. :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Wired_1800
when two courses are about the same in strength, go for the better reputation.

Please can you explain how you measure something as nebulous as 'reputation'.
Please can you explain how you measure something as nebulous as 'reputation'.

I generally use a combination of home and international ranking tables, as noted by the OP. It is my approach and don't force it on other people.
Original post by Lonchik

Rankings are totally meaningless. They have a use to see who are the better and worse universities so if somewhere is shown as 3rd it is likely to be better than somewhere which is 73rd but the difference between the top 20 or so universities is minimal.

Part of the problem is the information used to compile them. As an example they might use student satisfaction. This is based on a very small number especially on subject tables. A couple of students who were unhappy because they didnt get the grading they wanted can have a much larger impact on the tables. Over the last couple of years covid has impacted on student satisfaction rates. It is also a fact that students in smaller provincial universities rate their universities higher than those in somewhere like London. Part of this is that somewhere like London is so unfriendly and leads to low satiisfaction rates. Another reason is that students in top universities have greater expectation.

The international tables place great emphasis on historical issues and less on teaching quality and tend to look at research more which doesnt affect undergraduates. The result of this is that older universities especially in London tend to be ranked far higher in international tables than in the domestic ones whilst places like Bath and Lancaster which are more modern universities in small cities do better in domestic rankings which are based on issues like student satisfaction.

For these and many other reasons it is foolish to rely on ranking tables other than as a guide. You certainly cant use them to decide whether KCL or UCL is better. What matters is where the course content suits you better and what environment you feel most comfortable in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending