The Student Room Group

Why does KCL not perform very well on national rankings?

Whilst it's higher ranking than the majority of universities, it has a lower ranking than you'd expect, and one I think that isn't right. It's below Surrey and East Anglia, for example, and other RG unis that don't necessarily stand out for any particular course. KCL also does very well in many individual courses. Is it largely the student satisfaction bringing it down? Even if it is, the difference between it and other high ranking universities in student satisfaction isn't very big
The rankings are very subjective things and you need to be very careful to draw any conclusions from them. However, it's true that KCL's reputation has been slowly dropping over the last years due to some factors - you can check the rankings and see what exactly they are measuring and you can see where it's not performing too well. You'll also probably realise that a lot of the things they measure on the rankings are of absolutely 0 importance to the students, which doesn't help matters.

I'll also say that KCL's increasing reputation of mistreating students isn't helping them. But reputations come and they go, universities go up and down the rankings and despite what any disgruntled KCL student or the rankings say, you should apply there if you think it's right for you.
Reply 2
As above, rankings are a pretty silly way of choosing a University - however, the reality of being a student at KCL, UCL and LSE is not quite as 'magic' as you might imagine.

They tend to treat undergrads like a 'production line' commodity to generate money. LSE has a student population that is nearly 70% overseas students and the other two are not far behind - and these are mostly Chinese. This might have an impact on your 'student experience'.

Think carefully before you assume anything about the 'wonderment' of these London Unis - and look at some Unis outside London instead.
Reply 3
Yeah, it's almost entirely down to student satisfaction. As above, this is the same with all London universities. I was at UCL and enjoyed being a student in London, but I knew lots of people who hated it - expensive accommodation, expensive nightlife, overcrowded facilities... etc.

Personally I liked it because I didn't want a kind of "campus" experience where you're surrounded by students and student activity 24/7. Being in London felt more grown up, somehow. But that was just me, and not everyone wants that from their university experience.

KCL especially has a reputation for being quite isolating and unfriendly because they're not nearly as centralised as UCL or Imperial - their buildings and accommodation are spread out across the Strand, Waterloo, Southwark and Camberwell, so really quite far apart. Lots of people complain about finding it hard to make friends, and having to spend even more money on tube and bus fares just to get to lectures or the library.

As a form of "protest" against high rents and underinvestment, the Student Unions at the main London unis generally organise a boycott of the student satisfaction survey in the third year, deliberately to return the lowest score and bring the uni's ranking down.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by fedora34
Yeah, it's almost entirely down to student satisfaction. As above, this is the same with all London universities. I was at UCL and enjoyed being a student in London, but I knew lots of people who hated it - expensive accommodation, expensive nightlife, overcrowded facilities... etc.

Personally I liked it because I didn't want a kind of "campus" experience where you're surrounded by students and student activity 24/7. Being in London felt more grown up, somehow. But that was just me, and not everyone wants that from their university experience.

KCL especially has a reputation for being quite isolating and unfriendly because they're not nearly as centralised as UCL or Imperial - their buildings and accommodation are spread out across the Strand, Waterloo, Southwark and Camberwell, so really quite far apart. Lots of people complain about finding it hard to make friends, and having to spend even more money on tube and bus fares just to get to lectures or the library.

As a form of "protest" against high rents and underinvestment, the Student Unions at the main London unis generally organise a boycott of the student satisfaction survey in the third year, deliberately to return the lowest score and bring the uni's ranking down.

Yup, I've heard exactly what you're saying for London universities. Personally I'm not bothered with the campus experience and what not so it shouldn't matter to me. I'm very glad to study in London, and I suppose I'm quite lucky to be living at home too. I just wonder why KCL student satisfaction in particular is so bad haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending