The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Is 4 years for a BSc from Edinburgh worth it?

I got an offer to study BSc Computer Science and was wondering if it's informatics department is good. Student satisfaction seems to be quite low...

Also to achieve a BSc from a Scottish university it takes 3 years as opposed to an English one. So would it be worth the extra year of tuition fees?
@Blue_Cow might be able to provide some inside info :smile:

Generally from an external point of view they're considered pretty strong in the field, although I do gather the student satisfaction issues are present and justified to some extent (although it's worth noting in general large, highly ranked unis tend to have lower student satisfaction scores on average, although I've heard there are some specific issues in the department relating to feedback and so on so it's not purely that).

In terms of 4 years vs 3 years I think this is a bit of a red herring. The difference of one year at the start of your career is pretty much miniscule in the grand scheme of things, and there are some benefits potentially - an extra summer to get internships, an extra year to prepare for assessment centres, etc.

If you really detest the idea of spending any more years at uni than you "Have to" then I'd genuinely recommend looking at degree apprenticeships, as it might just be that uni isn't the right fit for you and you'd flourish much more getting your degree while working (and in any case, degree apprenticeships I gather tend to set you up a bit better in the computing sector professionally anyway due to the extensive experience you gain).
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending