The Student Room Group

University Choices

I'm currently in Year 12 studying Maths, Computer Science and Business. I was wondering about Unis, I'm really interested in Lancaster and I know it is ranked well. But I was wondering even though it is ranked highly and higher then some Unis, for example University of Liverpool, would going to a lower rated Russel group be better then a higher rated non-Russel for employability later on? Most Russel groups despite them being lower ranked are harder to get into then Lancaster but it is ranked better. Lancaster has a great Software Engineering course which is what I want to go into so I was wondering if going to Lancaster would be worse for employability then other Unis such as Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield.
Original post by skinfade123
I'm currently in Year 12 studying Maths, Computer Science and Business. I was wondering about Unis, I'm really interested in Lancaster and I know it is ranked well. But I was wondering even though it is ranked highly and higher then some Unis, for example University of Liverpool, would going to a lower rated Russel group be better then a higher rated non-Russel for employability later on? Most Russel groups despite them being lower ranked are harder to get into then Lancaster but it is ranked better. Lancaster has a great Software Engineering course which is what I want to go into so I was wondering if going to Lancaster would be worse for employability then other Unis such as Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield.

Most employers don't care what uni you went to, they simply care what degree you studied and what classification of degree you obtained (e.g. a 2:1 or above). So pick the uni and course you prefer.

Note that the Russell Group is an organisation designed to help it's members market themselves. It is not a guarantee of quality. Many excellent unis are not even members.
Reply 2

The only people who care about university rankings are universities wanting to use ranking as a way of luring undergraduates and undergraduate's egos. In the employment world they only care about what you can do and what skills you have.

Hi @skinfade123 ,
I'm currently in my 3rd year studying geography at Lancaster. When I applied for Lancaster I felt similar, I had found a great course to study but i was worried about it not being a Russel group. Personally, after studying at university i would say that some rankings are more important than being a Russel group eg. Student satisfaction or employability afterwards, so if you've found a course you love, maybe check out some of these rankings, and then just go for it, as the most important thing is you enjoy what your studying.
If you've got any more questions about Lancaster, i'd be happy to answer them
-Jasmine(Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 4

I wouldnt worry about it too much, its all much of a muchness really in the employers eyes so leeds, lancaster, liverpool, they wont really care too much (unless its like oxbridge of course). Some people (and ive seen this on TSR) have had the amazing grades at some great unis, including russells but cant get a job because they did not get any experience. No fault of theirs, covid didnt help, but because of the no work experience they found it a much harder for employment.
So definitely ask around, especially on open days at the department about the support you will get regarding internships.
My eldest is at Lancaster studying particle physics and she got an unpaid one in first year for 2 weeks (think she badgered the supervisor a lot to get a voluntary one lol) and the she got a paid research one end of second year which will all contribute for her phd application.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending