The Student Room Group

How hard is Geography A level?

Asking for my friend
Original post by xDmochi
Asking for my friend

Not extremely hard like other subjects. But there is A LOT of content!! No joke, one small subtopic (hazardous earth) has 8 case studies which is crazy. I think in total I have to learn around 30 :frown:

Lots of essays involved, i take the OCR exam board and in one of the papers there are 2 X 33 markers, 2 X 12 markers, 2 X 6 markers and lots of small mark questions. So if your friend does take geography be prepared for many essays.

The coursework is not that bad as you can research any topic you like. I did mine on regeneration and enjoying it!

Really good subject to take alongside economics as the majority of topics relate.

Not much maths, mainly basic such as IQ, LQ, UP, mean, mode, median, range....etc.

Overall, would recommend taking the subject as it is quite interesting.
I do A level geography and find it a really relevant subject to current affairs and so on, it's definitely my broadest A level and my favourite, and it links very well with History, Sociology, English literature and parts of chemistry and biology too!! If you want a subject where you won't get broad go for geography!
Mostly it's just dull as s***. Not much else to say, it's your bog standard memorise a whole lot of pointless trivia and regurgitate it on an exam paper.
In my opinion, its not hard at all. It's just the content is too overwhelming. I love Geography though so maybe that's why I don't find it hard.
Reply 5
I took biology, history and geography at A Level. i now study geography at university.....despite my favouritism of the subject I do honestly think it is a great subject to take at A Level. You get to learn so much about the world in a real life context, especially as case studies are used. It is a facilitating subject which links to most other subjects. For me, I found aspects of both biology and history overlapping into geography. In terms of difficulty I definitely found the content was quite a lot to learn but nothing was incredibly technical (like maths or another science subject would be). Before choosing it for definite I would ask your teachers what topics you would be studying and decide whether these topics genuinely interest you. The exams are quite time pressured but for the essay questions there is often no right or wrong answer. The quality of your essay answers are determined largely by case study knowledge and extra details. If you’re willing to put the work in and perfect your essay technique the exams are very manageable. There are only so many essay style questions they can ask about and past papers often have very similar style questions. My exams consisted of 2 markers right up to 25 markers, so there is a real range of question style. Geography is much more than reading maps or ‘colouring in’....it truly does open your perspective of real-life issues. If it interests you in the slightest I would recommend taking it because having an interest in the subject will help you secure a good grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending