The Student Room Group

help on organic synthesis (a-level) question?

I would very much appreciate if someone could input how they would answer this OCR chemistry question... i attempted it but got it completely wrong!

chemistryorganicsynthesis.PNG
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, I will give this a go and let u know once I do : )
What thought do you have so far?
you add a haloalkane to it, then turn that haloalkane into a Cyanide and then reduce it
what exam paper is this from?
Original post by Biskwit
Hi, I will give this a go and let u know once I do : )

Thank you very much!! :smile:
Original post by Pyruvic Acid
What thought do you have so far?

honestly I had no idea but, I thought of addition of chloromethane, since the chlorine atom is electronegative and the carbon is slightly electropositive, and so the electron pair of the double bond is donated to the carbon atom, causing the c-cl bond to break via heterolytic fission, and a dative covalent bond set up between one of the carbons of the double bond and the carbon of the haloalkane? but i wasn't sure what to next, also this is completely wrong :lol:
Original post by Out with Gavin
you add a haloalkane to it, then turn that haloalkane into a Cyanide and then reduce it

ahh that makes sense, i'll try that! thanks so much :smile:
also i'm not really sure, it was on an OCR questions doc my teacher sent me "Chapter 18 exam style questions from kerboodle"
Reply 6
I couldn’t get it sorry, but use this to help A02681AF-F3F1-4EC9-A85F-04BD2461FDFF.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Biskwit
I couldn’t get it sorry, but use this to help A02681AF-F3F1-4EC9-A85F-04BD2461FDFF.jpg.jpeg

That's amazing, thank you so much!! :smile:
Reply 8
Anytime :smile:
Reply 9
Also I think I sent u the wrong thing lol; it’s this D9B7E9E1-C19A-46F4-8CD8-EBCC7A089B45.jpg.jpeg
so would the route go 1 4 7 ?
I would've said add HBr then CN and then reduce with Hydrogen and nickel

Original post by kittykatlover
so would the route go 1 4 7 ?

I'm not sure but i thought 2 6 28
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by astrogirl_
I would've said add HBr then CN and then reduce with Hydrogen and nickel

I'm not sure but i thought 2 6 28

yeah I got exactly that, hbr , aqeous kcn + reflux, H2 with Ni catalyst

Quick Reply

Latest