The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwert7890
:rofl: let's go with the latter haha

it's not my scenario, one of my friend's who is already in medical school :tongue:

If you're really keen you can have a go at writing some eportfolio reflections for me. No medical expertise required :wink:
Original post by Democracy
If you're really keen you can have a go at writing some eportfolio reflections for me. No medical expertise required :wink:

Slide 'em into my PMs... :colone:

reflection made simple.jpeg
You're welcome!
Original post by GANFYD
reflection made simple.jpeg
You're welcome!

Yep exactly, no medical expertise required. A trained chimp could do it - where's the ethics in that?! :stomp:
Yep exactly, no medical expertise required. A trained chimp could do it - where's the ethics in that?! :stomp:

You feel the chimp needs to be trained?? Could it not just fling excrement and you choose the comments where it sticks?
My reflections are usually along the lines of "I learned that e-learning is not something that benefits my practice of medicine" or "This course has made me realise I need to be more assiduous in deciding my PDP goals"
Original post by qwert7890
this is very helpful indeed - thank you very much!! this is an actual scenario given to medical students! What about the "legal issues" involved in this? I still did not understand what 'legal' issues would present in this case. Perhaps you could reference the Mental Capacity act, or the best interests principle or something?

I mean you could talk about the MCA, or perhaps the Montgomery principles surrounding consent, but really this is just good medical practice rather than raising many issues as far as I can see?

Someone made a point about not treating staff - yes, you're advised to not treat close friends family, especially e.g. writing private scripts, and it can be worth asking if patients would rather see someone else/the consultant (I have done this when anaesthetising fellow trainees) but if you're the ICU reg and one of your nurses needs seeing, you can't exactly scrabble around to find someone who doesn't know her!
Hey guys, if anyone has had an interview at the University of Leicester for medicine this year, I would be really grateful if you could share some tips for the interview and what to prepare for (in general). I know that you obviously can't share the exact questions and stations due to confidentiality but I would appreciate it so much if you could just give some tips in general about how to prepare and what they are expecting of you. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Um,Bridge
Hey guys, if anyone has had an interview at the University of Leicester for medicine this year, I would be really grateful if you could share some tips for the interview and what to prepare for (in general). I know that you obviously can't share the exact questions and stations due to confidentiality but I would appreciate it so much if you could just give some tips in general about how to prepare and what they are expecting of you. Thank you :smile:

Have you been to the Leicester Med School website?

That's all that people here can tell you... any "tips" over and above what's available online and that would be in breach of the non-disclosure agreement and could get them in trouble.

Remember, med school admission staff come on TSR - people have got into trouble before for this, including losing their offer!

Post originally created by ecolier.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes I totally understand what you are saying and have heard about that. I was just asking in general like how they prepared for interviews and any tips they wish they had known. By 'tips' I mean more advice, like what they wish they had been told before (obviously not getting too specific as it would be a breach of the agreement which I'm sure they are aware of) :smile:
Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes I totally understand what you are saying and have heard about that. I was just asking in general like how they prepared for interviews and any tips they wish they had known. By 'tips' I mean more advice, like what they wish they had been told before (obviously not getting too specific as it would be a breach of the agreement which I'm sure they are aware of) :smile:

Oh I see, in that case just read through this thread - a generic interview prep thread.

Feel free to ask us questions... some people here may even be interviewing for Leicester :smile:

Yes I just saw this thread and it looks great! Thanks for your help :smile:
One question I did have though is how should I prepare for interviews? Like what resources should I be using, when should I start preparing, and how should I prepare? Thanks in advance :smile:
One question I did have though is how should I prepare for interviews? Like what resources should I be using, when should I start preparing, and how should I prepare? Thanks in advance :smile:

Depends on the format.

If it's MMI then I would look at the med school's website to see what are the stations (e.g. group task? mini-panel-interview? creative station? etc.) and prepare that way.

For some med schools they may even provide you with the questions beforehand (e.g. Sheffield, but their interviews are long ago).

And once you know what kind of stations are involved in the interview, I would go on sites like Medic Portal and start preparing for questions and answers.

There are stuff that you must absolutely prepare, like "Why Leicester", "Why Medicine".

There may be common personal questions like "How do you deal with stress", "Tell us a time when you dealt with uncertainty"; etc. I would also prepare ethics, NHS and general healthcare questions. Read around the subjects using BBC Health, Guardian, The Times etc.

Find someone to "grill" you - if you don't know them (e.g. a school teacher that doesn't teach any of your subjects) then it's even better. If not, talk to a mirror to get your confidence up.

Hey!

There's a lot of info on the Leicester website, enough to show you the broader areas they're going to ask
https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/applying/interviews

Remember that Leicester offer 850 places for around 1000 interviews, so they really are looking for 'solid' performances rather than exceptional. That means you should be looking to cover the commonplace MMI questions in a convincing manner, not reinventing the wheel.

Any medical school interview is (roughly) built around finding the values included in this MSC release:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2542/statement-on-core-values-to-study-medicine.pdf

Examples of common MMI questions can be found in any of the following:
https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/medical-school-interview/medicine-interview-questions/mmi-interview-questions/ (good for lengthy role play questions)
https://www.blackstonetutors.co.uk/300-medical-school-interview-questions.html (exhaustive list of any question that could be asked at interview)
https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/careers-in-surgery/careers-support/applying-to-medical-school/interview-questions/ (good list of the biggest questions from RCS)

There's also the general interview thread on this site that someone else mentioned. I hope that helps a bit!
This is again in part to the earlier scenario I had posted.

Context: rebekkah was resuscitated

Rebekkah regains spontaneous circulation after the hypoxic arrest on transfer from the ward. She is sedated, intubated and ventilated, and, eight weeks later has had several unsuccessful attempts at extubation on ICU. Her lungs are irretrievably damaged by COVID-19 pneumonitis she will likely never be able to be weaned from the ventilator. There is great pressure on ICU beds as a result of the pandemic.

How would the clinical team decide, from an ethical and legal perspective, whether they should continue or withdraw life-sustaining treatments?

@Helenia Aside from the usual beneficence vs non maleficence spiel, are there any particular guidelines as such that one should be consulting?
does anyone have any advice on how to start to prepare for the interview? - i hope this doesn't go against guidelines.. just in general!!
Original post by Djohnston123
does anyone have any advice on how to start to prepare for the interview? - i hope this doesn't go against guidelines.. just in general!!

Have you read through this thread? Specifically created for interview prep, discussion and queries.

When do you have your interview? I thought most med schools have finished interviewing already.

Latest

Trending

Trending