The Student Room Group

A-Level Sampling

Seems like a silly question but why can’t stratified sampling be used? It is because it’s random? Would we need to use quota sampling?
Reply 1
A0317116-B60E-4F4B-BA8F-F91E43BA7A45.jpeg
hmm im not sure tbh. do you have the mark scheme?

Original post by satsun
A0317116-B60E-4F4B-BA8F-F91E43BA7A45.jpeg
Reply 3
Original post by tej3141
hmm im not sure tbh. do you have the mark scheme?

No this is part of Edexcel’s assessment materials, so any advice would be much appreciated!
Don’t know if this is right but you wouldn’t use stratified random because the population is too large therefore it would be an impractical method. Instead maybe use systematic sampling at regular intervals. Hope that helps! 🙂
(edited 2 years ago)
Also, if you need any more help let me know...
Original post by Eclipse07
Don’t know if this is right but you wouldn’t use stratified random because the population is too large therefore it would be an impractical method. Instead maybe use systematic sampling at regular intervals. Hope that helps! 🙂

I ovelooked the work random. this may be the correct answer though im not entirely sure
Original post by Eclipse07

Not my area, but I think the main issue isn't the size of the population, but the practical impossibility of separating the population into strata to sample from.
Reply 8
Sorry I can’t help with the question... Are these resources available on their website? :-)
Original post by DFranklin
Not my area, but I think the main issue isn't the size of the population, but the practical impossibility of separating the population into strata to sample from.

how is it practically impossible? because its hard to catch the exact amount of each fish?
Original post by tej3141
how is it practically impossible? because its hard to catch the exact amount of each fish?

Wikipedia: Stratified sampling is not useful when the population cannot be exhaustively partitioned into disjoint subgroups

Good luck exhaustively partitioning the fish in a lake...

Quick Reply

Latest