The Student Room Group

A level psychology help

When evaluating a study and looking at the sample, does it fit more with generalizability, internal validity, or external validity?

I thought it might be internal because a varied sample size keeps things fair, but then external makes sense too, because it's about whether the study's findings can apply to people than the original sample.
There's also generalisability - but I was told that a varied sample doesn't always mean high generalisability (I'm not sure why that is though)

Could anyone please help?
Reply 1
Original post by srb_16
When evaluating a study and looking at the sample, does it fit more with generalizability, internal validity, or external validity?

I thought it might be internal because a varied sample size keeps things fair, but then external makes sense too, because it's about whether the study's findings can apply to people than the original sample.
There's also generalisability - but I was told that a varied sample doesn't always mean high generalisability (I'm not sure why that is though)

Could anyone please help?

when looking at a sample of a study, wether or not it applies to one of the 3 i would say depends on the study and what exactly the sample is decides wether you can argue if its internally valid, externally valid or generalisable.

like if the sample is androcentric or ethnocentric then it cant be generalised to the whole population as the sample isnt representative of the whole population as it only represents a certain demographic. etc

I could be wrong but this is what i go by and what makes sense to me so anyone feel free to let me know if im wrong
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest