The Student Room Group

St Andrews - Maths Modules

I've just switched to a maths degree but I don't know what modules to do in 2nd year. I don't know how many maths modules to do either. I did both MT1002 and MT1003 in first year and have looked at some of the second year past papers so have seen where some of the MT1003 content comes up in.

I found parts of MT1003 really difficult, however, I am unsure if this was down to the lecturer (I found him really difficult to understand) or the fact I was learning from home and found it really difficult to motivate myself.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

To save you having to look up the 2nd year maths modules, here they are:

- Linear Mathematics (Compulsary)
- Analysis
- Multivariate Calculus
- Combinatorics and Probability
- Abstract Algebra
- Vector Calculus
- Mathematical Modelling
- Statistical Inference

I have to take at least 4 maths modules, including the compulsory Linear Mathematics.
Reply 1
1. Linear Mathematics
2. Analysis
3. Multivariate Calculus
4. Combinatorics + Probability
5. Abstract Algebra
6. Vector Calculus

You really need these six module at the very least o have a wide range of electives in future uears to choose from so sorry if you were looking to do just four.

If you like mathematical modelling and statistical inference then take them as well but the six that I have given you are an absolute must.
Original post by Luwei
1. Linear Mathematics
2. Analysis
3. Multivariate Calculus
4. Combinatorics + Probability
5. Abstract Algebra
6. Vector Calculus

You really need these six module at the very least o have a wide range of electives in future uears to choose from so sorry if you were looking to do just four.

If you like mathematical modelling and statistical inference then take them as well but the six that I have given you are an absolute must.

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted! I was confused about which modules were more important in future years and it's not exactly easy to go through every single 3rd and 4th-year module to check all the required modules.

Would it be an issue to take all 8 modules? It says on the St Andrews website to try to keep our degree options open for as long as possible (so try to take required modules in 2nd year) but I am certain I want to take maths into honours.
Reply 3
Original post by Uni_Student321
Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted! I was confused about which modules were more important in future years and it's not exactly easy to go through every single 3rd and 4th-year module to check all the required modules.

Would it be an issue to take all 8 modules? It says on the St Andrews website to try to keep our degree options open for as long as possible (so try to take required modules in 2nd year) but I am certain I want to take maths into honours.

If you want to take all of them why not? I just listed the six that you should absolutely take but no harm to take all eight.
Original post by Luwei
If you want to take all of them why not? I just listed the six that you should absolutely take but no harm to take all eight.

Just out of interest, what is the order of difficulty of these modules? Obviously this is entirely subjective but there are normally topics that most people find harder than others.
Reply 5
No offence but I do not actually study there so cannot comment on that; I am just someone who knows a little bit more maths than the average layman😂
Original post by Uni_Student321
Just out of interest, what is the order of difficulty of these modules? Obviously this is entirely subjective but there are normally topics that most people find harder than others.

Generally abstract algebra, analysis, and maybe "linear mathematics" (assuming this is linear algebra) will probably be proof based and so it will depend on your strengths in those areas, and may be conceptually more difficult to grasp (although if you do "get it" often you can rattle off the bookwork proofs pretty quickly and easily and get potentially a lot of marks for low effort in an exam depending on how the questions are written). On the other hand multivariable/vector calculus will be maths methods-y and continue the style of maths from A-level (and directly build on the calculus topics you did there/in first year), so conceptually should be straightforward but might have some tricky computations potentially.

The combinatorics/probability module is hard to say as it could go either way. I never did combinatorics "proper", but I gather it's pretty hard stuff even for "pure" focused mathmos. There are however some more general topics in discrete mathematics/graph theory that could be referred to it as well which are a bit less "hardcore" as I understand it. Probability could range from fairly straightforward computational stuff building on A-level to some more abstract content relating it to analysis. Kind of hard to say what you might expect from that one without more info about the course content. Since it's a second year module in the Scottish system I'd be inclined to believe it will probably be the more straightforward probability stuff and introduction to discrete mathematics type topics, than really formal abstract material.

Quick Reply

Latest