The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Transfer to St andrews

Hello,
I hope you are well.
I am writing this post to ask if any of you have transferred to st andrews to enter un second year ? If so what were your grades. What do you think made the difference in your application to get in. What grade would I need to get to get in?
I am currently in my 1st year at the University of Edinburgh in Economics and History and would like to study Economics and International Relations at St andrews.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
I hope you are well.
I am writing this post to ask if any of you have transferred to st andrews to enter un second year ? If so what were your grades. What do you think made the difference in your application to get in. What grade would I need to get to get in?
I am currently in my 1st year at the University of Edinburgh in Economics and History and would like to study Economics and International Relations at St andrews.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

St Andrews have a good info page about transfers. This is quite a bit more than most unis will publish:

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/apply/ug/transfer/

Key section:

"As we receive many applications from well-qualified students, the number of places available to transfer students is limited and entry is competitive. Transfer students will usually need to have exceptional academic records and a valid reason for wishing to transfer their studies to the University of St Andrews.

If you wish to transfer to the University, you must already hold the minimum grades and any subject-specific prerequisites for the courses that you are interested in transferring to. For UK qualifications, these can be found on all course pages and at the back of the Undergraduate Prospectus. All other students can find the international entry requirements on the entry requirements page."
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
St Andrews have a good info page about transfers. This is quite a bit more than most unis will publish:

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/apply/ug/transfer/

Key section:

"As we receive many applications from well-qualified students, the number of places available to transfer students is limited and entry is competitive. Transfer students will usually need to have exceptional academic records and a valid reason for wishing to transfer their studies to the University of St Andrews.

If you wish to transfer to the University, you must already hold the minimum grades and any subject-specific prerequisites for the courses that you are interested in transferring to. For UK qualifications, these can be found on all course pages and at the back of the Undergraduate Prospectus. All other students can find the international entry requirements on the entry requirements page."

Thank you for your answer. I've actually looked at this page but I can't find if st andrews asks in addition to this for minimum grades to be achieved in my first year of undergraduate.
thanks in advance for your help
Thank you for your answer. I've actually looked at this page but I can't find if st andrews asks in addition to this for minimum grades to be achieved in my first year of undergraduate.
thanks in advance for your help

Yeah, they don't say anything specifically about year 1 grades, although they ask for an interim transcript and explanation of any non-standard grading systems. I suspect they consider them on a case by case basis to give them leeway to reject people if they are looking a bit wobbly.

You can always drop them an email to see if they will suggest what they're looking for, [email protected].
Hi,

I transferred this year to St Andrews.

I got AAABB in my Scottish highers, so I had the minimum entry requirements for my course. They didn’t specify what grades I needed to obtain in first year, I just sent a transcript of my grades after semester 1 as well as a copy of my module choices and their descriptions.

Most unis typically need 60% across the year or atleast all Bs in modules overall for you to transfer.

Other than that, I just did my ucas application as normal. I did Sutton trust at St Andrews so I wrote about that as well as my genuine interest in the subject :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by asdfnostalgia
Hi,

I transferred this year to St Andrews.

I got AAABB in my Scottish highers, so I had the minimum entry requirements for my course. They didn’t specify what grades I needed to obtain in first year, I just sent a transcript of my grades after semester 1 as well as a copy of my module choices and their descriptions.

Most unis typically need 60% across the year or atleast all Bs in modules overall for you to transfer.

Other than that, I just did my ucas application as normal. I did Sutton trust at St Andrews so I wrote about that as well as my genuine interest in the subject :smile:

How soon did you decide to transfer and any tips? I have made a mistake about my course choice and original university. I have already changed subjects at my first uni (St Andrews didn't offer my first course so couldn't apply then) but I absolutely hate the place. I think St Andrews would suit me because of its size and location (I'm in a big city and can't stand it).
Original post by Mumtofour
How soon did you decide to transfer and any tips? I have made a mistake about my course choice and original university. I have already changed subjects at my first uni (St Andrews didn't offer my first course so couldn't apply then) but I absolutely hate the place. I think St Andrews would suit me because of its size and location (I'm in a big city and can't stand it).

Around this time, last year I decided to transfer and applied to UCAS, however I didn’t receive a response until April.

My biggest tip is - if you decided to complete first year at your current university, you should work really hard. I had a really hard time at my last uni for a combination of reasons but by working hard, I was able to gain my place at St Andrews. However, if you really don’t think you can cope with first year at Edinburgh, I would suggest dropping out before December as that’s when SAAS pays for the year of tuition.

It might be good to have your UCAS reference explain why you’re transferring to a different university. To my knowledge, most universities in Scotland, consider people who drop out in first year to have had a ‘false start’ so I’m pretty you will be considered the same as an S5/S6 pupil who is applying to university for the first time.

Make your interest in economics and IR really clear but also speak about super curriculars and extracurriculars you have done :smile:
Reply 7
Hello,
Thank you si much for you answer and sorry for late reply.
So when you applied you used UCAS and not the direct application of st andrews ? Can I ask you what program you were doing at your previous university and what grade you got there in the first semester when you sent your grades to st andrews ? Did you join the same program that you were previously doing ?
Sorry for all these questions, it's just that I'd really love to join this university.
Have a nice day!
Hello,
Thank you si much for you answer and sorry for late reply.
So when you applied you used UCAS and not the direct application of st andrews ? Can I ask you what program you were doing at your previous university and what grade you got there in the first semester when you sent your grades to st andrews ? Did you join the same program that you were previously doing ?
Sorry for all these questions, it's just that I'd really love to join this university.
Have a nice day!

Don’t say sorry, I don’t mind answering :smile:

Yes, I did the same program! I was studying Biology at my previous university. First semester, I think I had an A, 2Bs and a D so had an average of around 60%? I think you could probably do a different one as long as you’ve studied the relevant content to the program you want to apply for. (If you’ve not studied relevant content I’d suggest applying into first year instead of second) I applied through UCAS - it doesn’t change for transfer students.

Good luck with your application, and let me know if there’s anything else you want to ask :-)
Reply 9
Original post by asdfnostalgia
Don’t say sorry, I don’t mind answering :smile:

Yes, I did the same program! I was studying Biology at my previous university. First semester, I think I had an A, 2Bs and a D so had an average of around 60%? I think you could probably do a different one as long as you’ve studied the relevant content to the program you want to apply for. (If you’ve not studied relevant content I’d suggest applying into first year instead of second) I applied through UCAS - it doesn’t change for transfer students.

Good luck with your application, and let me know if there’s anything else you want to ask :-)

Thank you again for your answer.
I have one last question. When you sent your UCAS application, did the university ask you for your 1st semester results or did you send them yourself ? And did you send them by e-mail or on UCAS?
Thanks again
Best
Thank you again for your answer.
I have one last question. When you sent your UCAS application, did the university ask you for your 1st semester results or did you send them yourself ? And did you send them by e-mail or on UCAS?
Thanks again
Best

Hello!

I sent them myself, however it’s the university who usually requests it.

I found it quite hard to put my individual modules into UCAS so I contacted the university and they said it was fine to send them directly through email. I would defos call or email admissions to double check :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending