The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Advice on third subject choice?

Let me preface this by acknowledging I may be thinking too far ahead, as i haven't 100% committed to St. Andrews yet. However, I've fallen in love with the flexible curriculum.

I've received an offer for Statistics and Philosophy. Since I want to go the Statistician, Data Scientist, or Actuary route, I was thinking of taking something like Economics or Computer Science in my first year to supplement that. I am currently taking Highet Level CS, though I do regret not taking Economics and wonder if it'll be too hard for me to catch up.

Are those good choices, or are there any other subjects I should consider?:confused:

Thanks!
(edited 1 month ago)
Hiya, I think if you wanna go down the statistics route that these are good choices! It just depends what you’re interested in that you think that you get the most benefit from and you won’t struggle with because the worst thing is feeling overwhelmed, and struggling with the topics. I’m wishing you all the best of luck.☺️
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by amogsussy
Let me preface this by acknowledging I may be thinking too far ahead, as i haven't 100% committed to St. Andrews yet. However, I've fallen in love with the flexible curriculum.

I've received an offer for Statistics and Philosophy. Since I want to go the Statistician, Data Scientist, or Actuary route, I was thinking of taking something like Economics or Computer Science in my first year to supplement that. I am currently taking Highet Level CS, though I do regret not taking Economics and wonder if it'll be too hard for me to catch up.

Are those good choices, or are there any other subjects I should consider?:confused:

Thanks!
A lot of people taking economics at uni haven't studied it before. I see St Andrews say that no prior experience is necessary but advanced school maths is an advantage. The same advice is given for CS. So you should be fine with one or other of those. I don't know enough about the careers you mention to advise on which subjects would be best!

If you've applied for Statistics and Philosophy then you'll have applied for the MA? You might find that it is easier to study Economics alongside these. You might find there are timetabling issues if you try to study another science module alongside philosophy. But I don't have any direct experience of this.

Do check out the programme requirements (they look more complicated than most St Andrews courses!!):
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/reqs/2023-24/UAHFPHIJSTA.html?1709280627657#hide_row

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending