The Student Room Group

Dealing with medicine rejections

So I’m in a weird situation where I need to take my UCAT test soon... again because I didn’t meet all 4 of my medicine applications for 2021. I’ll probably start preparing for it in July.

I’ve kind of accepted I didn’t get in for this year and I’m looking to resit some of my GCSE’s during my gap year.. but I just can’t find a way to let my mum know about this..

I’m scared of what she will say. I had an interview in which I got rejected on and whenever she asks about it, I always say I hadn’t heard back because I’m scared of what she’ll think

Can I get advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m in a weird situation where I need to take my UCAT test soon... again because I didn’t meet all 4 of my medicine applications for 2021. I’ll probably start preparing for it in July.

I’ve kind of accepted I didn’t get in for this year and I’m looking to resit some of my GCSE’s during my gap year.. but I just can’t find a way to let my mum know about this..

I’m scared of what she will say. I had an interview in which I got rejected on and whenever she asks about it, I always say I hadn’t heard back because I’m scared of what she’ll think

Can I get advice?

What was the interview for?
Reply 2
Original post by Kerzen
What was the interview for?

Medicine interview

Can I get advice?

What schools did you apply to?
Reply 4

Can I get advice?

Be open and honest with her about your rejection. She will know in September when you don’t go to university, so it’s not worth hiding it for that long! Your mum will want to support you in your decision and it’s much better to have support!

All the best for your UCAT! And apply smart :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Rosessta3rs7

They weren’t high in rankings
Reply 6
Original post by Anon???
Be open and honest with her about your rejection. She will know in September when you don’t go to university, so it’s not worth hiding it for that long! Your mum will want to support you in your decision and it’s much better to have support!

All the best for your UCAT! And apply smart :smile:

That’s true but idk how to tell her
They weren’t high in rankings

Rankings shouldn’t really influence where you apply! You should be looking at how they decide who gets interviews etc and work from there!
Reply 8
Original post by Rosessta3rs7

Leicester, Manchester, Plymouth, Southampton
Reply 9
That’s true but idk how to tell her

What kind of relationship do you have? Maybe sit her down and tell her that you have something to say and work from there. Then let her know what your plan is and that you are working as hard as you can to achieve your aim :smile:
Leicester, Manchester, Plymouth, Southampton

Did you get rejected before or after interview?
Original post by Anon???
What kind of relationship do you have? Maybe sit her down and tell her that you have something to say and work from there. Then let her know what your plan is and that you are working as hard as you can to achieve your aim :smile:

Not so close tbh
Original post by Anon???
Did you get rejected before or after interview?

3 before, 1 after. So sad
3 before, 1 after. So sad

I am sorry to hear about you rejections, but don’t let it get you down! Use it as motivation to succeed next time! Medicine is a competitive course so you shouldn’t be disheartened. You did well to secure an interview!

Did you ask the 1 after for feedback? And make sure you try and apply smart to secure interviews from most unis - there is a great thread on here that would give advice for where to apply once you have all your stats :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Not so close tbh

Okay - maybe next time she asks, you tell her that you found out about being rejected. So tell her when she brings it up? But I think personally it would be better to get it done sooner than results day
Don't feel bad about not getting an offer - medicine is really competitive and many people don't even get an interview. Is there anyone else in your family that you could speak to who could tell your mum or could be with you for emotional support when you speak to her? You are going to have to tell her at some point.
Original post by Anon???
Okay - maybe next time she asks, you tell her that you found out about being rejected. So tell her when she brings it up? But I think personally it would be better to get it done sooner than results day

Yeah I was thinking about this. So I’ll probably say “nah I didn’t get accepted” but I’m scared of what she’ll say afterwards
Original post by black tea
Don't feel bad about not getting an offer - medicine is really competitive and many people don't even get an interview. Is there anyone else in your family that you could speak to who could tell your mum or could be with you for emotional support when you speak to her? You are going to have to tell her at some point.

No body. Although I wish I told my sister when my mum was away for 3 weeks. I was scared to tell my sister also for some reason. We come from quite an academic family so this is really hard for me :frown:
Original post by Anon???
I am sorry to hear about you rejections, but don’t let it get you down! Use it as motivation to succeed next time! Medicine is a competitive course so you shouldn’t be disheartened. You did well to secure an interview!

Did you ask the 1 after for feedback? And make sure you try and apply smart to secure interviews from most unis - there is a great thread on here that would give advice for where to apply once you have all your stats :smile:

Uhh. They said if space is available in clearing then they’ll contact but idk

Can I get advice?

You need to be honest with your mum. The more you overthink it, the more daunting it will become. Just sit her down and explain that despite trying your best you didn't get an offer. There is no shame in this; getting into medicine is very competitive and most applicants don't get an offer in any given application cycle.

Taking a gap year and re-applying sounds like a sensible plan, hopefully you'll get an offer next year. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending