The Student Room Group

UCL vs Southampton

I feel like this situation might appear stupid or like it has a straightforward answer, but I'm genuinely lost. I was a Business student at A-Level and planned to study business analytics. I took a gap year to take A-Level Maths because I realised that it would be important for some parts of the course and started the basics of programming since I knew that programming was used to work with large amounts of data, which is again a part of that kind of course. I applied to Business Analytics at Southampton, and Information Management for Business at UCL and got offers from both. However, during this time learning maths and programming, I really grew a LOVE for electronic engineering, computer science, mathematics and all things related. The more research I did, the more a realised just how well a computer science degree would fit me and how much I'd love it (whereas business was more of a.... salary-based interest?). I ended up contacting Southampton and asking to change my offer to computer science and they were so helpful and did just that for me. UCL on the other hand, wasn't so willing and refused after the first email. I know that Southampton has quite a good reputation for Electronic Engineering and Computer Science (from what I've heard) but despite being a business course, it's hard to let go of UCL when it is such a huge deal for me to get an offer from them personally, since I never thought I'd be good enough for them and applied as an extra "what if". I like Southampton and I really found a passion for Computer Science and everything that comes with it (though I do fear that my maths won't be good enough since I learned A-Level maths so quickly), but the prestige that comes with UCL and the future that I could potentially get from going there and doing that course, even though it's not really where my passion is, seems like something that I would have to be stupid to just throw away. I know all of this may seem stupid, but it stops me from sleeping thinking about this decision. Will I regret turning down UCL to study Computer Science at Southampton where my passion is? Would my future prospects look considerably worse? I'd just love to hear some opinion on this since I'm completely lost myself.
No, no difference.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
No, no difference.

You think my prospects would be the same at both?
Original post by Kml02
You think my prospects would be the same at both?

Yes. Ask employers if you are really concerned.
Reply 4
Yes. Ask employers if you are really concerned.

Thanks, that's good to hear. So do you think you would choose Computer Science if you were in my place?
Original post by Kml02
Thanks, that's good to hear. So do you think you would choose Computer Science if you were in my place?

Couldn't answer that, I'm not you. I myself wouldn't study it, I'm into social sciences. If you are truly interested in it, convinced you can make a career out of it, then do it.
Reply 6
Couldn't answer that, I'm not you. I myself wouldn't study it, I'm into social sciences. If you are truly interested in it, convinced you can make a career out of it, then do it.

Yeah that's true. I feel a little better that my future won't come crashing down just because I don't take the UCL brand on if I decide to go with Southampton haha
I went to UCL and I think it’s a great university.

But if you want to read CS, and they’re not offering it - then you kind of have to go to Southampton, which is a throughly creditable university. If you want to be an engineer then there’s no point reading business.
Reply 8
That's fair... It's good to hear that Southampton has a good rep too, and I'd love to go into Computer Science Engineering in the future if it's realistic and something that's actually attainable. I guess my worry is that I won't get into that kind of career and end up bailing out into business and thinking "should've got UCL on my CV when I had the chance" if that makes sense. I know I probably sound a bit dumb saying that but we all know life doesn't always turn out how you want it to... you know what I mean? I wish I knew people who actually worked in those fields so I could find out more but unfortunately my family members are all on the business side of things haha
Reply 9
Also, for Soton I have to do a foundation year first... I'm really worried about computer science being a dying or oversaturated field as soon as I start, because I would just feel sick with regret if UCL business could've changed my life for the better and I just turned it away for nothing...
ucl
Reply 11
Original post by taxonomy.
ucl

Why?
Original post by Kml02
Why?

it looks better
Original post by Kml02
Will I regret turning down UCL to study Computer Science at Southampton where my passion is?
Would my future prospects look considerably worse?

It wont make ANY difference to your career prospects as Southampton is an equally 'top' STEM Uni as UCL.
If S'ton is the Uni where you really want to be, then go there - because being happy is half the fun of being at Uni, and 'happy' usually means 'good degree grades'.
Reply 14
it looks better

You mean in terms of prospects or the building? haha
Reply 15
Original post by McGinger
It wont make ANY difference to your career prospects as Southampton is an equally 'top' STEM Uni as UCL.
If S'ton is the Uni where you really want to be, then go there - because being happy is half the fun of being at Uni, and 'happy' usually means 'good degree grades'.

I really didn't know that Southampton was that well renowned for STEM degrees (I knew they were good but.... not anywhere near UCL) so that's really reassuring. And yeah happiness is important you're right... I just worry that I'll be unhappy due to regretting whichever one I don't choose in the end. I hope things improve because it's unbelievably stressful right now...
Original post by Kml02
You mean in terms of prospects or the building? haha

prospects and the buildings
Reply 17
prospects and the buildings

Ah haha Well I must admit I'm not too concerned with the appearance of the physical building and both seem nice I think~

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending