The Student Room Group

Politics

In Politics A Level, can you learn 2 ideologies instead of 3? Because 2 is definitely going to come up.
Hey! Are you doing Edexcel A-Level Politics? I did that, and I would say you can study all three of them because you don't know which one won't show up.
Reply 2
Original post by shivam_47395
Hey! Are you doing Edexcel A-Level Politics? I did that, and I would say you can study all three of them because you don't know which one won't show up.

Thanks, I am. Do you know any possible devolution questions that will come up? Im going to do a test on devolution but I need to complete essay plans first. Thanks
Yes sure.

Evaluate the view that devolution should be given to England (30 marks)

Evaluate the view that devolution has been a success (30 marks)

To what extent should devolution should take place in England (30 marks)

Original post by NI52
Thanks, I am. Do you know any possible devolution questions that will come up? Im going to do a test on devolution but I need to complete essay plans first. Thanks
Reply 4
Yes sure.

Thankssss, does this cover all the possible questions that may come up in the politics exam? For UK government?
Reply 5
Yes sure.

Also, is it ok if I ask what grade you got for politics A-Level? Thanks
Original post by NI52
Also, is it ok if I ask what grade you got for politics A-Level? Thanks

Yeah totally! I got a Grade B in Politics overall. However, in some essays, I have gained an A.

In one essay, I got 23/24.

Although, tbh, I wasn't very consistent because I was getting Ds/Es from the beginning. Then I started to enjoy the subject, which showed in my work as I built up many case studies and used many examples.

One piece of advice I will give you is to do essay questions constantly. I would do one a week, at least. For me, I wound up doing one or two essays a day in politics. Even though I did that, I realised I was taking time away from my other subjects, and they suffered a little bit. So the point is, revise Politics a lot, but not to the detriment of your other subjects.
Original post by NI52
Thankssss, does this cover all the possible questions that may come up in the politics exam? For UK government?

So that is paper 2.

Here are the essay questions that my teacher gave me to help with the subject.

Constitution

1. Do constitutional reforms in the UK since 1997 require further change?

2. Should Britain have a codified constitution including a bill of rights?

3. Evaluate the argument that there are more advantages to having a codified constitution than
remaining with an uncodified constitution.

4. Evaluate the view that the logical next step after devolution
to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is the devolution of further power to
England. (Sample materials)

5. Using the source, evaluate the view that Constitutional reforms in the UK since 1997 have been
weak, incomplete and require further change (Sample materials)

6. Evaluate the claim that the concept of parliamentary sovereignty no longer exists

Parliament
1. Does Parliament carry out its functions effectively?
2. Is Parliament sufficiently representative?
3. To what extent is parliament an effective legislature?
4. To what extent are the select committees the most effective form of scrutiny of the executive?
5. To what extent are backbenchers the most effective form of scrutiny of the executive?
6. To what extent is the opposition the most effective form of scrutiny of the executive?
7. Evaluate the view that Prime Ministers Questions should be abolished and replaced by other
forms of parliamentary scrutiny of the executive.
8. To what extent is Parliament an effective legislature?
9. To what extent is the House of Lords effective at the scrutiny of the executive?
10. Is the House of Lords becoming more dominant?

Prime minister and the executive
1. To what extent is a minister’s potential ability the most critical factor in determining whether
a PM will appoint them?
2. To what extent is the Cabinet government no longer critical?
3. To what extent is the PM now presidential?
4. To what extent are the wider political and economic events the most important factor in
determining a successful PM?
5. To what extent is the PM’s ability to set the agenda the most essential factor in determining a
successful PM?
6. To what extent is the PM’s popularity the most important factor in determining a successful
PM?
7. To what extent is, has the concept of individual responsibility been eroded?
8. To what extent is, has the concept of collective ministerial responsibility been eroded?
9. Evaluate the view that the conventions of ministerial responsibility no longer adequately
account for the actions of ministers.

Relations between the branches
1. To what extent does Parliament retain sole sovereignty within the UK political system?
2. To what extent has a membership of the EU eroded the sovereignty of the UK parliament?
3. To what extent is the executive in the UK sovereign?
4. To what extent has the UK government’s control over Parliament reduced in recent years?
5. To what extent is the influence exercised by the Supreme Court too excessive?
6. Evaluate the view that judges should not exercise control over the power of government
7. To what extent is the Supreme Court independent and neutral?
8. To what extent has parliament lost sovereignty due to the UK’s membership in the EU?
Original post by NI52

Also, does your school use Prechewed Politics? Because if they do, I recommend that you use it a lot because it will give you real-world examples which are updated to fit the current times. The examiners LOVE examples that reflect the current, forever-changing world around us instead of the stock, recycled examples seen in the textbooks, which can be factually dated if there have been new developments, such as the Brexit saga. They also have good Ideology videos. Although, these are the ideologies you use in Paper One.

What ideology are you studying for Paper 2?
Reply 9
Also, does your school use Prechewed Politics? Because if they do, I recommend that you use it a lot because it will give you real-world examples which are updated to fit the current times. The examiners LOVE examples that reflect the current, forever-changing world around us instead of the stock, recycled examples seen in the textbooks, which can be factually dated if there have been new developments, such as the Brexit saga. They also have good Ideology videos. Although, these are the ideologies you use in Paper One.

What ideology are you studying for Paper 2?

THANK U SO MUCH, im doing multiculturalism for paper 2. My school doesn't use Prechewd politics, but ill check that out. Thank you.
Reply 10
Yeah totally! I got a Grade B in Politics overall. However, in some essays, I have gained an A.

In one essay, I got 23/24.

Although, tbh, I wasn't very consistent because I was getting Ds/Es from the beginning. Then I started to enjoy the subject, which showed in my work as I built up many case studies and used many examples.

One piece of advice I will give you is to do essay questions constantly. I would do one a week, at least. For me, I wound up doing one or two essays a day in politics. Even though I did that, I realised I was taking time away from my other subjects, and they suffered a little bit. So the point is, revise Politics a lot, but not to the detriment of your other subjects.

That is my goal, a B . I, also need to get better grades. Not D/Es
Original post by NI52
THANK U SO MUCH, im doing multiculturalism for paper 2. My school doesn't use Prechewd politics, but ill check that out. Thank you.

Should've said this before, it is a paid subscription service, I think it is for schools. I am not sure about personal subscriptions though.
Reply 12
Should've said this before, it is a paid subscription service, I think it is for schools. I am not sure about personal subscriptions though.

lol, yeah i checked it out. TOO much money lol

Quick Reply

Latest