The Student Room Group

is it bad to expose political views to students at school?

id like to hear peoples views on political views being shared from teachers and assemblies at school and what impact it creates... does it create bias? or is it good to educate children? but what if that political view is politically incorrect and created a challenge for the child to comprehend what they agree on?
Original post by user1298371
id like to hear peoples views on political views being shared from teachers and assemblies at school and what impact it creates... does it create bias? or is it good to educate children? but what if that political view is politically incorrect and created a challenge for the child to comprehend what they agree on?

If you can't teach something without exposing your political views, then they're probably not a very good teacher. Assuming you're meaning genuinely political views and not just general moral viewpoints then I can't see how political views really come into the teaching of most subjects.

When doing politics A-level years and years ago, my teacher only revealed his political views in our very last lesson before exams. I think that's the best way to do it. If a teacher is going to talk about this sort of stuff then it's much better that they present both sides of an argument fairly and let the students debate which argument is more convincing, rather than imposing their beliefs on the students.
It depends on the age of the students and the context, as well as how it's done. A teacher can reveal their own views in a heterodox way that makes it clear that other, legitimate views exist, or they can teach political ideologies as fact or be actively critical of opposing views. The former, among older pupils, seems reasonable to me. The latter has no place in the education system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending