The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Groceries in Durham University

Hello,

I'm starting at Butler college, Durham, in a few days, and I was wondering where the easiest place to shop was. I was thinking Lidl, because that's my strong preference when I'm at home, but I'm not sure if the two buses would be worth it, especially if they're costly. I suppose I could go after lectures in the centre and then it would only be one bus there and two buses back, but I'm not sure how doable that would be. I do have a Clubcard with Tesco but it's still considerably more expensive and doesn't have that same level of comfort (again, I love a Lidl so much. It's kind of become my brand among my friends).

Thoughts and guidance appreciated :smile:
I'm next door at Stevo and also a Lidl fan! I think there's a Poundland near my boyfriend's accommodation I might look into, but maybe we could carpool if we find someone else who likes Lidl and drives? Or get an Uber and split the fare, depending on what the cost would be.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ashtolga23
I'm next door at Stevo and also a Lidl fan! I think there's a Poundland near my boyfriend's accommodation I might look into, but maybe we could carpool if we find someone else who likes Lidl and drives? Or get an Uber and split the fare, depending on what the cost would be.

oh wow hi! I think I recognise you from the English chat? (sorry if I'm wrong oops)

But yeah I hadn't thought about that! I hadn't even considered that I might make some friends wow but maybe yeah? it'd be easier to do it with an Uber or something especially if we split, I don't know how much more expensive it'd be but it'd be so much more convenient? And I've heard of the Poundland near the Bailey, only thing is sometimes it works out more expensive (there are so many things in there that would be about 60p in Lidl aha)

Have people in your chat been talking about it? I know a lot of Hill people get Tesco delivery but it seems so expensive and I am but a simple broke student

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
oh wow hi! I think I recognise you from the English chat? (sorry if I'm wrong oops)

But yeah I hadn't thought about that! I hadn't even considered that I might make some friends wow but maybe yeah? it'd be easier to do it with an Uber or something especially if we split, I don't know how much more expensive it'd be but it'd be so much more convenient? And I've heard of the Poundland near the Bailey, only thing is sometimes it works out more expensive (there are so many things in there that would be about 60p in Lidl aha)

Have people in your chat been talking about it? I know a lot of Hill people get Tesco delivery but it seems so expensive and I am but a simple broke student

Thank you :smile:

Oh wow yeah, I am in there haha! Sorry I can't tell who you are but I'm sure you're lovely if you're one of the hotties lol.

Fingers crossed that we can get a Lidl team together, maybe we should start a Lidl Shoppers Society 😂

They have been, and like you say the main thing mentioned was a Tesco delivery. I do love Lidl though and have the Plus app which is helpful, and I'd like to take the opportunity to shop around. If I went to Tesco it would probably be at night to find the reduced offers lmao.

No problem!
(edited 2 years ago)
You can travel around County Durham fairly cheap as a student - usually for only a couple of quid. The Tesco in the centre of town is expensive, but the big Tesco in Gilesgate is a good option - as is Lidl.
Reply 5
Original post by ashtolga23
Oh wow yeah, I am in there haha! Sorry I can't tell who you are but I'm sure you're lovely if you're one of the hotties lol.

Fingers crossed that we can get a Lidl team together, maybe we should start a Lidl Shoppers Society 😂

They have been, and like you say the main thing mentioned was a Tesco delivery. I do love Lidl though and have the Plus app which is helpful, and I'd like to take the opportunity to shop around. If I went to Tesco it would probably be at night to find the reduced offers lmao.

No problem!

Thank you! I get very self-conscious about posting on here so I always go anon wherever I can lol but you're lovely!

And we should! They do socks and things now like merch?

I mean I guess if everybody pools together for Tesco delivery it won't be so bad but it still seems like a less cost-effective way? I have the Plus app too it's amazing! And yeah me too, I do love a good reduced item- my heart will always belong to Lidl but I Tesco Reduced section is always fun :-)
You may be better off taking the no 6 bus (Arriva Sapphire) from outside Collingwood to Spennymoor (ie south of Durham). There's an Asda, Lidl and Aldi near the Charles St (Spennymoor) bus stop. It's only a 15 min bus ride and you wouldn't need to change buses. Students can get a £1 all-day ticket so you wouldn't pay more than that for a return trip. Worth checking if there's a stop further up the hill from Butler to get off at on the way back so you could avoid having to carry groceries up the hill.
Thank you! I get very self-conscious about posting on here so I always go anon wherever I can lol but you're lovely!

And we should! They do socks and things now like merch?

I mean I guess if everybody pools together for Tesco delivery it won't be so bad but it still seems like a less cost-effective way? I have the Plus app too it's amazing! And yeah me too, I do love a good reduced item- my heart will always belong to Lidl but I Tesco Reduced section is always fun :-)

I'm really glad haha!

That's actually brilliant. Lidl gang!

I was really looking forward to Lidl trips because I can only go when I'm at my boyfriend's, so hopefully we find a way. Amazing place.

You may be better off taking the no 6 bus (Arriva Sapphire) from outside Collingwood to Spennymoor (ie south of Durham). There's an Asda, Lidl and Aldi near the Charles St (Spennymoor) bus stop. It's only a 15 min bus ride and you wouldn't need to change buses. Students can get a £1 all-day ticket so you wouldn't pay more than that for a return trip. Worth checking if there's a stop further up the hill from Butler to get off at on the way back so you could avoid having to carry groceries up the hill.

Damn, genius!

Quick Reply

Latest