The Student Room Group

What level is GCE?

Would this be equivalent to an AS (year 12) or a whole a level
GCE is the old version of GCSEs - Level 2 - so not equivelant to A levels or even AS.
Original post by McGinger
GCE is the old version of GCSEs - Level 2 - so not equivelant to A levels or even AS.

Is it? Where my AS levels are listed, it says GCE, and they arent level 2 courses, they are level 3
Thats simply a nomenclature - its a 'code' used by Exam Boards meaning 'General Certificate in Edication at ADVANCED level' - it doesnrt mean Level 2 in this instance.
Reply 4
GCE - General certificate of Education - used to be available at Ordinary level (O levels) and Advanced level (A levels). O levels were replaced by GCSEs in the 1980s and since then GCE has been used to describe A levels and AS levels only. These are both Level 3 qualifications although of different sizes.
Original post by Squiggles1238
Is it? Where my AS levels are listed, it says GCE, and they arent level 2 courses, they are level 3

Yes, this is what I’m confused about
If I type ‘past papers gce biology’ A2 topics are included

Original post by EOData
GCE - General certificate of Education - used to be available at Ordinary level (O levels) and Advanced level (A levels). O levels were replaced by GCSEs in the 1980s and since then GCE has been used to describe A levels and AS levels only. These are both Level 3 qualifications although of different sizes.

Thanks, so if a university said it would be advisable to revise GCE biology would they mean AS level? It would be difficult to revise a whole alevel in the two weeks before university begins :lol: Especially if someone hasn’t taken that alevel subject
Original post by planktion34
Yes, this is what I’m confused about
If I type ‘past papers gce biology’ A2 topics are included

Thanks, so if a university said it would be advisable to revise GCE biology would they mean AS level? It would be difficult to revise a whole alevel in the two weeks before university begins :lol: Especially if someone hasn’t taken that alevel subject

So GCE means General Certificate of Education, which covers certain subjects that typically 17-18 year olds would sit, so to infer from that definition, i would say it is referencing both AS and A level courses. A university typically wouldn't reference to a course with 'GCE' but instead with the level of qualification, e.g., Level 2 or Level 3, or GCSE or AS level or A level
Original post by Squiggles1238
So GCE means General Certificate of Education, which covers certain subjects that typically 17-18 year olds would sit, so to infer from that definition, i would say it is referencing both AS and A level courses. A university typically wouldn't reference to a course with 'GCE' but instead with the level of qualification, e.g., Level 2 or Level 3, or GCSE or AS level or A level

Thanks :biggrin: I’ve completed my alevels but my university suggested revising GCE biology before we start so I was wondering in they meant AS or the whole alevel
I guess I can revise whatever I can before we start
Reply 8
Original post by planktion34

They would mean the full A level
Original post by EOData
They would mean the full A level

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest