The Student Room Group

maths a level

how hard is maths a level
Reply 1
like i know it's difficult because everyone says its hard but how hard, is 'hard'
i'm not naturally quick with maths but i found it manageable as long as you put the effort in. difficulty is relative though.
Original post by holyguac
how hard is maths a level

What grade was your GCSE? Are you confident with algebra?
like i know it's difficult because everyone says its hard but how hard, is 'hard'

Nobody can quantify how hard is it which’s ironic given the context and subject :wink:
But like somebody above said, ‘hard is relative’ and depends on the individual.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
What grade was your GCSE? Are you confident with algebra?

i got a grade 8 .
i enjoy maths bc i love the logical steps you have to go through and majority of the time your answer is either wrong or right .
however, it also takes me quite a while to grasp how to do something
Reply 6
Original post by 0ptics
Nobody can quantify how hard is it which’s ironic given the context and subject :wink:
But like somebody above said, ‘hard is relative’ and depends on the individual.

thats true, ty
i got a grade 8 .
i enjoy maths bc i love the logical steps you have to go through and majority of the time your answer is either wrong or right .
however, it also takes me quite a while to grasp how to do something

Are you prepared to put in the time to understand as you go along?
Reply 8
Are you prepared to put in the time to understand as you go along?

i mean, ig i'd like to think so. my dilemma is that i currently take four a levels and i need to drop one because otherwise my workload is too much; however, I'm not entirely sure which to drop.
i mean, ig i'd like to think so. my dilemma is that i currently take four a levels and i need to drop one because otherwise my workload is too much; however, I'm not entirely sure which to drop.

What degree are you thinking of? Do you need Maths ...

Which 4 are they? Do you see one of them as an outlier/different to the rest? Do you have a specific pathway in mind for the future? Judging from what you’ve had so far, which seems to be the hardest to you?
Reply 11
What degree are you thinking of? Do you need Maths ...

this is the problem i have - i don't know what i want to do in the future with my career. i either want to go into finance/econ/business or law or tv presenting ... extremely different i know haha. if i want to do econ (esp at a russel group uni) you need maths.
the subjects i have taken are maths, econ, literature and theatre. maths and econ are there for the business side of things (and i def don't want to drop econ bc i took it for gcse and i love it sm). literature is there for law and theatre was there for both tv presenting and law.

i'm trying so hard to think what's best to drop. i love them all and have a passion for them, (that's why i took them originally), but i know i'm going to struggle in the long run and i'd rather get an AAA than an AABB for example. also, uni's don't require you to take four so i don't see why i should do the extra work if i'm going to struggle w it - esp the time management.

people say 'do what you love' but the thing is i'm so interested in all four of the subjects i've taken.
any help or advice you have would be extremely useful :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by 0ptics
Which 4 are they? Do you see one of them as an outlier/different to the rest? Do you have a specific pathway in mind for the future? Judging from what you’ve had so far, which seems to be the hardest to you?

[I HAVE JUST COPIED AND PASTED THE COMMENT I POSTED ABOVE BC IT ANSWERS YOUR Q :smile:]

this is the problem i have - i don't know what i want to do in the future with my career. i either want to go into finance/econ/business or law or tv presenting ... extremely different i know haha. if i want to do econ (esp at a russel group uni) you need maths.

the subjects i have taken are maths, econ, literature and theatre. maths and econ are there for the business side of things (and i def don't want to drop econ bc i took it for gcse and i love it sm). literature is there for law and theatre was there for both tv presenting and law.

i'm trying so hard to think what's best to drop. i love them all and have a passion for them, (that's why i took them originally), but i know i'm going to struggle in the long run and i'd rather get an AAA than an AABB for example. also, uni's don't require you to take four so i don't see why i should do the extra work if i'm going to struggle w it - esp the time management.

people say 'do what you love' but the thing is i'm so interested in all four of the subjects i've taken.

any help or advice you have would be extremely useful :smile:
Reply 13
definetly drop theatre. ur other subjects will get you into any course you'd like to do and 3a*s is better than 4As

Quick Reply

Latest