The Student Room Group

NHS Trust limits access to chemotherapy for cancer patients

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Megacent
All this "you might catch it and end up in intensive care" talk. Although technically true, you are being rather dramatic. Do you tell people they could catch the flu and end up in intensive care as well? People have gone mental about a bloody virus, enough is enough, let's just get on with our lives ffs.

That's because I know fit and healthy young people who ended up in intensive care with covid. As it happens, I also know someone who ended up there with the the flu so yep, I always tell people to be careful and follow hygiene measures.

What's stopping you from getting on with your life? I've been getting on with mine for ages.
Reply 41
Original post by black tea
That's because I know fit and healthy young people who ended up in intensive care with covid. As it happens, I also know someone who ended up there with the the flu so yep, I always tell people to be careful and follow hygiene measures.

What's stopping you from getting on with your life? I've been getting on with mine for ages.

I don't have a problem with basic hygiene measures like washing your hands, and staying home if you feel sick. But the stuff we've been doing during covid, stuff like masks social distancing, that really has to end because that's no way to live. At the moment we don't really have any restrictions and can do what we like, so that's good, but it worries me that some scientists are still banging on about restrictions. They've stolen a year and a half of our lives, and they still aren't happy. Just when exactly do would they be happy for us to go back to complete normality? I don't think they ever would, because I don't think this is about health. I think this is about them wanting power and control over our lives. Susan Michie openly admits to being a communist and says she wants restrictions to go on forever. She's always giving talks about the best strategies to manipulate peoples behaviour for what she considers to be the greater good. These people are out of control, they seem to think they have the right to play god.
(edited 2 years ago)
I don't have a problem with basic hygiene measures like washing your hands, and staying home if you feel sick. But the stuff we've been doing during covid, stuff like masks social distancing, that really has to end because that's no way to live. At the moment we don't really have any restrictions and can do what we like, so that's good, but it worries me that some scientists are still banging on about restrictions. They've stolen a year and a half of our lives, and they still aren't happy. Just when exactly do would they be happy for us to go back to complete normality? I don't think they ever would, because I don't think this is about health. I think this is about them wanting power and control over our lives. Susan Michie openly admits to being a communist and says she wants restrictions to go on forever. She's always giving talks about the best strategies to manipulate peoples behaviour for what she considers to be the greater good. These people are out of control, they seem to think they have the right to play god.

Restrictions will more than likely happen again. It will have nothing to do with scientists wanting to control you though, but everything to do with the NHS getting overwhelmed. But you, of course, don't believe that could be an issue so will believe whatever you want to believe.
That's just bizarre tbh. Do they stay in hotels during flu season so they don't bring flu home to their families as well?

They work in a hospital, they must encounter viruses all the time. Are they this terrified of them all, and if so how do they ever get any work done if they are that terrified of contracting anything?

It's not "bizarre" - at my local hospital during the first peak of Covid (pre vaccination) staff were offered accommodation in "pods" set up in the large grounds of a local school that was in lockdown. I went to look at these pods as my husband was considering it but they were basically just tents.

He isn't a frontline worker so we didn't really see that the risk justified such extreme precautions but it blew my mind that dozens of doctors and nurses had voluntarily opted to live in these pods for weeks at a time so they could continue working with covid patients without the fear of bringing it home. But it's easy to forget now (post vaccination) how genuinely terrified of catching covid people were at one time, or of passing it on to someone more vulnerable.
Reply 44
Restrictions will more than likely happen again. It will have nothing to do with scientists wanting to control you though, but everything to do with the NHS getting overwhelmed. But you, of course, don't believe that could be an issue so will believe whatever you want to believe.

If restrictions will happen again, then what was the point of the vaccine? We were promised that was the way back to normal.

Over 90% of people have some kind of immunity now, whether from natural immunity or vaccination. Everyone who wants a jab is now eligible to get one. In my view, that should be the end of it. We need to get back to normal life and make restrictions a thing of the past, they were utterly miserable and we can't expect people to keep enduring that. If you don't agree, when do you think we should go completely back to normal?
Reply 45
Original post by harrysbar
It's not "bizarre" - at my local hospital during the first peak of Covid (pre vaccination) staff were offered accommodation in "pods" set up in the large grounds of a local school that was in lockdown. I went to look at these pods as my husband was considering it but they were basically just tents.

He isn't a frontline worker so we didn't really see that the risk justified such extreme precautions but it blew my mind that dozens of doctors and nurses had voluntarily opted to live in these pods for weeks at a time so they could continue working with covid patients without the fear of bringing it home. But it's easy to forget now (post vaccination) how genuinely terrified of catching covid people were at one time, or of passing it on to someone more vulnerable.

There's lots of viruses going around, but I bet they don't have accommodation pods for flus, or colds. People just accept catching those as inevitable, for example every damn winter without fail I catch a cold. But for some reason people are really struggling to accept the inevitability of covid. It's like they are determined to avoid it at all costs and are convinced they'll die if they get it. That fear has been deliberately orchestrated by scientists who pursued a policy of fearmongering to increase compliance with the restrictions.

I'm not vaccinated and I'm not bothered if I catch covid. I know it could in theory kill me, but so could the flu. The odds of either happening are extremely unlikely though, such a low possibility that I don't consider it worth genuinely worrying about. Life is for living, and I just want to get back to normal. I'm not going to follow any more restrictions, the deal was that the roadmap was irreversible.
If restrictions will happen again, then what was the point of the vaccine? We were promised that was the way back to normal.

Over 90% of people have some kind of immunity now, whether from natural immunity or vaccination. Everyone who wants a jab is now eligible to get one. In my view, that should be the end of it. We need to get back to normal life and make restrictions a thing of the past, they were utterly miserable and we can't expect people to keep enduring that. If you don't agree, when do you think we should go completely back to normal?

We will never go back to the normal you were used to pre-pandemic. The world has changed, get used to it.

I'm not going to follow any more restrictions, the deal was that the roadmap was irreversible.

You didn't follow the restrictions anyway so you pulling a one man protest is negligible.
Original post by DiddyDec
You are wrong as doctors have told you but of course they must be lying too. Everyone is lying but you.

They lied about masks to protect supplies for their own staff, and they lied that we could have 4000 deaths a day if we didn't lock down. That doesn't mean that everything they say a lie, but it means I have to treat anything they say with a fair degree of scepticism now. I personally don't believe NHS workers, I don't think they were as overwhelmed as they claim, but that's just my opinion and I should be entitled to that just as they are entitled to theirs. But these days it seems your not allowed to question the narrative.

Show me evidence that NHS staff lied about masks or statistics.

Your opinion is wrong, you are entitled to be wrong.

How are you "not allowed" since that is all you ever do?

Let's get back to the original thread. Context above.

I'm starting to wonder if you are really engaging in good faith here. What is it you think I've lied about? I've already provided links to back up the masks thing and the 4000 deaths a day. And fair enough a lot of people don't trust The Sun as a reputable link but the story is also available in other publications too.

You claimed that NHS doctors lied about masks and statistics.

You have provided no evidence to support this claim.

You have therefore lied and been party to spreading misinformation, how do you plead?
Reply 48
Let's get back to the original thread. Context above.

You claimed that NHS doctors lied about masks and statistics.

You have provided no evidence to support this claim.

You have therefore lied and been party to spreading misinformation, how do you plead?

You're being ridiculous now. If you want a good faith discussion then fair enough but I'm not interested in playing these mind games.
You're being ridiculous now. If you want a good faith discussion then fair enough but I'm not interested in playing these mind games.

It isn't a mind game, you made the claim and now you can't back it up with anything.

You can retract the claim and say you were wrong.
Reply 50

Me getting vaccinated wouldn't "ease pressure" on the NHS, as I'm not really at risk from needing hospital treatment.

How do you know. Sure, statistically, you have a low chance of being hospitalised, but someone your age will be hospitalised. How do you know it won't be you?
Reply 51
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-cancer-chemotherapy-delay-nottingham-b1925484.html

Utter disgrace.

People could die if they are denied treatment ffs! Why the hell would the NHS do this, do they just not care if people die, as long as they don't die from covid?

As you clearly didn't read the article, I'll help you out here.

Staff shortages at one hospital, caused by sickness and unfilled vacancies, have meant that a few patients have had their treatment temporarily suspended.

Now you have the actual story, what is it that you are complaining about>
Reply 52

That was just the opinion of a medieval historian and right-wing libertarian

If it had been a genuine prediction of what the deaths would be if we didn't lock down then fair enough.

But that's exactly what it was!
We did enter lockdown, so that figure was obviously not realised - but they still reached nearly 2000 a day, even with severe restrictions in place!!

Really don't understand what's going on in your head here.
Reply 53
It feels like your not allowed to criticize the NHS these days,

In response to a very limited cancellation of treatment caused by unavoidable staff shortages, you said...

"Utter disgrace. Why the hell would the NHS do this, do they just not care if people die"

Your personal attacks are completely unjustified, not to say unhinged. There is clearly some other issue at play here.
Reply 54
What's stopping you from getting on with your life?

Their personal, ongoing struggle with reality, by the sounds of it.

We are living in unprecedented times, meaning that no one can promise anything. And we are currently under so few restrictions that it barely feels like there are any restrictions at all so I don't really know what you keep complaining about.
Reply 56
We are living in unprecedented times

So we've never had a bad flu season before? Might I remind you of 2017-2018?
Shocking news. We are already ranked 20th in the list of countries for 5 year cancer survival rates.

Late 90s too. And that was without mass testing like we see now.

Nowhere near the same number of deaths as from covid. I would imagine much lower rate of admission to ITU too.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending