The Student Room Group

Diagnostic radiography work experience post-COVID

Hi all,

I'm hoping to apply to the MSc in Diagnostic Radiography and I'm struggling to get work experience in a hospital. They've cited COVID restrictions, which I understand, however it's really hard to write something on my personal statement due to this barrier.

I work at an abortion clinic and can probably secure a shadowing day with a sonographer at some point. But due to the nature of the work, shadowing might be limited as it's all dependent on whether the patients want a chaperone.

Is anyone else on the same boat? I'm really stuck on how to move forward and I've set my sights on this career path.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Original post by angela4764
Hi all,

I'm hoping to apply to the MSc in Diagnostic Radiography and I'm struggling to get work experience in a hospital. They've cited COVID restrictions, which I understand, however it's really hard to write something on my personal statement due to this barrier.

I work at an abortion clinic and can probably secure a shadowing day with a sonographer at some point. But due to the nature of the work, shadowing might be limited as it's all dependent on whether the patients want a chaperone.

Is anyone else on the same boat? I'm really stuck on how to move forward and I've set my sights on this career path.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

My daughter had the same issue last year and unis are aware of it. Even a day or half a day of shadowing is fine as unis want you to understand the role of a radiographer. Try other hospitals and use contacts to get in. My daughter accompanied a family member to an X-ray appointment and managed to arrange a day by talking to the radiographer. Otherwise working or volunteering in a care/health/public-facing setting is valuable experience for your application. Also check out 'a day in the life of a DR' videos on Youtube (they are often posted by NHS Trusts).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending