The Student Room Group

Should I take latin

Should I take GCSE Latin even if its not needed for what I want to do in the future

Scroll to see replies

Do you like latin/do you think you can get a good grade?
(edited 2 years ago)
yeah i like Latin and it seems like an interesting language and i'm quite confident i could get a 7 or higher
(edited 2 years ago)
It's up to you.

I started Latin when I was in sixth form, but later dropped it. As I'm now doing a degree in Classical Studies, and my module for next year is Latin, I probably should have stuck with the Latin when I was younger!
Reply 4
Original post by PositiveEIectron
Should I take GCSE Latin even if its not needed for what I want to do in the future

If you know what you want to do in the future, then you need to do those GCSE that will facilitate that. On top of that, do whatever other subjects you find interesting and enjoy. Most of the GCSEs I did aren't relevant to my career. I did GCSE Latin because I was good at Latin and enjoyed studying it -- but (as with the other language and science GCSEs I did) it's completely irrelevant to my job.

What else might you take?
yes, because Barbari ad portam sunt

Spoiler

GCSE option choices will essentially never make a difference in your later life so just take what you enjoy most. I'd definitely suggest doing Latin if you have the option and enjoy it though as it's not that widely available, and would be great preparation if you decide to do any degree with an ancient language component :smile:
Reply 8
If you enjoy it I would do it. It has a bit of street cred as a difficult subject too. How do you think BJ managed to become PM
Original post by Muttley79
What else might you take?

wdym? what other subjects do i take?
wdym? what other subjects do i take?

What are the alternatives to Latin?
Original post by Muttley79
What are the alternatives to Latin?

none, I want to take it outside of school hours
none, I want to take it outside of school hours

Don't do additional GCSEs ... you need to aim for top grades in school.
Reply 13
Hi OP! I take Latin; I really enjoy it and I'm hoping to continue to A Level. I would absolutely recommend it, especially if you already enjoy the subject, but do think carefully about the extra workload involved in taking another GCSE outside of school (especially Latin learning all the language and the set texts can be tricky). You don't want to jeopardise your performance in other subjects. Could you take Latin in school? If that isn't an option for you, what do your parents and teachers suggest? The right decision for you will depend on a number of factors (how many subjects you'll be taking in school, how heavy your workload will be, what grades you're expected to achieve, how effectively you'll be able to teach yourself the Latin content, etc), so I expect it would help to have a conversation with someone who knows you, your situation, and your goals. Good luck and feel free to message me if you want to hear more about Latin GCSE (I'm Year 11 and I take OCR Latin)!
Original post by Maya_K
Hi OP! I take Latin; I really enjoy it and I'm hoping to continue to A Level. I would absolutely recommend it, especially if you already enjoy the subject, but do think carefully about the extra workload involved in taking another GCSE outside of school (especially Latin learning all the language and the set texts can be tricky). You don't want to jeopardise your performance in other subjects. Could you take Latin in school? If that isn't an option for you, what do your parents and teachers suggest? The right decision for you will depend on a number of factors (how many subjects you'll be taking in school, how heavy your workload will be, what grades you're expected to achieve, how effectively you'll be able to teach yourself the Latin content, etc), so I expect it would help to have a conversation with someone who knows you, your situation, and your goals. Good luck and feel free to message me if you want to hear more about Latin GCSE (I'm Year 11 and I take OCR Latin)!

Right now, I'm taking 10 GCSEs and most of them are 6's and 7's predicted don't mean much I feel like I can improve with revision, my school can do Latin classes after school, but right now they don't, I think a few people in my year might be interested so I can ask and find out if the school can do it, while we're on the topic of Latin, what are some reliable ways I can learn Latin on the internet
Reply 15
Right now, I'm taking 10 GCSEs and most of them are 6's and 7's predicted don't mean much I feel like I can improve with revision, my school can do Latin classes after school, but right now they don't, I think a few people in my year might be interested so I can ask and find out if the school can do it, while we're on the topic of Latin, what are some reliable ways I can learn Latin on the internet

For the language, I would suggest finding the vocabulary lists online and using Quizlet (or Anki, or physical flashcards whatever works for you) to start memorising it all, and buying the textbook for whatever exam board you would be doing to introduce yourself to the grammar you'll need. If you're really keen to take Latin GCSE, you might want to look into the literature aspect of the course as well, so find out what set texts you'll need to learn and familiarise yourself with those. (Set texts can be pretty difficult to analyse stylistically, so I imagine you'd need to either learn those in school or buy a proper teaching guide if you decide to take Latin independently.) If you haven't already read it, I would highly recommend Mary Beard's book SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome (definitely not required for Latin GCSE, but a really great read if you're interested in Roman history)!

Don't take an additional - use the time to improve those grades. You'll have a limited choice of A levels with grade 6s.
Reply 17
I would say that Latin is definitely a fun subject and it is easy to get a grade 9 in it, however that is because we have really good Latin teachers in my school. I would say that if you are trying to do Latin outside of school, it could be quite difficult and also with Latin literature, there is a lot you will have to memorise.
Hope that helps :smile:
I also take latin (eduqas in year 10 right now) and i really enjoy it but be ready to memorise a lot of different set texts cos it is a lot and can sometimes feel quite overwhelming
do you like the subject?

just to let you know, it will change quite a bit going into gcse's in the sense you will have to do longer translations and get to study actual roman texts which i ofuund fun but everyone prefers different bits.

you can always drop / switch it if you don't like it!

Quick Reply

Latest