The Student Room Group

S6 subject choices for law

I am about to pick my S6 subjects and am hoping to study law at university but am unsure what to pick as my fourth subject.

I achieved straight A's at national 5 in history, English, rmps, business, maths, maths apps, modern studies and art.
I am predicted to achieve straight A's at higher in modern studies, politics, English, business and history.
In S6 i will be taking advanced higher in modern studies, history and English.
I am so far considered applying for university to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cambridge and Strathclyde.
I was wondering what subject would be best suited as my fourth? Ideally a higher- maybe rmps or childcare? Are there any subjects that these universities prefer for law?
you could take economics, im pretty sure that is good for law but im not 100%
Reply 2
Maths could be a nice addition - shows you can think logically and also useful if you decide you want to change career.
pretty sure Glasgow look for maths so I would do that
Reply 4
Original post by Avery7320
I am about to pick my S6 subjects and am hoping to study law at university but am unsure what to pick as my fourth subject.

I achieved straight A's at national 5 in history, English, rmps, business, maths, maths apps, modern studies and art.
I am predicted to achieve straight A's at higher in modern studies, politics, English, business and history.
I am so far considered applying for university to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cambridge and Strathclyde.
I was wondering what subject would be best suited as my fourth? Ideally a higher- maybe rmps or childcare? Are there any subjects that these universities prefer for law?
Babes in all honesty I wouldn’t do 4 subjects, unless your doing it just for the academic challenge, it’s probably not worth it. You have incredible grades (that higher maths will really give you an edge) and taking 4 subjects in S6 is a lot of work and quite frankly is not in any way needed. Very few people actually do 3 advanced highers, more commonly 2 AH and 1 Higher. Somebody I know does 2AH and 2H and she is swamped with work, she’s getting it done but it’s just more stress and work than it’s worth, take S6 as an opportunity to relax a little, that extra subject is not going to make or break an offer, and I promise you’ll be grateful for the time you got to spend enjoying S6 and hanging out with your friends in some of your frees! If you really wanted an edge I would swap out mods or history for maths but even then I don’t think you need it. Best of luck ❤️

Higher RMPS for sure. Choose a humanities essay based subject. Psychology is also good.
Reply 6
Original post by M2006
Babes in all honesty I wouldn’t do 4 subjects, unless your doing it just for the academic challenge, it’s probably not worth it. You have incredible grades (that higher maths will really give you an edge) and taking 4 subjects in S6 is a lot of work and quite frankly is not in any way needed. Very few people actually do 3 advanced highers, more commonly 2 AH and 1 Higher. Somebody I know does 2AH and 2H and she is swamped with work, she’s getting it done but it’s just more stress and work than it’s worth, take S6 as an opportunity to relax a little, that extra subject is not going to make or break an offer, and I promise you’ll be grateful for the time you got to spend enjoying S6 and hanging out with your friends in some of your frees! If you really wanted an edge I would swap out mods or history for maths but even then I don’t think you need it. Best of luck ❤️
Thanks so much for the lovely reply, it's reassuring to hear. I'm taking three adv highers as I'm am looking to apply to Cambridge, and taking 4 subjects as my school makes us take 4 subjects in S6. I think i will take childcare as all my friends are and it's unlikely to be in my offer so should be a nice break
Latin is a great option for law. I picked up Latin at higher and it was relatively easy. I'm now doing advanced higher which is significantly harder, but N5 is supper simple and would provide you with the foundations for legal Latin. It would also show Unis that you have the analytical skills needed for law.
Reply 8
Thanks so much for the lovely reply, it's reassuring to hear. I'm taking three adv highers as I'm am looking to apply to Cambridge, and taking 4 subjects as my school makes us take 4 subjects in S6. I think i will take childcare as all my friends are and it's unlikely to be in my offer so should be a nice break
That’s so mental you have to take four! I’ve never really heard of another school doing that - childcare sounds great though it’ll be relatively easy I imagine and a good laugh if your friends are all there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending