The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Woo my saq has arrived :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Offer from Glasgow for direct entry to second year !!!!! So ecstatic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Holprice
I am predicted ABC whats the likelihood of me getting on to an ABB course?

Any chance you could do some retakes to get your teacher to change that C to a B? I think that would be your best chance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How's everyone finding the jump from AS to A2? I've noticed a difference in 2 of my subjects. The other 2 just seem like a natural progression.
Original post by TheTechN1304
How's everyone finding the jump from AS to A2? I've noticed a difference in 2 of my subjects. The other 2 just seem like a natural progression.

I feel physics is quite a big jump (I'm with OCR) I reckon if I hadn't done as much wider reading as I have I'd be finding it really difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeahhhhhhhhhhhh electromagnetism

Original post by Bude8
yeahhhhhhhhhhhh electromagnetism

Do you want help with it or are you just posting that randomly? :redface: If you do, think Lenz's law :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
Do you want help with it or are you just posting that randomly? :redface: If you do, think Lenz's law :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just felt like posting it, it's a bitch of a question but I know how to do it :tongue:
Original post by Bude8
Just felt like posting it, it's a bitch of a question but I know how to do it :tongue:

Fair enough, I couldn't work out if you did or not :tongue: It's not too bad though as questions like that go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8

Bude8!!! Do you still remember me?? How's going?? Are you all set for Pembroke Cambridge??
Original post by JackTeh96
Bude8!!! Do you still remember me?? How's going?? Are you all set for Pembroke Cambridge??

Oi he's a Christ's lad
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Oi he's a Christ's lad

Why??
Original post by rachelc142
Any chance you could do some retakes to get your teacher to change that C to a B? I think that would be your best chance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah true, in spanish I was predicted to get a C at AS then a B overall.. I was getting C's and b's through year 12 and in the exam I totally panic and ruined my whole grade.. I got an E😟 so its hard for them to bump up the grade. I just did resits though and got solid C's so its in my teachers hands now

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Oi he's a Christ's lad

Why??

Haha yeah of course I remember you Jack! :smile:

I was advised heavily against applying to Pembroke, as we had an excellent Natural Scientist applicant who did IB a few years back and he got rejected without interview. They didn't even say why, so I was advised to avoid it. I asked my teachers which college would be best for me and they said Christs. Sorry Jack :frown:

I've sent my application off, they've received it and now I just need to fill in my SAQ :smile:

How are your applications coming along?
Original post by Bude8

I was advised heavily against applying to Pembroke, as we had an excellent Natural Scientist applicant who did IB a few years back and he got rejected without interview. They didn't even say why, so I was advised to avoid it. I asked my teachers which college would be best for me and they said Christs. Sorry Jack :frown:

I've sent my application off, they've received it and now I just need to fill in my SAQ :smile:

Do you feel as if you're at a disadvantage when applying to Cambridge because you have no equivalent of AS results?
Original post by TheTechN1304

Maths is the only thing I've noticed a difference in, and even then it's just a little one. History and english seem fine so far.
Original post by Bude8

I also changed my mind actually.. I put down Downing college because my friends are going there and I really like the accommodation during my open day visit there..
I also sent off mine already, yet to fill in the DREADFULL SAQ!!!!! (can't think of anything extra to include in the SAQ...) Are we strongly encouraged to fill in every aspect of SAQ?? :frown:

what are your predicted IB? what's ur stats again?
Original post by Red Fox
Do you feel as if you're at a disadvantage when applying to Cambridge because you have no equivalent of AS results?

They say they look at our GCSE results a bit more closely since we don't have As results, but I don't think it's too bad. I'm half half A*/A in my GCSEs, but I got an A* in all the relevant subjects + an A in AdMaths. I don't think I would have done that much better if I actually did some revision though :lol: IIRC the new A levels mean there won't be As results, so that levels the playing field I suppose.

I also changed my mind actually.. I put down Downing college because my friends are going there and I really like the accommodation during my open day visit there..
I also sent off mine already, yet to fill in the DREADFULL SAQ!!!!! (can't think of anything extra to include in the SAQ...) Are we strongly encouraged to fill in every aspect of SAQ?? :frown:

what are your predicted IB? what's ur stats again?

I'm predicted 43/45 now :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bude8
They say they look at our GCSE results a bit more closely since we don't have As results, but I don't think it's too bad. I'm half half A*/A in my GCSEs, but I got an A* in all the relevant subjects + an A in AdMaths. I don't think I would have done that much better if I actually did some revision though :lol: IIRC the new A levels mean there won't be As results, so that levels the playing field I suppose.

I'm predicted 43/45 now :lol:

Really well done mate!!!
Original post by Abi790
I had an argument with a girl at a medicine conference (I had already paid for ) after I deicded on Biochem, she was pretty rude about my choice and the fact I go to state school so I feel quite passionately about this! :P I origenally wanted to be a medic, but I love Biochem, and couldn't imagine myself enjoying any other course as much.... Medicine I felt abit... meh about. I was only considering it for the jobs. I have spent lots of time in labs, especially cancer research as its a particular interest for me... the researchers are biochemists or geneticists. The people I have spoken to say if you love your subject and want to do a PhD then there are definitely subject specific jobs. Aside from research there are jobs in pharmaceutical companies, not just lab work but lots of graduates go into rep and averting jobs for the big drug companies. Equally, there is the food industry, hospital labs, Forensics... there list goes on. Sure, the jobs aren't guaranteed like with medicine, but most degrees aren't vocational. What do you do with a History or English degree is much the same question in my opinion. I just think I'll get the best degree in a subject I want to be doing than one I feel half hearted about, and not enjoy a career in.

Oooops sorry, I missed your message because of too many quotes lol.

State school for the win!
You are right. I also am interesting in BioChem.

But I still want to try and go into medicine as I would much rather do that IMO but if I can't I will fall back on this. But then I would have to take a gap year and if I don't get the grades, it could be a waste of year.

I could apply for BioChem this year, but I haven't even started my application. I already told my teachers I wasn't going to be applying for uni this year too. I doubt I would also be able to do a good Personal statement in this time period.

But it would be stupid to not apply as if I don't get AAA, then I could start Biochem straight away(as long as I meet the grade requirements, I want to go to a pretty good uni too), I would then have wasted a year for nothing.

Seems like I need advice on this lol.

Latest