The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

based on my own experience

most rah-bristol, warwick

most posh-oxbridge, lse

ive been to one of each category, it is unfortunate yes.
Reply 241
I always found LSE to be full of the most foreign students, especially Asians and Arabs. Same goes for Oxford, although there's a lot of Americans and Russians there too. Cambridge seems a little more British, but more Math/Science geeky, surprisingly. Oxford always had more of a tradition with the arts and humanities over the hard sciences, so I'm surprised the Asian element isn't stronger in Cambridge.
Reply 242
Hey! according your 'rah rules' i can be classified as a rah as i have stuff like a JW gilet and i have a lot of clothes from stores like Abercrombie and i got to a private school in the souh. However, you automatically jump to the conclusion that we are snobbs, we are mega rich aTnd look down on everyone BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE - you need to get out in the world. I see myself as no different and i just got these clothes as presents and because i like them not because i think it will make me look superior!!!!!

STOP STEREOTYPING
Original post by McFabbie
Hey! according your 'rah rules' i can be classified as a rah as i have stuff like a JW gilet and i have a lot of clothes from stores like Abercrombie and i got to a private school in the souh. However, you automatically jump to the conclusion that we are snobbs, we are mega rich aTnd look down on everyone BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE - you need to get out in the world. I see myself as no different and i just got these clothes as presents and because i like them not because i think it will make me look superior!!!!!

STOP STEREOTYPING

FYI Jack Wills doesn't make you look good rather like your wearing pjs
Original post by McFabbie

STOP STEREOTYPING

Looks like post no.1 is going well for you...

Of course there's a distinction between being a dick and dressing like one. But it doesn't mean people can't judge you for the latter.
why is everyone on the student room so viciously against anyone who dosen't live in a terraced house, go to state school or the university of aberwystwith and read the sun? grow up. everyone's different and if you don't want to meet people outside of your little state-funded bubble don't apply to university.
Original post by lottie1992
why is everyone on the student room so viciously against anyone who dosen't live in a terraced house, go to state school or the university of aberwystwith and read the sun? grow up. everyone's different and if you don't want to meet people outside of your little state-funded bubble don't apply to university.

That's a good point, I'm actually looking forward to meeting people from different backgrounds and stuff.. at the end of the day if they aren't dicks to me I have no reason to be a dick to them..
It's weird, people say all over the UK when their face is shown that they are tolerant and open to different backgrounds and cultures....

But when you come on here, everyone has their head up their ass and won't hang out with someone if they wear a different brand of clothing. Then you get this massive elephant in the room when someone from a muslim, or asian background walks in, and everyone is so **** scared of their intolerance bleeding out and the conversation just dies.

I really like where my generation is heading.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Drewzee
How on earth can you leave out York!!!!:dontknow:

How can you spend more than a nanosecond ranking the UK's universities in a list is more mind boggling.....
Original post by Drewzee
LMAO actually thats true aswel dude!! these guys are complete douchebags they myt aswel work for the sun, daily mail or another crappy tabloid as publishers and then they can publish their outrageous uni league tables! its ridiculous it just is!:rolleyes:

Well judging by most the of replies, they probably will end up having to write crap for those 'newspapers'
Original post by danny111
i dont even know who or what Jack Wills is? what does that make me?

I didn't know what is was until I went to uni (Exeter). Need I say more?
Reply 251
Original post by Pete's Dragon
If you want to avoid a rah uni, then go to a big civic like Manchester, B'ham, Sheffield.

Can't vouch for the others, but there were certainly tasty helpings of fruity rahness at B'ham. Though mainly in the Medical school. Reflection tells me the old Cadbury's hall of residence was also a magnet for such specimens, though alas the habitat has been given over to the feral beasts of the surrounding area.
Original post by Drewzee

Original post by chrislpp
How can you spend more than a nanosecond ranking the UK's universities in a list is more mind boggling.....

What are you guys on about?! That was a list showing proportion of applicants from state schools, about as close to an 'answer' as you will get for this topic. Its called using evidence, something which is a pretty alien concept to most on TSR i know.

EDIT: Putting this aside and looking at league tables: its not like its only the newspapers that use these kinds of stats. The government has to determine what funding unis get - this has to be determined somehow. Feel free to laugh at league tables all you like (they are undoubtedly very flawed), but recognise that they have a difficult and yet very important job.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 253
Original post by lottie1992

It's quite a large bubble, actually, the majority of the population.

Whilst I really do not agree with this thread, and find the ever increasing numbers of them (as well as snobbery and inverse snobbery) quite tiresome, I do feel that your post is very offensive to the University of Aber :p: Why chose it? Because it was provincial sounding?

Anyway it may surpise you to find out that, as the overwhelming numbers of TSR members are middle class with a disproportionate number of privately educated students, the vast majority do not live in terrace houses or read the sun.

Original post by Drewzee

It wasn't a league table. It was a list of universities with the smallest percentage of applications coming from state school students. If York isn't listed then York has a higher percentage of state school educated students than those listed. Simples. No conspiracy against York.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Pete's Dragon

If you want to avoid a rah uni, then go to a big civic .

Not totally true!!

Leeds is a big civic university but it has a lot of rahs who wear Jack Wills, drive flash cars and speak with plummy accents.

My mate at Leeds said there're people in his halls who went to Eton, Harrow, Westminster and Charterhouse!! :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by T. Hereford
Not totally true!!

Leeds is a big civic university but it has a lot of rahs who wear Jack Wills, drive flash car and speak with plummy accents.

My mate at Leeds said there're people in his halls who went to Eton, Harrow, Westmisnter and Charterhouse!! :eek:

Nooo :afraid:
Original post by Bella Occhi
Nooo :afraid:

Hahaha!! Don't worry!!

As with any top university, they're are going to be rah / people who went to public schools. However, most of them are fine so don't get too nervous about it!!:smile: You'll be fine!!
Original post by jklmn
I've never heard chundered in real life, pretty sure thats made up, but everyone (in London and around the country) uses lash and pre-lash.

haha bath uses chunder quite a lot
Original post by T. Hereford
Not totally true!!

Leeds is a big civic university but it has a lot of rahs who wear Jack Wills, drive flash cars and speak with plummy accents.

My mate at Leeds said there're people in his halls who went to Eton, Harrow, Westminster and Charterhouse!! :eek:

Someone once said to me "Leeds is very underrated when it comes to rahs."
Reply 259
Is jack wills considered to be expensive clothing? because it's definitely not.

Latest

Trending

Trending