The Student Room Group

ACORN classification confusion

Im trying to see if i fit into the contextuals for some unis , ACORN was the most representative data because it looked at individual streets rather than post code groupings , im from a very posh postcode but im from a side of it thats low income rather deprived and mostly council homes , so all the other demographics data such as POLAR still put me as like the top 10 percent or so of the UK , but ACORN put me in quintile 5 which was the worst ,however i went to check the status of my post code but again the whole data format has changed , unis ask for type 40 and above instead of quintiles now , and my postcode shows as category: 3 Thriving Neighbourhoods, group segment:Metropolitan Surroundings,type segments :22 Younger families and sharers in city terraces.However none of these descriptions appear in the user guide for acorn.
(edited 4 months ago)
Universities don’t use ACORN for contextual offers. ACORN is a profiling developed for marketing and doesn’t demonstrate anything about education deprivation.

You need to check with them directly what criteria they use. POLAR, IMD and SIMD are the most common.
Reply 2
As above, there isnt a 'universal' data set used by all Unis, so you will have to check carefully on each Uni's website to see that they use and if you qualify. Some also use criteria like Free School Meals etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending